Blade & Soul Dojo: Obama Calls for Government Funded Research Into Violent Video Games - Blade & Soul Dojo

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Obama Calls for Government Funded Research Into Violent Video Games Rate Topic: -----

User is offline   Fishcake 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Blade Master

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 2:11 PM

What a waste of money. Im facepalming hard :I

There's just too many unstable people here in the US, and its just too easy for those people among others to obtain some really heavy & unnecessary artillery.
Games have nothing to do with it..
Posted Image

User is offline   Mickey 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Character:Mickey
  • Race:Lyn
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 2:41 PM

View PostGhastly, on Jan 17, 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

If they're talking about COD they're hypocrites since war related games are good propaganda for the military. I'd like to see them be specific :yes:
That's always the problem with accusations and arguments, if you can't be specific then why bother? :laugh:

The real problem is the guns, that's what kills people, not the games. Japan and the UK are doing great without guns. The US likes its borders wide open though so banning guns entirely doesn't work until they use that money to guard their entire border. If China can guard their borders, why can't the US? :laugh:

Actually I read a CNN article according to them UK recently had a mass shooting few years back so did Australia ,norway,etc.
More kids have been bring guns to school BTW like 7 year olds there have been a lot llately.

This post has been edited by FireHead: Jan 17, 2013 - 3:08 PM

Posted Image
E-Vel Mickey<-- I'M SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE

User is offline   Alice 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas
  • Character:Undecided
  • Class:Summoner
  • Guild:Don't have one yet.

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 4:25 PM

I agree with Fishcake. If you're going to change gun laws, make the background checks more extensive or something. Make it harder for mentally unstable and/or dangerous people to get their hands on guns instead of taking away a law-abiding citizen's way of defending themselves from said dangerous people.
There was a hole here... it's gone now.

User is offline   Aari 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Character:Aari
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 4:42 PM

I kinda hope that Obama will ban the automatic guns and stuff. I wanna see if 'MERICA rly goes on a civil war then.
Posted Image
Click the Picute for a Livestream with B&S and Tera in 1080p
Youtube Channel with BnS Gameplay & Guides

User is offline   Ivalix 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 5:19 PM

It seems to be a trend lately to point fingers at violent video games rather than what we already have seen in television and movie theaters. Violence has been around a long time in every form of media, after all. They just need a scapegoat for something recent.

There are inherent problems with both groups of people arguing over gun ownership, supportive and against. Switzerland boasts a higher rate of gun ownership than the US, but it has an almost non-existent rate of crime in relation to guns. States in the US that allow gun ownership actually have less of a crime rate than ones that don't. The numbers here are telling us that gun control may correlate with MORE crime.

On the other hand, guns make it too easy to kill people because of their long range and destructive power. A similar incident to the Connecticut shooting occurred in China on the same day, although with the usage of a knife instead of a gun. 22 children were stabbed in this incident, but none of them died. If the guy had a gun, what do you think the outcome would've been? Which side would you take?

Because this debate never gets anywhere, people want to put the blame on the underlying causes of violence, and thus they target violent video games just because they happen to see that the murderers have played them. Well guess what, we've all played them, and have seen plenty of it as we've grown up. Perhaps certain people are more inclined toward such behavior after exposure to violence, but that's another problem altogether.

User is offline   Equεs 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationConfucianism
  • Character:Eques
  • Guild:Nocturne [Viscaria]

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 5:50 PM

Well first thing this research is gonna discover is that in most violent games, the bad guys are U.S.'s geopolitical and/or ideological enemies.
"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer." - If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him - François-Marie Arouet de Voltaire

"The defense of individual rights has reached such extremes as to make society as a whole defenseless against certain individuals. It is time,... to defend not so much human rights as human obligations." - Solzhenitsyn, Harvard University speech.

Posted Image
"The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it." - Tohsaka Rin.

User is offline   Quietus 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 6:01 PM

I think this and similar videos - or articles for that matter - need to be seen by more people.

"Well ladies and gentlemen, I don't think any of our contestants this evening have succeeded in encapsulating the intricacies of Proust's masterwork, so I'm going to award the first prize this evening to the girl with the biggest tits."

User is offline   Lady Estellise 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Character:Lady Estellise

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 6:03 PM

I actually saw this some days ago, IGN sent me an newsletter as this as the subject, we talked about it during Government today. I don't really play shooter games so I don't have much insight on the subject though :P

This post has been edited by Lady Estellise: Jan 17, 2013 - 6:05 PM

Holy power that defies my enemies; Resist!

Posted Image
~Signature by Aery~

User is offline   Shinaji 

• Emperor of Lightning ( 雷帝 뇌제 )
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationJamaica
  • Character:Something Cool
  • Guild:Slayers' Tower

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 8:23 PM

Well this made me think that it was directly targeted at video games but it's actually targeted at all forms of media.
While I think it's a waste because this research has been done to death it just feels a little less like "video games are evil" than what this whole thread made me think.
Anyway it is a waste because this research has been done to death, I suspect that it's mostly political though. The American public is up in arms so the government is doing what it always does. Acting like it's doing something about it. :/ Real freaking waste. Maybe at least when they find nothing in the end it'll be another solid research check mark to pull up the next time everyone goes stupid.
First 6 minutes of this video:

User is offline   KTcraft 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUS

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 11:02 PM

The irony is that the NRA blames a lot of the shootings on violence in video games. I am all for having guns, but an interesting twist nonetheless
Posted Image

User is offline   Dexia 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • LocationEgypt
  • Character:Dexia
  • Race:Kun
  • Guild:Nocturne [Rosacea]

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 11:35 PM

Would be much better if he spent the money on researches to lower the LAG , LAG makes people violent.
Posted Image

User is offline   Garzel 

• The Dragon Artificer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationIn my Library
  • Character:Clockwork
  • Class:Force Master
  • Guild:Slayers' Tower

Posted Jan 18, 2013 - 2:41 AM

I don't know how much info there is on the topic at hand but basically as far as my knowledge There going to fund some of there own researchers and make it so that it's not just universities and places like that. Although the topic has been researched TO DEATH. I mean literally the though of violet video game vs kids goes back to.....hell the GTA 1 days....Yes the first Grand Theft Auto. Of corse there have been advances in tech and knowledge from back then but even to this day no one sept for people who have "hypothetical evidence" that half the time don't make any freaking sense have been able to find a link. This will.

