User is offline   naughTAYE 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Race:Kun
  • Class:Force Master

Posted Nov 08, 2012 - 7:41 PM

Hey, guys! I need some help! I'm buying a gaming laptop on Black Friday but I'm not sure what I should get. I was going to get Asus G75vw-ds72 from xoticpc.com. It's not the best but it's sufficient for moderate gaming. Any suggestions? My budget is around 1k-2k.

This post has been edited by Ryochan: Nov 08, 2012 - 7:48 PM
Reason for edit: You said 15k-2k !!!!!!!!

User is offline   Ryochan 

• |~Yorai Dragon~|
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationNJ
  • Character:Ryochan
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Nov 08, 2012 - 7:49 PM

Unfortunately, until probably 1 or 2 weeks from now. You might not see the Black Friday sales up yet.
http://www.youtube.com/yoraidragon
Rick James: "Cocain Tree Of Savor is a hell of a drug." *giggles*
Posted Image

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • View gallery

Posted Nov 08, 2012 - 7:54 PM

Well, yeah, but I at least want some suggestions about what laptop to get. I've been talking to you about it but I want other opinions.

Thanks for the edit BTW, I missed the dot (.) on 15k! xD

User is offline   Set 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationNew York
  • Class:Blade Master

Posted Nov 08, 2012 - 10:06 PM

I can't seem to find "G75vw-ds72" on that particular site, so looking at the specs of it is troublesome. However, other sites seem to have similar specs for it. That price is a bit steep but it should be more than sufficient for gaming, those are some high end specs. Everywhere I seem to look the price is somewhat close to 2k. You can try taking a look at the 17.3" x17 here http://www.digitalst...minglaptops.asp

Since I mainly see the Asus G75 around 2k, the 17" options on the site I provided has 3 options that fits your budget while being close to the specs of the G75. The specs of level one are similar but slightly lacking, won't effect performance really. Level 2 surpasses the G75.

The Asus G75 definitely seems nice though, if you can find it lower I'd definitely go for it.
Posted Image

Path of Exile Witch Passive skills
http://tinyurl.com/apmm4rt

• |~Yorai Dragon~|
  • LocationNJ

Posted Nov 08, 2012 - 11:20 PM

Asus G75 on newegg atm. 1.4k, pretty good reviews from 47 ppl.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230408
Posted Image

User is offline   Set 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationNew York

Posted Nov 08, 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostRyochan, on Nov 08, 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

Asus G75 on newegg atm. 1.4k, pretty good reviews from 47 ppl.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230408

That just blew my mind /('D')/. I built 2 complete desktops this year and did a large amount of shopping from newegg, it never crossed my mind to look up a comp from there. I'll be surprised if there's a cheaper one than that, anywhere.
Posted Image

Path of Exile Witch Passive skills
http://tinyurl.com/apmm4rt

User is offline   JemL 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationMéxico
  • Race:Undecided
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Nov 09, 2012 - 5:05 AM

i would just go to alienware

User is offline   Itachi.Uchiha 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Character:Itachi.Uchiha
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master

Posted Nov 09, 2012 - 5:10 AM

A big advice, Don't buy a 17 inch gaming laptop, they are huge and heavy. And when your laptop is a bit old after 2 or 3 years, you will have a slow massive chunk of hardware.

Unless of course you are into big screens. But Asus is a good company to go, they develop their own hardware and are really good at it. They are the current leading company in motherboards.

However, like I said a 17" laptop is big, go for a desktop instead if you can, since the performance for the same price rises drastically.

I would advice, never go for the strongest hardware the market has to offer, that is a WASTE of money, since the price rises exponentially while the performance rises linear.

I personally have the alienware m14x. 14" laptop is the best thing what you can get in my opinion, but that's a matter of taste. It can run every game on the market with medium settings more or less. Asus also release the new G46. that one has a stronger graphics card than the M14X. so yeah. That one is also a very good choice.

Like I said. The amount you pay for a laptop should NEVER be higher than 1500€ If it does, you are for sure being ripped off, be sure about that.
Posted Image

真実を見せてやる
shinjitsu o misete yaru

ROSACEA FAMILY
- "Shall I fight for you?"

