Will Blade and Soul be a Grindfest? Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

User is offline   תומר 智能 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Race:Lyn
  • Class:Force Master

Posted Aug 14, 2012 - 10:52 AM

I hated the grindfest in Tera, and how repetitive the quests are. For those that played the game, is it the same?

I searched the forums, but I do apologize if I missed a thread discussing this.

Thanks,
Tomer

User is offline   Lithia 

• ~ Mirage Fractal Butterfly ~
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • Character:Lithia / Cerez
  • Race:Gon
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master
  • Guild:(Formerly) Odyssey

Posted Aug 14, 2012 - 11:04 AM

It hasn't really been discussed that much,
but from what I could conclude the MMO does feel very traditional,
with that, too, the need of grinding.
So I expect, especially in the later levels, there will be quite a bit of grinding involved.

- Lith. ...FS-crooked.

User is offline   Seraphy 

• Flower in the Mountain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Character:Maiya
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Aug 14, 2012 - 11:16 AM

There are a few troublesome levels: 19, 29, 33, 41-42 that can hinder your progress. You can typically finish all your quests before reaching the next level that you may need for more story quests/side quests. Many people do the daily quests to get their EXP, and it's probably much more efficient than grinding in Blade & Soul. A majority of the dailies involve going into a cave and killing a boss, or interacting/gathering something at the very end of the cave. So yes, it is rather repetitive. The type of quests are not very unique, with many just being kill X amount or gather X amount of some item.

This post has been edited by Seraphy: Aug 14, 2012 - 11:17 AM

User is offline   Tashigi 

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Aug 14, 2012 - 11:48 AM

TERA was a "grindfest"? You MMOG kiddos need to look up these definitions before using them.
Anyway, B&S is almost identical to TERA and WOW quest-wise and no, they're NOT a grindfest. They can be repetitive, but they won't force you to grind non-stop.
I hear B&S can feel a bit "grindy" but I never leveled past Lv 20 and up until then, I did not get this feeling. Was it repetitive? Oh yes, very much so. Just like TERA.

For "grindfest" games refer to FFXI, RO, AION, Lineage II, etc.

If you want a game that "lifts" the repetitive feel and grindy feel in MMOG, you should invest in Guild Wars 2 IMO.
Everyone should.

This post has been edited by 回し蹴り ★: Aug 14, 2012 - 12:11 PM

User is offline   Shinaji 

• Emperor of Lightning ( 雷帝 뇌제 )
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationJamaica
  • Character:Something Cool
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Assassin
  • Guild:Slayers' Tower

Posted Aug 14, 2012 - 11:49 AM

You can take Aion of the list, last time I played I kept out leveling everything because they bumped exp from kills an quests. Some items I got from dungeons were uselless to me since I out leveled em so fast. Plus I heard they made it easier again recently.

User is offline   KTcraft 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUS

Posted Aug 14, 2012 - 7:30 PM

View Post回し蹴り ★, on Aug 14, 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

TERA was a "grindfest"? You MMOG kiddos need to look up these definitions before using them.
Anyway, B&S is almost identical to TERA and WOW quest-wise and no, they're NOT a grindfest. They can be repetitive, but they won't force you to grind non-stop.
I hear B&S can feel a bit "grindy" but I never leveled past Lv 20 and up until then, I did not get this feeling. Was it repetitive? Oh yes, very much so. Just like TERA.

For "grindfest" games refer to FFXI, RO, AION, Lineage II, etc.

If you want a game that "lifts" the repetitive feel and grindy feel in MMOG, you should invest in Guild Wars 2 IMO.
Everyone should.

Tashigi... it bothers me... and disappoints me that you would post something so pretentious, and disrespectful-especially in response to an OP who only joined this year, and has a relatively low post count. Maybe you can't see it, but to me it feels like you are talking down on other players as if their experience is insignificant, or negligible, the "MMOG kiddos" comment was wholly unnecessary. As far as the definition of "grindfest"... grindfest is a made up word. It would be arrogance to assume one knows the "true" definition of a street/slang term such as grindfest.
Though it doesn't have a dictionary definition, If I were asked to define it, I'd probably say... -

Regarding games: A game requiring copious amounts of repetitive actions to obtain a higher status within the game world, usually in order to achieve a specific goal, such as reaching a maximum level, obtaining a specific piece of gear or armor, or to increase the character's standing among factions. The repetitive actions could include but are not limited to, completing quests, killing npcs, crafting items, gathering materials, engaging in pvp.

As I see it, because there isn't a good quantifiable number for "copious amounts", in terms of time spent, npcs killed, etc. It really ends up being the eye of the beholder. Many "hardcore" mmorpg gamers do not consider World of Warcraft to be a grind relatively speaking, and yet, more casual players see it as a complete grindfest.

From my experience playing BnS on the Atomix server, I feel it has a bit of a quest grind so far. This is somewhat nullified by the innovative combat system and the beautiful environments. Grinds are inevitable in current MMOS, BnS is no exception, the key is how do you mask the grind to feel as though its not a grind. Each game does it in it's own unique way.

