User is offline   Razerer 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Character:Razerer
  • Class:Blade Master

Posted Feb 24, 2013 - 3:09 PM

Hi :joss_stick:

I was not quite sure wheather or not i should have putted this topic in the tech talk, tho since this isnt any kind of hardware talk, i decided to post it here.

This is primarely to the people who has/is playing the K-version on the game.

How well is the game running? i am currently playing tera, and even tho people are talking nonsense about these games being very cpu depending, my cpu only runs at 20-40%, when all settings are set at highest. even with a good computer, the past games from korea seems to be very poorly optimized, and therefor gives the players a lack in fps, despite us haveing superior hardware

so, is the game well coded? or do i need to sell my house to affort a quad sli gtx 690 to maintain high fps :adore:

-razerer

This post has been edited by Razerer: Feb 24, 2013 - 3:10 PM

User is offline   Aari 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Character:Aari
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Feb 24, 2013 - 3:31 PM

The games are CPU dependend but don't use the CPU properly because of, as you mentioned, poor coding.

BnS's coding is decent, not that great either but for me the FPS are a lot better then Teras. Not these random low FPS drops in 5man dungeons like tera has.
In the the open raid dungeon (24+ people) your FPS drops quite low and I think it could definitly be optimized better there, but it never drops into a unplayable state like tera does. I usually stay 15+ FPS i think, never actually checked my FPS since it was still fine to play, I'll check tomorrow.
Posted Image
Click the Picute for a Livestream with B&S and Tera in 1080p
Youtube Channel with BnS Gameplay & Guides

User is offline   Tashigi 

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Feb 24, 2013 - 9:31 PM

TERA is the worst possible example you can add as a performance/optimization comparison to any MMO, including B&S.
To put it bluntly, unless your system 100% fully clicks with TERA, the game will perform absolutely terrible.
TERA is simply put, optimized to run on all systems but it will do so on subpar levels.

My system in specific runs B&S at a constant 45+ FPS (Average) with the highest being 90+ FPS and lowest 35+ FPS.
The same system runs TERA at random FPS depending on location, whether my UI is open or not, among some other things. For instance, in the open world, I get 40 FPS with UI on. If I turn the UI off, my FPS shoots up to 70+ FPS.
In crowded areas I get 30+ FPS with UI on. UI off and it shoots to 50+ FPS. (Lets not talk about Nexus; but to give you an idea: 15 FPS or less).

There are many, many factors and I could go into the details.
But the main issue is that Unreal Engine 3 is not intended to be used for MMO and yet, both B&S and TERA use the same engine. Fortunately, B&S has harnessed and optimized the engine better.
Don't think of me as bashing TERA for the sake of bashing it. I love a lot of aspects about the game and play it every now and then; this is just not one of them.

TL;DR: Yes, B&S is well optimized but it still requires a decent CPU and GPU if you wish to experience the best the game has to offer, graphically and performance wise.
As Aari mentioned above, it's not perfect, but it's well above decent/good.

This post has been edited by Tashigi: Feb 24, 2013 - 9:37 PM

User is offline   Aari 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted Feb 25, 2013 - 2:22 AM

View PostTashigi, on Feb 24, 2013 - 9:31 PM, said:

TERA is the worst possible example you can add as a performance/optimization comparison to any MMO, including B&S.
To put it bluntly, unless your system 100% fully clicks with TERA, the game will perform absolutely terrible.
TERA is simply put, optimized to run on all systems but it will do so on subpar levels.

My system in specific runs B&S at a constant 45+ FPS (Average) with the highest being 90+ FPS and lowest 35+ FPS.
The same system runs TERA at random FPS depending on location, whether my UI is open or not, among some other things. For instance, in the open world, I get 40 FPS with UI on. If I turn the UI off, my FPS shoots up to 70+ FPS.
In crowded areas I get 30+ FPS with UI on. UI off and it shoots to 50+ FPS. (Lets not talk about Nexus; but to give you an idea: 15 FPS or less).

The thing with the way higher FPS when UI off in Tera is actually not because of UE but because they used something like a Flash Scaling for the UI wich is, simply put, terrible. The issue was adressed countless times (at least in EU) with letters to Gameforge and BHS but was completly ignored. Even tho, as far as I know, someone even offered a fix for that issue.

