Blade and Soul and CPU usage

User is offline   Zahad 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Blade Master

Posted Feb 03, 2013 - 1:03 PM

Hey guys, I was browsing through the Korean blade and soul forums and found this interesting benchmark, so I thought I'd translate it and post it in here.
(Original link: http://gigglehd.com/zbxe/8021713 )

Spec
CPU : [email protected]
8GB DDR3
GTX 480@900MHz
2560x1600

Posted Image

This is CPU speculation when:
-There are about 25 to 30 players in the same boss room
-Graphic option is set to lowest
-Idle fps is 20, and when battle starts, it drops to 8 to 10 fps
-GPU usage percentage is 30%
-When graphic option is set to highest, the fps gets to 10 to 15 frame when idle, 5 fps when in battle

Posted Image

-There are at most 3 players in the same boss map.
-Graphic option is set to highest
-Idle fps is 50 to 60, fps during battle is 45 to 55
-GPU usage is 85 to 100%

The second picture is rather considered as more understandable benchmark outcome, though CPU usage is very high.
It was difficult to determine how we got the benchmark outcome based on the first picture.

-Our theory is that the physx effect from the character's equips (dobok and weapon) and various movements made by characters are mainly processed in CPU, not GPU
We tried to find out what was causing the intense frame drop rate by speculating other parts as well.

-Ram usage: 3 to 4gb usage out of 8gb

-When game frame is 50 to 60fps, the GPU usage is 90 to 100%

-When there are numbers of other players in the same map hunting boss, the GPU usage dropped to 30% (possibly there is bottleneck effect on GPU)

-Graphic memory usage is 700 to 800mb out of 1.5gb

-Not alot of changes in hard disk usage (Doesn't really affect the game, other than when you move from dungeon to field and vise versa)

-CPU usage: Like the screenshot above, the average usage is over 75% in any graphic level.

It seems like there isn't any problem with any other parts, other than the CPU.
There seems like there are alot more things going in CPU, and like I've mentioned above, the physx effect is processed in CPU. (Regardless of which GPU product you use (Nvidia/AMD))
So I think that when there are numbers of other characters in your pov, the CPU becomes too busy processing the physx effect caused by all the characters, causing the CPU to have less and less power to process the GPU, therefore resulting in frame drop.

The conclusion is that the average GPU really won't cause any trouble, but it's the CPU that's more important. (Overclock them) <-- lol, (I'm guessing that average is gtx 480..?-_-)
Other than that, there have been issues when players move from dungeons to field and vice versa, where the "Data explosion" happens, and kicks the player out of the game. (Especially when there are many players around your pov)

That's basically it. Any opinion?

This post has been edited by Zahad: Feb 03, 2013 - 9:41 PM

데헷데헷

User is offline   Yoshiro Numata 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Feb 03, 2013 - 2:13 PM

View PostZahad, on Feb 03, 2013 - 1:03 PM, said:

Hey guys, I was browsing through the Korean blade and soul forums and found this interesting benchmark, so I thought I'd translate it and post it in this website :3
(Original link: http://gigglehd.com/zbxe/8021713 )

Spec
CPU : [email protected]
8GB DDR3
GTX 480@900MHz
2560x1600

Posted Image

This CPU speculation when:
-There are about 25 to 30 players in the same boss room
-Graphic option is set to lowest
-Normal fps is 20, and when battle starts, it drops to 8 to 10 fps
-GPU usage percentage is 30%
-When graphic option is set to highest, the fps gets to 10 to 15 frame when idle, 5 fps when in battle

Posted Image

-There are at most 3 players in the same boss map.
-Graphic option is set to highest
-Idle fps is 50 to 60, fps during battle is 45 to 55
-GPU usage is 85 to 100%

The second picture is rather considered as more understandable benchmark outcome, though CPU usage is very high.
It was difficult to determine how we got the benchmark outcome based on the first picture.

-Our theory is that the physx effect from the character's equips (dobok and weapon) and various movements made by characters are mainly processed in CPU, not GPU
We tried to find out what was causing the intense frame drop rate by speculating other parts as well.