This post has been edited by KTcraft: Aug 14, 2012 - 7:32 PM

Posted Image

User is offline   Tashigi 

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted Aug 14, 2012 - 8:44 PM

View PostKTcraft, on Aug 14, 2012 - 7:30 PM, said:

Tashigi... it bothers me... and disappoints me that you would post something so pretentious, and disrespectful-especially in response to an OP who only joined this year, and has a relatively low post count. Maybe you can't see it, but to me it feels like you are talking down on other players as if their experience is insignificant, or negligible, the "MMOG kiddos" comment was wholly unnecessary. As far as the definition of "grindfest"... grindfest is a made up word. It would be arrogance to assume one knows the "true" definition of a street/slang term such as grindfest.
Though it doesn't have a dictionary definition, If I were asked to define it, I'd probably say... -

Sorry if it came off as an attack of sorts, it wasn't meant as such. (More of a jest).

But honestly, of all the MMOG that have come out thus far in the past few years, I feel TERA is easily the least "grindy"; easily.
To be complaining about a game that offers you non-stop quests from Lv 1 to Lv 60 with main missions guiding you all the way through, well... I don't even know what to say.
Maybe grinding (And I mean, literally grinding from Lv 1 to 90+) in RO with not a single quest of any sort and then jumping to other, more linear games like the ones noted, would help understand where I'm coming from.

The definition of grind can have it's multiple meanings now-a-days, but originally, it was raw camping mobs and killing them non-stop for no reason whatsoever until you reached a certain level, then moved to a new camp and repeated the same mindless curve.

Most of the games today come with questing. Some have it better than others. But the majority, offer the same, repetitive questing. Except maybe Guild Wars 2 (Which will also get repetitive once people start to pin point the events).

You know, I could be wrong in the general sense on this.
But I feel grind is more of doing something mindlessly, without reason other than to gain EXP.
This can apply to quests; but at least quests try to mask the grind with reason and objectives.

This post has been edited by 回し蹴り ★: Aug 14, 2012 - 9:02 PM

User is offline   jok312 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip

Posted Aug 14, 2012 - 11:54 PM

compared to lineage 2 the grinding is like child's play, lineage 2 you kill the same mob 1 billion times and maybe you'll get like one level.. i agree with the other guys the grinding is just like WOW and Tera where you kill stuff/gather and turn them in.. can be repetitive but it seems all MMORPGs are like this these days?

Maybe you're looking for a game like Wakfu or Maplestory?

User is offline   PaniC 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guild:Slayers' Tower

Posted Aug 15, 2012 - 12:38 AM

the simple answer is "YES"
Posted Image

User is offline   Brut4 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Character:WishIcouldplayNANao
  • Race:Undecided

Posted Aug 15, 2012 - 3:06 AM

You loggin. Run 3 feet. Push a red button. Log out. Log back in and whalla , full epics,achievements,max level , max Everything.

^^ that game was AWESOME!!

For 30 seconds.....

Seriously. A game is a game is a game is a game is a game is a game is a game is a game which is a game.
IMO the combat style and art alone make this game diferent enough to put it far left of the "oh another clone" statements and honostly if you DO have to spend 4 out of 30 days grinding honostly that's just part of the experience. Will the stimulation of candy dropped from pushing said red button stimulate your mind enough to keep you pushing the red button day after day after day till you reach corpseville irl who knows but a month or ten would be sweet imo.

Tashigi tell em like it is. Don't candy coat everything they'll think the red button is standard and not a cash shop item. /sigh..
Telling the truth may not be politically correct but misleading is the devil advocate for fail games. I spent 4 months grinding my last 3 levels in teh first mmo I played and a total of 4 1/2 years to have One max level and few alts mid level. 2 weeks to get a level ( AWESOME! ). Now a days people want max level in 3days, all gear in 10 days and wonder why they never even seen a sub before heading back to their ps3 and xbox ports to shoot zombies and throw frags. ALOT of games these days don't know how to westernize without going to far as to MAKE their game an insta fail because they americanized to far. My general policy is that if the most extreme hardcore can max in < 1month your game better have a good full year of casual endgame in place. If you want to see at least 3 to 4 subs pass before more content is needed. Here's to hoping they get enough financial security from asian markets to really pump up and refinallize content for the NA/EU release.

User is offline   BloodJoker 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Character:BloodJoker
  • Class:Blade Master
  • Guild:Slayers Tower

Posted Aug 17, 2012 - 12:43 PM

actually I was talking to a korean player ill post link in the end, and he was able to get to max lvl in a week, and suggested that a normal player could get there in 2-3weeks?
Plus he said that the have decreased the amount of exp need to get to lvl 45 so I wouldnt yet say that this game will turn into a grind fest, and you guys havent seen a grind fest unless youve played 9 Dragons... trust me... -.- heres link
http://www.bladeands...540#entry113540
No mercy for the weak, No pity for the dying, No tears for the slain
Posted Image
In the midst of the Empire stand the most powerful symbol of strength known to the entire region, Slayers Tower.
Signature By: Blue Sky 900

User is offline   Hawke 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Character:Undecided
  • Guild:SoloPlayer

Posted Aug 17, 2012 - 9:18 PM

:joss_stick:

Blade and soul though very interesting

Is just another MMORPG.