User is offline   Soultaker 

• 千ブレードダンシング
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Character:Kyoskae
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Nov 09, 2012 - 6:00 AM

Why not a desktop exactly?
Posted Image

Are you someone who loves treasure and close bonds then check out Thieves Den! Click the pretty picture for infos on us ;D

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • View gallery

Posted Nov 10, 2012 - 12:37 AM

View PostSet, on Nov 08, 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

I can't seem to find "G75vw-ds72" on that particular site, so looking at the specs of it is troublesome. However, other sites seem to have similar specs for it. That price is a bit steep but it should be more than sufficient for gaming, those are some high end specs. Everywhere I seem to look the price is somewhat close to 2k. You can try taking a look at the 17.3" x17 here http://www.digitalst...aptops.aspSince I mainly see the Asus G75 around 2k, the 17" options on the site I provided has 3 options that fits your budget while being close to the specs of the G75. The specs of level one are similar but slightly lacking, won't effect performance really. Level 2 surpasses the G75.The Asus G75 definitely seems nice though, if you can find it lower I'd definitely go for it.

Yeah, I just noticed a couple days ago that the ds72 on the site is gone. Out of stock, maybe? And thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

View PostRyochan, on Nov 08, 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

Asus G75 on newegg atm. 1.4k, pretty good reviews from 47 ppl.http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230408

I did see this one, I'm actually considering getting the laptop from newegg instead of xoticpc.

View PostJemL, on Nov 09, 2012 - 5:05 AM, said:

i would just go to alienware

Eh... I don't know about this one, I feel like I'm spending my money on just the brand. Alienware laptops are really nice, though.

View PostItachi.Uchiha, on Nov 09, 2012 - 5:10 AM, said:

A big advice, Don't buy a 17 inch gaming laptop, they are huge and heavy. And when your laptop is a bit old after 2 or 3 years, you will have a slow massive chunk of hardware.Unless of course you are into big screens. But Asus is a good company to go, they develop their own hardware and are really good at it. They are the current leading company in motherboards.However, like I said a 17" laptop is big, go for a desktop instead if you can, since the performance for the same price rises drastically. I would advice, never go for the strongest hardware the market has to offer, that is a WASTE of money, since the price rises exponentially while the performance rises linear.I personally have the alienware m14x. 14" laptop is the best thing what you can get in my opinion, but that's a matter of taste. It can run every game on the market with medium settings more or less. Asus also release the new G46. that one has a stronger graphics card than the M14X. so yeah. That one is also a very good choice.Like I said. The amount you pay for a laptop should NEVER be higher than 1500€ If it does, you are for sure being ripped off, be sure about that.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I really like big screens! xD It's not only for gaming but for watching movies as well.

View PostSoultaker, on Nov 09, 2012 - 6:00 AM, said:

Why not a desktop exactly?

I knew this question will pop up eventually. I want a laptop so I can bring it along during travels. I want to be able to watch movies or play games whenever I get bored while staying at a hotel or relatives' house.

User is offline   Kitsune 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationRequiem Forest
  • Character:Kitsune
  • Race:Lyn

Posted Nov 21, 2012 - 1:27 AM

I'm not too keen on all the great gaming computers out there and the like, but why not build your own? I imagine it would reduce the costs of it all significantly.

This post has been edited by Kitsune: Dec 07, 2012 - 2:39 AM

Posted Image

User is offline   Napsys 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationHolland
  • Character:Napsys
  • Guild:Nocturne: Rosacea Family

Posted Nov 21, 2012 - 12:01 PM

i got the medion erazer 17 inch laptop.. and so far i have no complaints, its a thick laptop though so youd need a good laptopbag for it.
i havent gotten the chance to test it on any of the new mmorpgs so i might just try TERA for that.

the screen is fucking lovely, but im pretty sure a 15.6 inch would work just as well, (i wouldnt want to go lower than that though >.>)

i also wanted to go for the G75, that laptop is probably one of the best in the price-performance range.
but since i had lots of trouble with ordering it as im from Europe (and here they are still around 1800.. >.>) i went for an alternative.

the medion erazer, i take it to school everyday and ofcourse a small laptop would be nicer but i can still manage, so dont worry bout it too much.
Posted Image

User is offline   katty1166 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip

Posted Dec 06, 2012 - 2:10 AM

View PostnaughTAYE, on Nov 08, 2012 - 7:41 PM, said:

Hey, guys! I need some help! I'm buying a gaming laptop on Black Friday but I'm not sure what I should get. I was going to get Asus G75vw-ds72 from xoticpc.com. It's not the best but it's sufficient for moderate gaming. Any suggestions? My budget is around 1k-2k.

