Blade & Soul Dojo: Obama Calls for Government Funded Research Into Violent Video Games - Blade & Soul Dojo

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Obama Calls for Government Funded Research Into Violent Video Games Rate Topic: -----

User is offline   KingOfAce 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 5:06 AM

http://news.mmosite....deo_games.shtml
Facts about forum...
Someone will correct you over a trivial grammatical error,and it's usually because they're not intelligent enough to actually come up with a smart argument.
All the class are overpowered except the one you using.

geez its just a game have fun man...

User is offline   Ishmael 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationNew York
  • Character:Ishmael
  • Race:Lyn
  • Class:Blade Master
  • Guild:Dark Elitez

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 5:18 AM

I knew this issue would arouse once again. A couple some shootings in the past year and everyone panics. The last thing I ever want to see is games getting banned over here in America because they're too violent.

A little off topic but, my main pet-peeve though is why everyone blames it on Grand Theft Auto. I mean really now? The sole purpose of GTA is to run over prostitutes in a Banshee, not shoot up public facilities (not really lol). Besides, there are other games out there, in fact there are plenty games with JUST shooting. But nope, GTA is the problem.
Posted Image

Maduk l Fracture Design l Ramses B l Stan SB l Feint l Matrix & Futurebound l Ravager l Netsky l Phetsta l L.A.O.S l Moleman
Receptor l Phace l Indivision l Spillage l Livewire l Gavin G l Custom Soldierz l Raise Spirit l Dexcell l Metrik l Wreckage Machinery
ShockOne l Station Earth l Makoto l Mindtalk l Queensway l Camo & Krooked l Willem de Roo l Chase & Status l Etherwood
Hosta l Loz Contreras l Metrik l Cain Mos l Mage l Tantrum Desire l Smooth l Chords l Talon l Two Thirds l Brookes Brothers

User is offline   Aari 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Character:Aari
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 5:41 AM

Violence in game. Big theme in Germany.... Sadly xD
I can't read the article on work since the site is banned. But I find it pretty stupid to blame games for stuff like that.
Nothing against America and the way they life but maybe not having guns for everyone would help? I read that Obama wants to do something about that but the weapon lobby is going pretty hard against it? Im not into the whole thing so I'm in no position to really comment on that xD
Posted Image
Click the Picute for a Livestream with B&S and Tera in 1080p
Youtube Channel with BnS Gameplay & Guides

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationNew York

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 5:59 AM

View PostAari, on Jan 17, 2013 - 5:41 AM, said:

I can't read the article on work since the site is banned. But I find it pretty stupid to blame games for stuff like that.
Nothing against America and the way they life but maybe not having guns for everyone would help? I read that Obama wants to do something about that but the weapon lobby is going pretty hard against it? Im not into the whole thing so I'm in no position to really comment on that xD

Unfortunately that's the issue here in America. "We" are very proud of what we stand for. Taking away guns would be destroying our 2nd amendment which many people, especially Republicans don't want. Taking away our guns would be usurp to any American citizen. There was a debate between Piers Morgan(Britain) and Alex Jones (America) about violence in America. Obviously Morgan wished for us to ban guns, he's sort of like a go between for US and GB in terms on the UN. Jones was belligerently defending us but he had good points. Sure our violence rates compared to Britain are WAY higher, but taking away our guns won't solve it either in Jones' eyes and many others agree. As a matter of fact it'll start an entire civil war with enough supports with and against the situation. Guns aren't just for hunting, there for our protection, and since "we" Americans are so afraid of being pierced by anarchy from some other country, we're gonna keep these guns. If Obama tries to take guns away, he'll most certainly be impeached. Either way keeping guns or taking them away isn't really going to solve things at this juncture. One way or the other, either we "research" games or we have a civil war. I don't know what this "research" will do, but I already don't like the sound of it. I'm currently Switzerland on this situation because I can't see a good outcome from both sides.
Posted Image

Maduk l Fracture Design l Ramses B l Stan SB l Feint l Matrix & Futurebound l Ravager l Netsky l Phetsta l L.A.O.S l Moleman
Receptor l Phace l Indivision l Spillage l Livewire l Gavin G l Custom Soldierz l Raise Spirit l Dexcell l Metrik l Wreckage Machinery
ShockOne l Station Earth l Makoto l Mindtalk l Queensway l Camo & Krooked l Willem de Roo l Chase & Status l Etherwood
Hosta l Loz Contreras l Metrik l Cain Mos l Mage l Tantrum Desire l Smooth l Chords l Talon l Two Thirds l Brookes Brothers

User is offline   Zenek 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 6:11 AM

Because all sins in this world are caused by violence in games...

Pathetic way to waste public money. And worse if they will make changes in games regulations it may affect EU market. Damn USA...

