• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steparu.com reviews 2nd CBT

User is offline   SacredGray 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSomewhere not cold or snowy enough....
  • Character:Sacred
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Blade Master
  • Guild:- L O T U S -

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 12:59 AM

Hopefully this is the correct subforum for this. :joss_stick:

I only found out about Steparu earlier this year when I was following Tera, but it seems it's a fairly noteworthy site when it comes to tracking Korean games in development.

The site just posted its review of CBT2.... and the article is stuffed with fantastic videos (SPOILER ALERT for those of you who don't want to see the cutscenes!).

You can find it here: Steparu's CBT2 review

This post has been edited by SacredGray: Sep 17, 2011 - 1:04 PM

In the first stage, the man and his sword are one. Even a blade of grass can be a deadly weapon.
In the second stage, the sword rests not in the hand, but in the heart. Even without a weapon, such a man can slay his opponent even from a hundred paces.
In the third stage, the sword disappears altogether. The desire to kill has vanished -- only peace remains.enter]

User is offline   SeraphimRei 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Race:Lyn
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 1:34 AM

ehh. .

FM has chi orbs, not sure if it's somewhat different, maybe it regens.

Loading times ?
Aren't the loading times only ~1second? He said he was running it good, yet he said they were a problem >=/
Noise. Noise. Noise.
What's with all this noise?

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 1:45 AM

View PostSeraphimRei, on Sep 17, 2011 - 1:34 AM, said:

ehh. .

Loading times ?
Aren't the loading times only ~1second? He said he was running it good, yet he said they were a problem >=/

I thought most classes had orbs as their gauge now? :confuse:

He did admit he's been spoiled by other action MMO's he's been playing *cough TERA cough* so he's probably comparing everything in B&S to those and making some big deals out of nothings.
In the first stage, the man and his sword are one. Even a blade of grass can be a deadly weapon.
In the second stage, the sword rests not in the hand, but in the heart. Even without a weapon, such a man can slay his opponent even from a hundred paces.
In the third stage, the sword disappears altogether. The desire to kill has vanished -- only peace remains.enter]

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 1:57 AM

View PostSacredGray, on Sep 17, 2011 - 1:45 AM, said:

He did admit he's been spoiled by other action MMO's he's been playing *cough TERA cough* so he's probably comparing everything in B&S to those and making some big deals out of nothings.

mm I meant, he said FM has mana bar (or something) when in fact they do have Chi Orbs now. n' that maybe he was mistaken or that maybe he was trying to say it is somewhat different, like maybe the regen over time.

This post has been edited by SeraphimRei: Sep 17, 2011 - 2:01 AM

Noise. Noise. Noise.

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 2:02 AM

View PostSeraphimRei, on Sep 17, 2011 - 1:57 AM, said:

mm I meant, he said FM has mana bar (or something) when in fact they do have Chi Orbs now. n' that maybe he was mistaken or that maybe he was trying to say it is somewhat different, like maybe the regen over time.

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, perhaps he got something mixed up..

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 2:17 AM

I type very, very bad at times, that wasn't really understandable.

Yeah, I'm guessing he got mixed up with the last beta too.

This post has been edited by SeraphimRei: Sep 17, 2011 - 2:43 AM

Noise. Noise. Noise.

User is offline   Ultima 

• Loli-Crazed Troublemaker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Class:Force Master

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 3:07 AM

I think he's too much of a TERA Fanboy, he claimed the rage bar was copied from TERA, yet the rage bar is WoW's, even earlier MMOs might of had such a rage bar.

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 3:51 AM

View PostUltima, on Sep 17, 2011 - 3:07 AM, said:

I think he's too much of a TERA Fanboy, he claimed the rage bar was copied from TERA, yet the rage bar is WoW's, even earlier MMOs might of had such a rage bar.

I agree -- Tera changed Steparu. I'm glad he / she (I'm not even sure) enjoyed the game that much, but saying other games in the genre are copying it is a big stretch.

User is offline   Erehinater 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationThailand
  • Character:Lucresia
  • Race:Kun
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 9:18 AM

I surprise for someone to pose Steparu's site here.
I sub this channel for almost 2 years now but this is my 1st time read the review.

Steparu did great on the review. You guys may rage about the rage bar that he/her mention that it a clone from Tera. But as for him Tera is what he play and that game also famous and well known. So he/she said that can save the typing time for explain the system.
It was a good point there about channel problem and loading time (Which have been considered in the director interview)

About FM, I'm sure he mix up with CBT 1 due to there were no FM vid in CBT2
He a really hardcore MMORPG so I no wonder about complaining about early game linear and small map. (You have to progress via game story and he/she skill give that a plus in the end)

Leveling!! That a major point to concern IMO. Because I'm not a big fan of requesting. I love to run around and beat everything I want to. So I bad if I just have to questing for fast EXP :(

Most of all, He/She enjoy it a lot even thought he/she freaking addict to Tera right now. BnS still in Beta so there a lot of improvement can be done. (also considered in director interview)
Posted Image

User is offline   Ark 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 10:51 AM

Then the Destroyer class uses a Rage point system, if you have played Tera Online then this is an exact clone on how their Berserkers work.

