• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Character:JOVOv끙v
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Blade Master
  • Guild:천하무패

Posted Nov 21, 2012 - 7:19 AM

I just got a question because im not really good at these stuff :surrender:
I'm thinking of starting BNS again but the problems I got REALLY BAD internet.... it's like 3-5mbps download and 0.2-0.4upload.... how badly will I lag... and If i got internet speeds up to around 40+down and 30+upload... would i lag? thanks~
by the way i live in canada, ontario~

User is offline   Hisano 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationJylland, Denmark
  • Character:Hisane

Posted Nov 21, 2012 - 7:51 AM

First off, your internet needs to be godlike if you even want to play below 500 ms without any tunneling service. I run 50 Mbit internet and without any VPN like WTFast, I run at 350 ms. Even WITH WTFast I run with 250 or so, it simply will not go lower. I live in Denmark, but shouldn't make too much of a difference. But honestly, you need better net to even log on the game :P
Characters:
Hisane - Level 22 Female Jin Blade Master
Dekomori - Level 16 Female Lyn Force Master
Majii - Level 11 Female Jin Assassin

My literary work, Marinesnow of Orion (worktitle, not final :D) has now begun! Please visit my topic and comment/vote on the characters and the world I create for them peeps! It helps me a lot more than you'd think! What do you like/dislike about my characters? (They'll be updated along the way)
Marinesnow of Orion - Characters

User is online   Aari 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Character:Aari
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Nov 21, 2012 - 8:24 AM

Internet Download/Upload speed =! Ping to a game.

Those two things are mostly independent of each other. Your download/upload speed is deperment by the bandwith of the connection that your ISP can supply.
Your ping is more dependend of the distance to the server you want to connect. The length of the way from your house to the next collection point (Its really hard for me to describe this in english :( ).

I said mostly independent, as a better Download/Upload speed means a better connection from your house to your ISP wich of course will give you better ping. But as an example, I used to have around 1mbps down and even lower up, now i have about 10times as much, that doesnt mean my ping has actually improved that much. ( Probably around 20 to German Servers).

Hisano said that he is living in denmark while you live in Canada, that actually makes a huge difference. As mentioned, your ping is dependend of how far your destination (Korea) is. Hisano has to take all the way to and over the USA to Korea while you allready are above the USA (WAY closer to Korea then Hisano is), thus your ping will be a lot better then his.
In my example, I have about 120ms to a Virginia Server and fromt there the rest of the way to Korea. Someone living in Virginia itself would have around 20ms to the Virginia server and then the rest to korea so about 100ms less.

This post has been edited by Aari: Nov 21, 2012 - 8:26 AM

Posted Image
Click the Picute for a Livestream with B&S and Tera in 1080p
Youtube Channel with BnS Gameplay & Guides

User is offline   Hisano 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationJylland, Denmark
  • Character:Hisane

Posted Nov 21, 2012 - 10:12 AM

@Aari: I meant that it shouldn't make too much of a difference because his net is so horrible, not about the distance between his country and Korea :) If his net is just a little bit unstable with that kind of speed, he won't be able to log into the servers and the game without almost disconnecting before making a character. Though yes, his ping would be better than mine theoretically, since he is closer to Korea.
Characters:
Hisane - Level 22 Female Jin Blade Master
Dekomori - Level 16 Female Lyn Force Master
Majii - Level 11 Female Jin Assassin

My literary work, Marinesnow of Orion (worktitle, not final :D) has now begun! Please visit my topic and comment/vote on the characters and the world I create for them peeps! It helps me a lot more than you'd think! What do you like/dislike about my characters? (They'll be updated along the way)
Marinesnow of Orion - Characters

User is offline   Fatal 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Race:Gon
  • Class:Destroyer

Posted Nov 21, 2012 - 12:26 PM

Test your ping with http://speedtest.net/ to a korean server.

If it's under 250ms it'll probably play fine.

This post has been edited by Fatal: Nov 21, 2012 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   spencerBAXLEY 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationGA, USA
  • Race:Lyn
  • Class:Force Master
  • Guild:Bladefall [BDF]

Posted Nov 21, 2012 - 1:04 PM

View PostFatal, on Nov 21, 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

Test your ping with http://speedtest.net/ to a korean server.

If it's under 250ms it'll probably play fine.

239ms! I'm actually surprised by my result. TBH, I figured it'd be awful. I live in a town with ONE ISP so they don't really have much incentive to do anything really well. XD

User is offline   seungwhonee 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Character:JOVOv끙v
  • Guild:천하무패

Posted Nov 22, 2012 - 3:08 AM

read all of em thanks alot guys!
also if you wanna ask any questions about BNS... up until uh the gatling gun girl.. just ask away.. since I finished up till there before i came back to canada..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users