This post has been edited by Zenek: Jan 17, 2013 - 6:13 AM

User is offline   Draven 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Character:Draven

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 7:22 AM

it is such BS.

there are gun violence in america because there are guns.

it is not as if the violent games don't exist in other countries.
just goes to show how democracy does not work in the face of idiots.
my country gets all the "violent" games that America gets but the last time i have ever heard of a shooting was when a policemen committed suicide with his weapon years ago.
why? because only police and soldiers are allowed to have guns

america saying using the 2nd amendment to justify their so -called gun rights are just so pathetically wrong.
the 2nd amendment states that owning of guns are the rights of Trained Militia, not common citizens.
and it refers to the guns at that time, Muskets. so only trained milita are allowed to own muskets.

not common citizens owning assault weapons.
Posted Image

User is offline   Mickey 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Character:Mickey
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 7:47 AM

View PostIshmael, on Jan 17, 2013 - 5:59 AM, said:

Unfortunately that's the issue here in America. "We" are very proud of what we stand for. Taking away guns would be destroying our 2nd amendment which many people, especially Republicans don't want. Taking away our guns would be usurp to any American citizen. There was a debate between Piers Morgan(Britain) and Alex Jones (America) about violence in America. Obviously Morgan wished for us to ban guns, he's sort of like a go between for US and GB in terms on the UN. Jones was belligerently defending us but he had good points. Sure our violence rates compared to Britain are WAY higher, but taking away our guns won't solve it either in Jones' eyes and many others agree. As a matter of fact it'll start an entire civil war with enough supports with and against the situation. Guns aren't just for hunting, there for our protection, and since "we" Americans are so afraid of being pierced by anarchy from some other country, we're gonna keep these guns. If Obama tries to take guns away, he'll most certainly be impeached. Either way keeping guns or taking them away isn't really going to solve things at this juncture. One way or the other, either we "research" games or we have a civil war. I don't know what this "research" will do, but I already don't like the sound of it. I'm currently Switzerland on this situation because I can't see a good outcome from both sides.

The 2nd amendment was made when people actually had to defend themselves, that isn't the case anymore. There is no reason for banning these games not at all. Someone mentally unstable shoots people and it starts a domino affect starting from the dark knight shooting. Also, people die violently everyday why now are they doing something about it?

This post has been edited by FireHead: Jan 17, 2013 - 7:50 AM

Posted Image
E-Vel Mickey<-- I'M SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationNew York

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostFireHead, on Jan 17, 2013 - 7:47 AM, said:

The 2nd amendment was made when people actually had to defend themselves, that isn't the case anymore. There is no reason for banning these games not at all. Someone mentally unstable shoots people and it starts a domino affect starting from the dark knight shooting. Also, people die violently everyday why now are they doing something about it?

Yeah guns are our protection, i was elaborating on the scenario when we lose rights to guns IF it happens. But THIS is stupid, it shouldn't even be an issue. Many people who kill other people don't do it because they saw it in a video game. Besides most serial killers in games are far-fetched. People who shoot up public places have an explicit reason why, not over a dumb game. Many supposedly "psychotic" killers do these things because of many other reasons. Such as losing your job you've been working in for 10 years, or the death of a family member (worst case scenrario, the whole family), or being discriminated or unaccepted in society. Contributing factors like THAT make people kill other people. Many people just have a death warrant, they just don't want anyone to live anymore including themselves sometimes. People can't just blame everything on games, and besides what games are they even talking about? Can they specify?
Posted Image

User is offline   Alice 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas
  • Character:Undecided
  • Class:Summoner
  • Guild:Don't have one yet.

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 10:45 AM

Well, it looks like there are basically two debates that have been brought up by this; the gun debate, and the violent video games debate.

As far as guns go, making something illegal isn't just going to make it disappear like some would like you to think. It's like what happened when they made pot illegal - it didn't stop people from getting their hands on it. The people who want to go crazy and commit a gun crime are GOING to have guns whether they're illegal or not. Making guns illegal will just make it so that the homeowners who have their houses broken into or the people who are robbed at gunpoint in a convenience store won't be able to defend themselves, and crime rate will go up because the criminals who have guns will know that they can get away with it because the law-abiding citizen will not be able to defend themselves.
As for the video game violence debate - a normal, healthy, sane person is not going to suddenly turn into a violent criminal because of a violent video game. Most people just don't have it in them to just go out and shoot a bunch of people. Most people are pretty skittish around guns, actually. Also, people can tell the difference between real violence and fake violence; they aren't stupid. If you were to fill a dummy with ketchup and then blow a hole in it with a shotgun, it wouldn't traumatize someone because they know it's fake. If someone witnesses a real shooting, however, it can scar them irreparably. People are always going to have this debate, and it's always going to be really annoying for us gamers and legal gun owners, but I seriously doubt that anything serious will come of it.
There was a hole here... it's gone now.

User is offline   Kethryes 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Character:Kethryes

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 10:45 AM

*sigh* here we go again blaming all the violance on the videogames but not the actual problem...
When I couldn't make it on time, and didn't know what to do, rather than coming up with a good solution, I immediately gave up.

Myanimelist Profile

User is offline   Alice 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostKethryes, on Jan 17, 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

*sigh* here we go again blaming all the violance on the videogames but not the actual problem...