LOL

It seems TERA has spoiled Steparu, he acts as if TERA was the first mmo to have a rage bar... TERA this TERA that, my god, he's hooked on this thing that it's like another WOW thing going on..

Blade & Souls world wasn't that interesting compared to Tera Online, I was a bit disappointed.

This post has been edited by Ark: Sep 17, 2011 - 11:23 AM

User is offline   Yuan 

• 형이야
  • View gallery
  • Group: Translator
  • Character:Yuan
  • Guild:Slayers' Tower

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 10:54 AM

One game I won't care about review for is Blade & Soul, because I played and know this game is the BEST game ever.
Slayers' Tower currently recruiting!

User is offline   Seraphy 

• Flower in the Mountain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Character:Maiya
  • Race:Gon

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 11:26 AM

View PostSacredGray, on Sep 17, 2011 - 1:45 AM, said:

All except Destroyer have orb gauges now.

As for his review. I agree with him on some points. The first chapter of the story just felt really linear. Granted, a lot of the game felt that way to me, seeing how the game is composed of small maps pieced together rather than an open world. I don't know how TERA's world is, so I can't compare Blade & Soul to it. As a person used to open world maps, it was a tad disappointing. Not a lot of maps get much usage past their initial leveling, and there isn't incentive to go back besides for daily quests. In other MMOs if you wanted to go back for the hell of it, you could just teleport over or use a mount or something. However in Blade & Soul, you gotta shell out however many teleport scrolls x4 silver just to go back. Otherwise you got a hell long of a run, even with Qing Gong.

And I would love to see dynamic weather. All the maps are set in what they are, like other MMOs (though Aion at least had day/night).

About the loading issues... He could be right in that for older rigs, it will take a bit longer. Your internet could be good, but for those with bad rigs, it'll still take awhile to load. Different game, but when I played Dragon Nest with Ryochan, he would take awhile to load. His internet was better than mine, but my computer was better. I can see his point about channels as well. It does throw you into a random channel once you enter a loading area then out. Since parties can exist on different channels, you might not be able to jump to the same one due to server load. I suppose this could just be rectified by adding a lot more channels. But they need to fine tune it to the right amount so that there's enough players on each.

I already agree with his point of instances looking recycled, they're nothing special. However, about his point about monster variation. There's definitely a lot of different monsters and different attack patterns. However, a lot of them have similar patterns, even some bosses share regular mob attack patterns. They do gain slightly more attacks as you level, but it doesn't happen all that often. I would like for them to include the female enemies more often. A lot of the humanoid enemies are all male. Occasionally you see a female depending on where you are, but other than that, they're all guys. Male and female enemies have different attack patterns, so it would at least spice it up a little.

Just more opinions. Take it as whatever you want, haha.

User is offline   Arec 

• 멋대로인
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Character:Arec

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 11:29 AM

View PostSeraphimRei, on Sep 17, 2011 - 1:34 AM, said:

ehh. .

Loading times ?

They regen out of combat, as well as your fire bolt, ice dragon, and life leech can regen them in combat.
Live Streamer at ArecArws LIVE STREAM!
Watch BnS Videos at MYYOUTUBE CHANNEL!

User is offline   Ultima 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 11:30 AM

The only valid points against BnS made were Instancing between houses and zones and then the "channel" system makes it feel like a F2P if it's really that annoying. But then he lost crediblity by having to mention the bland world of TERA which still uses THE TRINITY for party content, with only 5 mans a rather low number for a MMO with the Trinity they'll need to get 10 mans and more if they want people to not blow through that content like a depressed woman goes through cake. It'd be helpful if people actually reviewed the games while being able to take off their rose-tinted goggles when it comes to what game they find perfect.

User is offline   Arec 

• 멋대로인
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 11:33 AM

View PostArk, on Sep 17, 2011 - 10:51 AM, said:

Then the Destroyer class uses a Rage point system, if you have played Tera Online then this is an exact clone on how their Berserkers work.

LOL

It seems TERA has spoiled Steparu, he acts as if TERA was the first mmo to have a rage bar... TERA this TERA that, my god, he's hooked on this thing that it's like another WOW thing going on..

Blade & Souls world wasn't that interesting compared to Tera Online, I was a bit disappointed.

The world isnt so bad, though i kinda agree that teras world seemed so much bigger. When i was playing korean OBT, i had this whole sense of feeling so small.

Though BnS's world isnt bad at all and looks so nice.

