• You cannot reply to this topic

Is blade and soul true action combat? Rate Topic: -----

User is offline   The hipster Espada 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 12:35 AM

I don't wanna know which game is better. Just comparing the combat systems. Which is better tera's combat system or Blade and Soul's. And is it true action combat or a point and click or turn based game? I am new to this forum btw xD

User is offline   Vile Samael 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Character:Ryang Huan-Yong
  • Race:Lyn
  • Class:Summoner

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 1:19 AM

It's semi-targeted true action kind of. It's really weird, like some things you can't use if you're not moused over a monster and some you can? But it's not click-and-wait or turn-based and I think it's much better than TERA's.

Also it's first-person-based movement/combat and not third-person, so you have a crosshair instead of clicking things. It's pretty much TERA in that sense, as well as the zoom where it's off to the side kind of then it centers at a certain zoom on your character.

This post has been edited by Vile Samael: Jan 26, 2013 - 1:20 AM

Posted Image

User is offline   Yuri. 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Race:Undecided

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 3:37 AM

is more like the 3rd person PS3/Xbox games where there is no need for a target in the middle of screen to target and attack an enemy in front of you. Need only centralize your vision into it and attack.

An example:

Sorry for my bad english!

User is offline   KTcraft 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUS

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 4:46 PM

It's like a 3d Fighting game, if you think about it, technically all 3d fighters have a lock on system already, as the game auto orients the players towards each other. Blade and Soul's combat system is much more similar to a fighting game in the way combos function, and the lock on system it has makes it work properly. Its a lot less like an action game such as God of War or Dynasty Warriors-Tera felt more like a hack n slash action style,
Posted Image

User is offline   Lady Estellise 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Character:Lady Estellise

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 5:00 PM

Blade and Soul has lock on mechanics but it has a lot of free form have to aim stuff that Tera has.

I played Tera and I wasn't really a big fan of a combat system, but then again I only played a Mage, so. >.>

Holy power that defies my enemies; Resist!

Posted Image
~Signature by Aery~

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 5:04 PM

View PostLady Estellise, on Jan 26, 2013 - 5:00 PM, said:

Blade and Soul has lock on mechanics but it has a lot of free form have to aim stuff that Tera has.

I played Tera and I wasn't really a big fan of a combat system, but then again I only played a Mage, so. >.>

Yeah the Sorcerer is really boring and I ended up liking Berserker and Lancer the best? Iunno, overall it's pretty boring. BnS's FM is a lot more fun.
Posted Image

User is offline   Famfrit 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationLimsa at night <3
  • Character:Eifa Carey
  • Race:Kun
  • Class:Force Master

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 5:19 PM

View PostVile Samael, on Jan 26, 2013 - 5:04 PM, said:

Yeah the Sorcerer is really boring and I ended up liking Berserker and Lancer the best? Iunno, overall it's pretty boring. BnS's FM is a lot more fun.

Hang on a second. The sorcerer is awesome! throwing magma bombs and glacial back stepping and poisoning your enemies! Then again I haven't played any other class in Tera so I don't have anything to compare it to XD.
Posted Image

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 5:27 PM

View PostFamfrit, on Jan 26, 2013 - 5:19 PM, said:

Hang on a second. The sorcerer is awesome! throwing magma bombs and glacial back stepping and poisoning your enemies! Then again I haven't played any other class in Tera so I don't have anything to compare it to XD.

Iunno. I tried it and it didn't work out very well for me, and I usually like the squishy mage classes. I like Mystic and Priest a lot more, though, just not as much as Berserker or Lancer I guess.
Posted Image

User is offline   ღKurori~Iaara-Haanღ 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 6:00 PM

View PostThe hipster Espada, on Jan 26, 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

I don't wanna know which game is better. Just comparing the combat systems. Which is better tera's combat system or Blade and Soul's. And is it true action combat or a point and click or turn based game? I am new to this forum btw xD

Eh, I'd say from my experience playing both games, I felt BnS was a bit more free in a sense, don't know if that makes sense ^^;
But Tera pops up like 'oh do space to flow into this and this and this' if you get what I"m saying
Whereas BnS kinda lets you figure out what flows into what, or you'll NOTICE your own flow of things~

So I guess it's kinda true~

User is offline   Holley 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Class:Blade Master

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 6:23 PM

that you focus single enemies with the crosshair makes it much more realistic than non-targeting systems. Just like in real-life, you have to focus on your target in order to execute certain skills. Thanks to this kind of targeting there are actually much more possibilities compared to targeting-free combat systems.

User is offline   Ryochan 

• |~Yorai Dragon~|
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationNJ
  • Character:Ryochan
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 7:07 PM

The game doesn't play like a hack and slash game if that's what you were asking. It is a hybrid of a traditional mmorpg and an action mmorpg. There are mechanics like % chance to parry attack, and % chance to "perfect dodge" (ragnarok term) an attack. (These are like the traditional mmorpg mechanics). The action part, is where you are giving abilities to evade or counter your opponents attacks manually. To make things easier, about 20% of the moves in the game are homing. Those are mostly for long range attacks (but can be countered manually or "mechanically evade and parried"). The targeting is cool, which is like you pressing the lock on button in an action game like Devil May Cry 1-4 (the new one doesn't have lock on). However there are no buttons to press that will automatically make you target something. As shown in the video above, whatever is infront of you is what you target. That doesn't mean that it would be the only thing you hit, cause there are a lot of moves that hit multiple targets, depending on the range of the attack.