Don't get me wrong it's very unique in many cases and an amazing game.

But breaking it down I say this

This being my opinion.. An MMO will most always have a grind cause it gives the player motivation.

Now.. A week to hit 45 as posted earlier..

That can be considered a grind..But if you're an old time gamer check out the games Tashigi mentioned.

Well I can also say I don't mind a grind..It always gets repetitive. But a good community can always keep it interesting.

Hence Blade and soul Dojo..

This post has been edited by Phantom: Aug 18, 2012 - 9:51 AM

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted Aug 17, 2012 - 10:13 PM

I have to agree with you. im not really afraid of this game turning into a grind fest... because in the end lets face it.. the friends are what keep you playing the game right? =)
Posted Image
In the midst of the Empire stand the most powerful symbol of strength known to the entire region, Slayers Tower.

User is offline   Naom 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • Location태산북두
  • Character:HimeNaomiah
  • Class:Destroyer
  • Guild:Loli

Posted Dec 24, 2012 - 7:26 PM

i ran just outta regular quests at lv17...
guess it's tiem to grind the hard-ass repeatables to next level...
Aion comes to mind again.

so far i've seen only few funny quests, whit flamethrowers, rifles and flying around.
doesnt look too impressive...dammit.
Posted Image

User is offline   Mizuki 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA

Posted Dec 24, 2012 - 8:03 PM

Quote from the BnS site

Is Blade & Soul going to be a grinding game like some other MMOs?

Executive Producer James Bae said it best: "I assure you, Blade & Soul will never run out of content to keep players engaged in the game. This game will not be a repetitive grindfest."

Posted Image
Lets go Blade and Soul!

User is offline   Zenek 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Dec 24, 2012 - 9:11 PM

Developers of Tera promised the same. If you ask them about RNG in game, they will probably also deny.

Btw. anybody from KR server can say how much RNG base is B&S?

User is offline   JemL 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationMéxico
  • Race:Undecided

Posted Dec 25, 2012 - 12:02 AM

LOL TERA GRINDFEST? when the game itself leads you the whole way to max level like a tutorial like someone said...or in wow where you can sit in stormwind and just use dungeon finder and you will be top level like np, i mean i think C9 or Vindictus are better for that kind of gameplay.

Besides TERA it is a good game at the end, i just dont like some stuff of Enmasse managing the game, those dumb separations of servers...play the game how it is all features thats how it should be.

If you want stuff to be handed out even harder than this new generation of mmorpgs does to you like if its your mom(and i said this because you say TERA is grindfest), better stick to GW2, i will lol if they even change or decrease the XP curve more than NCkorea did already, the game gives you different options to lvl up, and is easy and fast, atleast i felt the pace fast, that isnt grindfest.

Always respect the work from developers and adapt if you want to play, in a game i look for the design and gameplay, features, stuff to hook me up, etc (i could do abig list) thats why ArcheAge is in my wishlist too, if not just walk away like i did in GW2, unlike the kiddos which raged in forums or the fanbois which protect even the clearly problems with a shield and a sword.

And for end, you dont even know whats Grindfest.

User is offline   Chronas 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas
  • Character:Hezrou
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Dec 25, 2012 - 12:29 AM

View Postתומר 智能, on Aug 14, 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

I hated the grindfest in Tera, and how repetitive the quests are. For those that played the game, is it the same?

I searched the forums, but I do apologize if I missed a thread discussing this.

Thanks,
Tomer

If you thought tera was a grindfest, you're clearly not ready for MMOs. I was 60 in a week :/ and 80 in even less the time on Guild Wars 2.

Your version of a grindfest compared to some old school high school mmos I did like Perfect World where it took you a MONTH just to get three levels, again, you're not ready. Tera was nowhere NEAR a grindfest. Shit, Aion nowadays you can cap in 8 days flat.
Posted Image

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted Dec 25, 2012 - 1:00 AM

anyone here ever tried 9 dragons? the game has 240 lvls and after lvl 70ish quests pretty much stop and at lvl 100 you get like 0.04% exp for a kill. now that my friends was a grind fest... i got past 180 3 times (mostly cuz i had no life) anything less demanding than that is nothing like a grind fest if you ask me young lads. *relights my wooden pipe and ponders of the old days...*
Posted Image

User is offline   Kryscent 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Character:Kryscent
  • Guild:Descendants

Posted Dec 25, 2012 - 1:50 AM

Totally not a grindfest based game, you have a lot of plenty other things to do.
Posted Image
Please do PM me or post in my support thread here if you got any kinds of problem about China Blade and Soul / Translation

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users