-Ram usage: 3 to 4gb usage out of 8gb

-When game frame is 50 to 60fps, the GPU usage is 90 to 100%

-When there are numbers of other players in the same map hunting boss, the GPU usage dropped to 30% (possibly there is bottleneck effect on GPU)

-Graphic memory usage is 700 to 800mb out of 1.5gb

-Not alot of changes in hard disk usage (Doesn't really affect the game, other than when you move from dungeon to field and vise versa)

-CPU usage: Like the screenshot above, the average usage is over 75% in any graphic level.

It seems like there isn't any problem with any other parts, other than the CPU.
There seems like there are alot more things going in CPU, and like I've mentioned above, the physx effect is processed in CPU. (Regardless of who the GPU manufacturer is)
So I think that when there are numbers of other characters in your fov, the CPU is too busy processing the physx effect caused by character, therefore causing the CPU to have less and less power to process the GPU, resulting in frame drop.

The conclusion is that average GPU really won't cause any trouble, but it's the CPU that's more important. (Overclock them) <-- lol, (I'm guessing that average is gtx 480..?-_-)
Other than that, there have been issues when players move from dungeons to field and vice versa, where the "Data explosion" happens, and kicks the player out of the game. (Especially when there are many players around your fov)

That's basically it. Any opinion?

mmm i think u need to cverclock ur cpu

User is offline   Aari 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Character:Aari
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Feb 03, 2013 - 3:25 PM

View PostYoshiro Numata, on Feb 03, 2013 - 2:13 PM, said:

mmm i think u need to cverclock ur cpu

Yea, I think that would help with your low FPS
Posted Image
Click the Picute for a Livestream with B&S and Tera in 1080p
Youtube Channel with BnS Gameplay & Guides

User is offline   Zahad 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted Feb 03, 2013 - 3:40 PM

I didn't do the benchmarking o_o All I did was translating.
I don't think I need to overclock my 3770k :P At least I hope not.
데헷데헷

User is offline   Ying 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Race:Undecided

Posted Feb 03, 2013 - 8:45 PM

so is a i3-3220 enough?

User is offline   Revast 

• Greetings!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Character:Revast
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Feb 03, 2013 - 9:21 PM

View PostZahad, on Feb 03, 2013 - 3:40 PM, said:

I didn't do the benchmarking o_o All I did was translating.
I don't think I need to overclock my 3770k :P At least I hope not.

You wont need to overclock your 3770k, not at all. I played with an FX-8150 stock at max settings while streaming and only used about 70% of my CPU on average.

I've been thinking about grabbing a 3770k myself to enhance stream quality. Or perhaps $500 will fall from the sky so I could snag a 3930k!
Posted Image
Twitch - Twitter

Remember to read our Forum Rules before posting!
Have a Blade & Soul related question? Check our FAQ before creating a topic/post.
Found a topic/post that violates our Forum Rules? Use the Report button and we'll deal with it!

User is offline   Zahad 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted Feb 03, 2013 - 10:02 PM

View PostRevast, on Feb 03, 2013 - 9:21 PM, said:

You wont need to overclock your 3770k, not at all. I played with an FX-8150 stock at max settings while streaming and only used about 70% of my CPU on average.

I've been thinking about grabbing a 3770k myself to enhance stream quality. Or perhaps $500 will fall from the sky so I could snag a 3930k!

Yea, I was thinking of getting 3550, but I realized that I was holding on a 3770k and gtx670 in my room when I came back to my sense lol. It's an overkill considering that my pc is built just for BnS :P
3930k is just... too expensive lol :"D
데헷데헷

User is offline   Xoru 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Character:Xorium

Posted Feb 11, 2013 - 2:00 PM

I7 950 @4.5ghz here.
Never seen CPU usage go beyond 26%

User is offline   Ice_Tea 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Feb 25, 2013 - 8:12 PM

View PostRevast, on Feb 03, 2013 - 9:21 PM, said:

Do get the 3930k. It'll be fun! LOL. That's gonna be overkill. Concerning the original post, the CPU was not really stated, only the clock speed was stated. That doesn't help at all as it could be a dual core CPU. BnS makes use of 4 cores if they are present. 5.17GHz is just insane. 3930k CPUs dont even overclock to those speeds with air cooling. Makes no sence to have a CPU overclocked to such a high frequency and using just a mediocre GPU.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users