Planning get a gaming laptop at 1K-2K is not hard , just check here, look into the features and reviews

User is offline   Kryscent 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Character:Kryscent
  • Guild:Descendants

Posted Dec 06, 2012 - 8:59 AM

Actually, a core i5 Desktop would suffice more than anything, at least the minimum. But if you want to go for the highest performance, Alienware.
Posted Image
Please do PM me or post in my support thread here if you got any kinds of problem about China Blade and Soul / Translation

User is offline   Exodus 

• Do you feel lucky, Punk?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationValhalla
  • Race:Gon
  • Class:Destroyer
  • Guild:♣ Lotus - 山 Leader ♣

Posted Dec 06, 2012 - 9:40 AM

Asus GXXX: Good laptops with solid structure and good airflow but ugly as hell
Alienware: Overpriced but you can remove/Add your own parts, looks sweet, helicopter fan when gaming
Apple Retina: A white beauty, crisp monitor, will run games but not as high as any of the other gaming laptops mentioned here, fan noise zero% but overpriced as FFFFF
Razer Blade: The black beauty, basically a PC Mac, really overpriced

All of them are around 2K

If i was you tho i would go for the Alienware and mod the fans.. but thats just me

This post has been edited by Exodus: Dec 06, 2012 - 9:41 AM

Posted Image
Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω

User is offline   Jayrune 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • LocationTexas
  • Race:Lyn
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Dec 06, 2012 - 12:05 PM

http://www.sagernote...selected_cat=11

Just another source i haven't seen mentioned yet.
Posted Image

• |~Yorai Dragon~|
  • LocationNJ

Posted Dec 06, 2012 - 4:46 PM

Well I ordered this one, waiting for it to arrive soon~ Performance is awesome, the case is awesome, and the price is really good!
http://www.xoticpc.c...nes-p-4886.html
Posted Image

User is offline   Kryscent 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Character:Kryscent
  • Guild:Descendants

Posted Dec 06, 2012 - 8:13 PM

View PostRyochan, on Dec 06, 2012 - 4:46 PM, said:

Well I ordered this one, waiting for it to arrive soon~ Performance is awesome, the case is awesome, and the price is really good!
http://www.xoticpc.c...nes-p-4886.html

Wow, it looks so badass, love the color and the design of it! Gonna get myself one gaming laptop soon enough, too.
Posted Image
Please do PM me or post in my support thread here if you got any kinds of problem about China Blade and Soul / Translation

User is offline   Exodus 

• Do you feel lucky, Punk?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationValhalla
  • Class:Destroyer
  • Guild:♣ Lotus - 山 Leader ♣

Posted Dec 09, 2012 - 12:22 PM

This should be moved into the Tech talk section btw :tongue:
Posted Image
Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω

User is offline   Blissed 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • LocationNYC
  • Character:KR:Feisty CN:Gandalf

Posted Dec 09, 2012 - 6:38 PM

Go for the Sager/Clevo, models. They are sturdy and are available for future upgrades. They have the capacity to hold the 680m, 7970m, unlike the Asus. The Sager 9370 comes with two GPU slots, so you can purchase 1 GPU and purchase another in the future for better performance. As for the cooling, they are cooled sufficiently and efficiently (Dual fans placed on the rear just like the Asus).

Imagine playing on a Sager 9370 with two 7970ms or 680ms.

As for the appearance, the Sager/Clevo models look really sleek, plain and professional, doesn't look flashy and childish like the Alienware, so you can save your embarrassment if you want to bring this to school.

http://www.xoticpc.c...0em-p-4896.html 17" model with dual slot GPU
I'm using this current model, with a single 7970m, i7 3630QM, 12GB DDR3 1600MHz, 128GB SSD for OS, and 1TB HDD for storage in total it costed me ~$1800.
With future upgrades for the CPU, add another GPU, or add another HDD, this is a great deal. The build is also quite sturdy and nice.

Here are the other models.
http://www.xoticpc.c...0em-p-4342.html 17" model with single slot GPU
http://www.xoticpc.c...0em-p-4341.html 15" with single slot GPU

Definitely recommend a Sager/Clevo model. But I recommend also doing your own research. Browse through Notebookreviews forums.

This post has been edited by Blissed: Dec 09, 2012 - 6:44 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users