View PostUltima, on Sep 17, 2011 - 11:30 AM, said:

The only valid points against BnS made were Instancing between houses and zones and then the "channel" system makes it feel like a F2P if it's really that annoying. But then he lost crediblity by having to mention the bland world of TERA which still uses THE TRINITY for party content, with only 5 mans a rather low number for a MMO with the Trinity they'll need to get 10 mans and more if they want people to not blow through that content like a depressed woman goes through cake. It'd be helpful if people actually reviewed the games while being able to take off their rose-tinted goggles when it comes to what game they find perfect.

lol, it doesnt feel like a free to play at all. And it isnt very instance. Its to avoid lag and population lag. Plus. If they didnt put that thing between them. They couldnt add the epic ambiance in the houses. Like if its raining, you can hear the rain hitting on the roof. BnS is so not like a F2P at all.

User is offline   Ultima 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 11:36 AM

View PostArec, on Sep 17, 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

The world isnt so bad, though i kinda agree that teras world seemed so much bigger. When i was playing korean OBT, i had this whole sense of feeling so small.

Though BnS's world isnt bad at all and looks so nice.

lol, it doesnt feel like a free to play at all. And it isnt very instance. Its to avoid lag and population lag. Plus. If they didnt put that thing between them. They couldnt add the epic ambiance in the houses. Like if its raining, you can hear the rain hitting on the roof. BnS is so not like a F2P at all.

Really? Good, but I still hate instancing, maybe they will give us player housing.. pah.. fat chance though but you will notice Arec, anyone reading Steparu's review would just get his TERA-is-DA-BEST-EVERYTHING-ELSE-SUCKS mentality on the matter, He even went out of the way to say the bosses were easier, despite the fact TERA's bosses look like push overs and aleast BnS's bosses can HIT people, not just swing blindly like a demon from Demon's Souls.

User is offline   Arec 

• 멋대로인
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 11:43 AM

View PostUltima, on Sep 17, 2011 - 11:36 AM, said:

Really? Good, but I still hate instancing, maybe they will give us player housing.. pah.. fat chance though but you will notice Arec, anyone reading Steparu's review would just get his TERA-is-DA-BEST-EVERYTHING-ELSE-SUCKS mentality on the matter, He even went out of the way to say the bosses were easier, despite the fact TERA's bosses look like push overs and aleast BnS's bosses can HIT people, not just swing blindly like a demon from Demon's Souls.

LOL, BnS bosses are NOT easier. And its not really instance based because there are hardly any loading screens. Just between major zones.

The 4 man raid bosses though, are pritty hard. And past lv20-25 you need a party to do alot of the bosses. But yea... they are not easier at all.

User is offline   Seraphy 

• Flower in the Mountain
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Character:Maiya
  • Race:Gon

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 11:43 AM

To all the negative response in the thread. Remember that Blade & Soul is a game in the end. It will have flaws and issues. Be careful not to ignore them simply due to hype and blindness.

And as for the bosses. If you really wanted, you could avoid all the hits in Blade & Soul (well except General Guh's life leech and some other minor ones). Keep in mind that TERA is an action MMO, you're supposed to be able to dodge hits. If you're getting hit all the time, then you're not doing it right. My first time fighting a mini-boss in an instance, I didn't get hit much at all. I just circled around it, hitting it with my basic attack and instant skills. I almost did this to a lot of other bosses later on, but I got tired of how long it took.

This post has been edited by Seraphy: Sep 17, 2011 - 11:44 AM

User is offline   BLöDSKääL 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Character:BLoDSKaaL
  • Guild:Slayers' Tower

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 11:48 AM

... Neither bosses Swing blindly... Ive played Both games, while i played BNS on rather limited activety.. Tera's Bosses Hit you if u dont dodge on time. sometimes u cant dodge it because you over extended.. They have similar gameplay, except BNS is way more refined and feels more cinematic and as if your more involved in the fight, compared to Tera, where you have less animation to the skill, and wee bit more repetitive auto atking. I think of BNS as Streetfighter, except MMo lol, because u can still auto atk if u want, but usage of skills in the right place at the right time makes for an awesome fight. AND YES I WOULD LOVE TO GRIND IN BNS LOL

This post has been edited by blodskaal: Sep 17, 2011 - 11:48 AM

Posted Image
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no law and order,
never is there equality to be found,
for love, we kill,
for murder, we die,
for death, we moan,
so why for sorrow, we love?

User is offline   Arec 

• 멋대로인
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted Sep 17, 2011 - 11:48 AM

View PostSeraphy, on Sep 17, 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

To all the negative response in the thread. Remember that Blade & Soul is a game in the end. It will have flaws and issues. Be careful not to ignore them simply due to hype and blindness.

And as for the bosses. If you really wanted, you could avoid all the hits in Blade & Soul (well except General Guh's life leech and some other minor ones). Keep in mind that TERA is an action MMO, you're supposed to be able to dodge hits. If you're getting hit all the time, then you're not doing it right. My first time fighting a mini-boss in an instance, I didn't get hit much at all. I just circled around it, hitting it with my basic attack and instant skills. I almost did this to a lot of other bosses later on, but I got tired of how long it took.

Are you talking about that poison mushroom boss thing? i dunno, i kinda feel like that boss isnt the best example of a boss.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users