Also as someone said, video games are great for marketing as advertising as well. Hell America's Army was a FPS published (and I think developed as well) by the Army to get recruits.

This dissension will go about 2 ways.

1: They will not find anything and this is a stunt to keep people calm about video games and people will start to not take this as a real threat (although that might mean more little kids will get them but that's a sub topic)

2: They will "find" some link and roll with it. Then there will be a media war like before when they tried to pass that internet law the gave power to the government to contol what you search and ultra copyright powers but failed.

On the topic of guns laws, right now 3 of the 20 purposed laws were spoken about at the president's hearing.

1: Ban on all military style assault rifles (I'm guessing AK-47s M4 ect ect.
2: Universal background checks and easier for people to have accuses to this info.
3; The violent video games vs children research.

Remember for ANY of these to pass it also has to get the consent from the others as well so Obama can't just throw is weight around willy nilly. As far as I am concerned I think number 2 will pass for sure because it actually makes sense for people who are selling guns to be able to look this stuff up.

Other then that I don't know about the others. 1 might pass but only temporary.
Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat”- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Posted Image
'Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

User is offline   Awake. 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationOrlando, FL.
  • Race:Gon
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master

Posted Jan 18, 2013 - 4:08 AM

The violence and video games garbage has been around since video games first became popular.

Nothing will come out of it. It never does, and it never will.

They will try to please the angry PTA moms by saying they will do research and testing and blah blah blah just to get the heat off and make them happy, and once the unenlightened masses forget about it in 6 months the projects and research will be forgotten and abandoned and the world will continue rolling like it always does, until the next shooting.
Posted Image

User is offline   Yami Akuma 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • LocationDenmark

Posted Jan 18, 2013 - 5:29 AM

Blaming video games cause some random kid goes out and start shooting ppl.. way to go lol.
Should more blame that guns are so easy for kids to get they hands on =/

Waste of money: check
Those money would be better used to help the poor/homeless or something like that.

This post has been edited by Yami Akuma: Jan 18, 2013 - 5:33 AM

Posted Image

User is offline   Ishmael 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationNew York
  • Character:Ishmael
  • Guild:Dark Elitez

Posted Jan 18, 2013 - 6:21 AM

Wasted Money.
Wasted Time.
A pointless and absurd attempt to keep things "under control".
Video games don't kill people.
Posted Image

Maduk l Fracture Design l Ramses B l Stan SB l Feint l Matrix & Futurebound l Ravager l Netsky l Phetsta l L.A.O.S l Moleman
Receptor l Phace l Indivision l Spillage l Livewire l Gavin G l Custom Soldierz l Raise Spirit l Dexcell l Metrik l Wreckage Machinery
ShockOne l Station Earth l Makoto l Mindtalk l Queensway l Camo & Krooked l Willem de Roo l Chase & Status l Etherwood
Hosta l Loz Contreras l Metrik l Cain Mos l Mage l Tantrum Desire l Smooth l Chords l Talon l Two Thirds l Brookes Brothers

User is offline   Napsys 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationHolland
  • Character:Napsys
  • Guild:Nocturne: Rosacea Family

Posted Jan 18, 2013 - 6:56 AM

well i dont know about you guys but i was raised correctly and i cant even imagine myself getting a gun shooting random innocent people.
its sickening and disgusting. and ive been playing voilent video games all my life.

its just that the people that commit these crimes are just sick, they arent healthy and they have problems.
these problems are either caused by tragic incidents, bad living circumstances or wrong parents etc.
voilent games would be the last to cause someone to commit such crimes..
Posted Image

User is offline   Alice 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas
  • Character:Undecided
  • Guild:Don't have one yet.

Posted Jan 18, 2013 - 6:16 PM

View PostNapsys, on Jan 18, 2013 - 6:56 AM, said:

well i dont know about you guys but i was raised correctly and i cant even imagine myself getting a gun shooting random innocent people.
its sickening and disgusting. and ive been playing voilent video games all my life.

its just that the people that commit these crimes are just sick, they arent healthy and they have problems.
these problems are either caused by tragic incidents, bad living circumstances or wrong parents etc.
voilent games would be the last to cause someone to commit such crimes..

The shooter had plenty of mental health issues; this guy was pretty disturbed. I think it's safe to say that playing a video game isn't going to turn a healthy, kind person into a murderer. This man had been disturbed for along time, and that shooting had a lot of planning put into it. He should never have had an opportunity to get his hands on those guns, that's all I have to say. A mother who knows her son is so disturbed and possibly dangerous like that shouldn't have a gun like that anywhere near him.
There was a hole here... it's gone now.

User is offline   Pucky-Chan :3 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • Character:Pucky

Posted Jan 28, 2013 - 1:59 AM

Man this is such a waste of money.
I am 11 years old and i want to play blade and soul, mom knows about it and i will play it if it's free or B2P. The thing is that it doesn't affect my school in any modes, etc.
So this thing kinda sucks. Ofc i sometimes saw what the hell (rare) or sh*t but this is nothing compared to my classmates.
9.85 grade first semester.

This post has been edited by Pucky-Chan :3: Jan 28, 2013 - 2:00 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users