Yeah, god forbid we actually blame the person who actually did the shooting. Nononono, it's video games that MADE him shoot all those innocent people. *facepalm*

User is offline   Ghastly 

• Large Hammer Master - 槌
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationIn a swamp!
  • Race:Gon
  • Class:Destroyer

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 10:49 AM

If they're talking about COD they're hypocrites since war related games are good propaganda for the military. I'd like to see them be specific :yes:
That's always the problem with accusations and arguments, if you can't be specific then why bother? :laugh:

The real problem is the guns, that's what kills people, not the games. Japan and the UK are doing great without guns. The US likes its borders wide open though so banning guns entirely doesn't work until they use that money to guard their entire border. If China can guard their borders, why can't the US? :laugh:
Posted ImageRemember to read our Forum Rules before posting!
Have a Blade & Soul related question? Check our FAQ before creating a topic/post.
Found a topic/post that violates our Forum Rules? Use the Report button and we'll deal with it!

User is offline   Set 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationNew York

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 10:58 AM

Don't really care for guns myself but it's pretty obvious that getting rid of guns all together won't solve this problem. Using videos games as a scapegoat seems pretty common, understandable but ultimately wrong as well. I more or less agree with Alice. Most crimes involving guns happens to be unregistered guns or rather illegally obtained guns. That being said, I can't imagine how the Gov. would crack down on getting these illegally obtained weapons off the streets.

Though even if guns (legal or illegal) were taken away I strongly feel anyone who truly wishes to do harm to someone, will figure out a way. May not be as easy as using a gun but the overall result can be just as devastating.
Posted Image

Path of Exile Witch Passive skills
http://tinyurl.com/apmm4rt

User is offline   BrandX 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostAari, on Jan 17, 2013 - 5:41 AM, said:

It wouldnt help. Mexico, Brazil, Russia, way stricter gun laws, more murders with guns.

1911 New York enacts The Sullivan Law, this was the strictest gun law anywhere and weapons period. New York still had higher crime than all of the UK.

Psychopaths are everywhere. America has the largest percentage of them.

America is just violent. It's an "All about me society"

The funny thing is before all this, you ask a gamer who they wanted to win the election, and you'd usually hear "Obama"

User is offline   LightningKiller 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Character:LightningKiller
  • Guild:HysTeria

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 11:38 AM

other president who wanna hide the violency of he's country making a stupid law about video games , why he no make a law about guns that is the problem , and the brain sicks people who buy the fire weapons... the guns kill , the video games NOT.

This post has been edited by LightningKiller: Jan 17, 2013 - 11:38 AM

User is offline   Alice 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationTexas

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostLightningKiller, on Jan 17, 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

other president who wanna hide the violency of he's country making a stupid law about video games , why he no make a law about guns that is the problem , and the brain sicks people who buy the fire weapons... the guns kill , the video games NOT.

If every single person who owned a gun was insane and dangerous we would all be dead right now. That's like saying, "Oh, well someone went crazy and gouged out a person's eye with a pencil, so now pencils should be illegal." The only reason gun violence is so common is because someone knows that if they attack someone with a gun they are more likely to get away with it because it's harder to defend yourself against someone with a gun. And even if they did make guns illegal, people would still get their hands on them. Cocaine is illegal, but how many people have you heard of getting high on it and doing something stupid? Cocaine, pot, meth, it's all illegal and yet it's still everywhere. The difference is, you can use a gun responsibly, and most people do.

User is offline   Tashigi 

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 11:43 AM

Ah, the waste/misuse of my poor tax monies.

User is offline   Jayrune 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • LocationTexas
  • Race:Undecided

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 12:00 PM

The waste of american taxpayer dollars is nothing new, case in point, the TSA.

With a little luck, someone will actually pay attention when this research shows no link, like the last 3 rounds of this kind of research showed. I just hope that the NRA doesn't succeed in blocking all the research into owning guns and gun violence yet again. Responsibility where it is owed, the second amendment has it's price, so does limiting it, but nothing will improve so long as scapegoats keep getting thrown in front.
Posted Image

User is offline   Kitsune 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationRequiem Forest
  • Character:Kitsune

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 12:50 PM

I don't think anything significant will happen (nothing drastic like the banning of violence in video games). The video game industry makes a lot of money and helps the economy to keep flowing & growing like "we" want it to.
Posted Image

User is offline   Awake. 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationOrlando, FL.
  • Race:Gon

Posted Jan 17, 2013 - 12:53 PM

When I was in high school, the Marine Corps recruiters would come to our school like every day near the end of the final semester to try and recruit like every senior.

They brought an H2 hummer with a system and TV's in the back with PS3's and let seniors play call of duty out of the back after school got out every day.

CoD was part of the military's recruitment tactics. From that day on, I realized that we never have to worry about violent video game control. As long as violent gaming like CoD are aiding in military recruitment, we have nothing to fear. The government would never allow an end to that.

This post has been edited by Awake.: Jan 17, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users