You said 35+ FPS lowest, even in Raiddungeons, for example when Haemujin (Last boss DBSH) or Pohwaran (Last boss in Stormy Pohwaran) spawn and around 24+ people show up? Because I don't think I can achieve that high of an FPS there, even tho I have a I7-3970X, but I think my PC is poorly setup... I need someone to optimize my PC for me but I don't have anyone with great knowledge about stuff like that xD

Edit: About the grafic card, a 690 would probably even give you worse a maybe at best slightly better results then a 680. A 690 is simply 2x 670 in SLI wich isn't all that great, imo.

This post has been edited by Aari: Feb 25, 2013 - 2:24 AM

Posted Image

User is offline   Tashigi 

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Feb 25, 2013 - 2:40 AM

For TERA, it's a combination of many, many issues.
When you said Flash, it's actually a UI module called Scaleform (Which uses a form of Adobe Flash) that's very limited as far as object calculations goes. For instance, the more players you have in a raid, the more buffs you have going off and the more debuffs you have appearing and the more numbers you have building up in the combat log. All of this is sent to the Scaleform module, which normally, it's intended for stuff like First Person Shooters and Third Person Shooters that are limited to just the usual 2-4 online multiplayer.
But in an MMO scenario, we're talking 10-100+ players on the screen, with several other dozen things going on, such as mobs, particles, objects being activated left and right, etc.
All of this totally overloads the Scaleform module very quickly.
It doesn't stop there. There is more issues with TERA and it applies to B&S as well as I'll note below while answering your other question.

I played B&S on an overclocked system but it's still only a Phenom II 4x core 3.8 GHZ CPU and a single GTX 460 1 GB.
So nothing even remotely close to magical.
Thing is, I didn't play in raids. Only outdoors and a couple of dungeons. So I can't speak for the 24M raids in the game. But I can tell you that the problem you're facing, FPS wise, is the same that TERA faces in the Nexus raid instance (Not the outdoor one, that's another story).

That being, a limitation in the UE3.
When too much is happening at once, too many textures being loaded constantly back and forth and too many spells/effects being cast, just like Scaleform, it overloads just the same and I don't think a massively powerful multicore processor will help much, as I do not believe B&S nor TERA utilize multiple cores properly. (Not right now at least).
So the easiest way to counter this issue, is by overclocking the CPU core clock so it can overpower the overload to an extend. It's not ideal and I hope B&S starts utilizing multiple cores better, but I know it works, at least, right now.

User is offline   Aari 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted Feb 25, 2013 - 2:55 AM

Ah yea, Scale Form thats what I meant, just didnt remember the name, just remembered it was something with Flash :P

Yea its true that multiple cores are not used properly, maybe I should try to OC the main cores and lower some other (I know that that was possible somehow, I think at least). Well, as long as I can play fine even in the raid dungeons I don't really mind. Everything around 15 FPS is still playable for me and I don't mind as long as it doesnt go to something around 5 like Tera neuxs xD I don't need my 100 FPS all the time
Posted Image

User is offline   Zenek 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master

Posted Feb 25, 2013 - 6:33 AM

View PostTashigi, on Feb 24, 2013 - 9:31 PM, said:

TERA is the worst possible example you can add as a performance/optimization comparison to any MMO,

Tera is best example what happening with game if old developers team leaving company and new ones starting mess in game code. Tera during FGT, closed betas in KR and even after KR release did not had any FPS issues. Issues happened mainly with version what west got. Before it Tera had almost excellent optimisation.

User is offline   Aari 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted Feb 25, 2013 - 6:45 AM

View PostZenek, on Feb 25, 2013 - 6:33 AM, said:

Tera is best example what happening with game if old developers team leaving company and new ones starting mess in game code. Tera during FGT, closed betas in KR and even after KR release did not had any FPS issues. Issues happened mainly with version what west got. Before it Tera had almost excellent optimisation.

Now that you mentioned it, I remembered that I had a video of my first Nexus in Korea:

As you can maybe see, the FPS are fairly stable, delay is big but thats not the main point here. Everything is on max and I can't remember ever having such "decent" FPS in a EU Nexus, especially not when frapsing. And everything is on max there...

This post has been edited by Aari: Feb 25, 2013 - 6:46 AM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users