Only issue I've had is trying to target a specific mob, when they are both in my face, and very close together.

http://www.youtube.com/yoraidragon
Rick James: "Cocain Tree Of Savor is a hell of a drug." *giggles*
Posted Image

User is offline   Zenek 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 7:38 PM

Tera and B&S have almost identical combat system. Difference is in proportions - B&S have alot more auto aim + more RNG in fight. At this point I prefer Tera. But for me perfection is Tera FGT version - 100% manual targeting. I simply do not like idea of auto aim because it create homing missiles during combat.

User is offline   Radii 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationAsian Super Market
  • Character:Radii, Sugu

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 7:45 PM

I don't think we'll see another mmo for a few years that has a PERFECT combat system like Tera's. And I mean perfect.

User is offline   Aari 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Character:Aari
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 8:09 PM

View PostRadii, on Jan 26, 2013 - 7:45 PM, said:

I don't think we'll see another mmo for a few years that has a PERFECT combat system like Tera's. And I mean perfect.

Im sorry but I nearly died from laughing too hard. Teras combat system is nowhere near perfect. Its an increadibly slow combat with animation locks, position laggs, retarded lock-on-skills, hitbox failures/range fails.
Dont get me wrong Teras combat was great and fun but its combat gets extremly dull after playing it for a bit (I played Tera for years in KR followed by EU).

BnS's combat is a lot more fast paced and timing based then Teras (Wich also makes it more action combat like then Tera is). Sadly, it doesnt have the free targeting, thats something that would be great but wouldnt work in this kind of combat. I wouldnt call it true action combat but its definitly something different from GW2 and the rest.
Posted Image
Click the Picute for a Livestream with B&S and Tera in 1080p
Youtube Channel with BnS Gameplay & Guides

User is offline   Tashigi 

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 9:29 PM

View PostAari, on Jan 26, 2013 - 8:09 PM, said:

Im sorry but I nearly died from laughing too hard. Teras combat system is nowhere near perfect. Its an increadibly slow combat with animation locks, position laggs, retarded lock-on-skills, hitbox failures/range fails.
Dont get me wrong Teras combat was great and fun but its combat gets extremly dull after playing it for a bit (I played Tera for years in KR followed by EU).

BnS's combat is a lot more fast paced and timing based then Teras (Wich also makes it more action combat like then Tera is). Sadly, it doesnt have the free targeting, thats something that would be great but wouldnt work in this kind of combat. I wouldnt call it true action combat but its definitly something different from GW2 and the rest.

There is a lot wrong with your statements here.
For instance, the way you described Tera's combat system, is exactly the way B&S combat system is; except it's decently paced (A little faster).
As for the lock-on-skills, every skill in B&S is lock-on. Your attacks snap/connect the same way most homming skills do in Tera.
As for the hit-boxes, Tera's hitboxes are actually more accurate than B&S (And by a long shot). Connecting skills is easy and precise. Where in B&S, as Ryo mentioned, the "lock-on" system that exists in B&S, makes it difficult to switch targets.
Lastly, the lag that you described is actually the only thing I have to agree fully with. Tera has a very strange rubber-band feel for specific skills. For example, the Berserker's speed buff.

Finally, GW2 combat system is actually almost identical to B&S.
The two exceptions being, B&S hitboxes are IMO better than GW2 and the pace of combat is often faster in B&S.
But other than that, they two are nearly identical.

While Tera's combat system shines in many areas, it suffers from one and only one main issue: The skills have little to no synergy with one another. So you can often find yourself using the same combo over and over again (Again, in example, the Berserker's Cyclone and Thunder Strike. You literally spam these two abilities, always.)
While B&S's combat system does also shine in some areas, it suffers from poor hit-boxes and snappy animations on mobs, that make it very difficult to dodge out of their attacks (Often, due to the poor hitboxes, attacks will connect even if you're out of melee range; making it feel very inorganic).

This post has been edited by Tashigi: Jan 26, 2013 - 9:30 PM

User is offline   Radii 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationAsian Super Market
  • Character:Radii, Sugu

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 9:29 PM

Well to me Tera's combat is perfect. I couldn't pick up another mmo after playing Tera, the combat left me in awe.

User is offline   StevenIsBallin 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • Character:Rimiku
  • Class:Blade Master
  • Guild:Loli

Posted Jan 26, 2013 - 9:35 PM

Ive played both tera and blade and soul and I much prefer blade and souls combat. Teras comat is fun if you're a warrior or slayer but everything else is pretty boring.

User is offline   KTcraft 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUS

Posted Jan 27, 2013 - 4:55 PM

View PostTashigi, on Jan 26, 2013 - 9:29 PM, said:

The two exceptions being, B&S hitboxes are IMO better than GW2 and the pace of combat is often faster in B&S.

Not sure what you mean by identical.... i mean sure they both "lock on" and you have to press buttons to use skills...
Posted Image

User is offline   Mythicalbrit 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master

Posted Jan 27, 2013 - 5:01 PM

View PostTashigi, on Jan 26, 2013 - 9:29 PM, said:

GW2 combat systems is FAR more dependent on player cooperation for combos and yes players can use their own skills for combos, but the system is designed for party coordination. B&S is the exact opposite where the single player is given a palette of skills that can combo and open different branches on possible combo branches and trees, the difference between there systems is B&S is made to make the individual feel awesome and GW2 is designed to make the group feel awesome.

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted Jan 27, 2013 - 5:05 PM

View PostMythicalbrit, on Jan 27, 2013 - 5:01 PM, said:

GW2 combat systems is FAR more dependent on player cooperation for combos and yes players can use their own skills for combos, but the system is designed for party coordination. B&S is the exact opposite where the single player is given a palette of skills that can combo and open different branches on possible combo branches and trees, the difference between there systems is B&S is made to make the individual feel awesome and GW2 is designed to make the group feel awesome.

That's very true. Other than that, though, BnS and GW2 have very similar combat systems. Not the same, no, but very similar.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users