Blade & Soul Dojo: Sony exec teases PS4 announcement for May or June - Blade & Soul Dojo

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sony exec teases PS4 announcement for May or June Rate Topic: -----

User is offline   Mizuki 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUSA
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Blade Master

Posted Jan 13, 2013 - 6:59 PM

I bought a PS3 from Japan for $1000, we'll see what i'm going to do this time

Sony exec teases PS4 announcement for May or June
"We expect to deliver great news, but we must wait until May, at least."

Sony Home Entertainment vice president Hiroshi Sakamoto has teased a PlayStation 4 announcement for May or June this year.

Asked by Chile news site El Mercurio On-Line at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas whether the PlayStation manufacturer is planning a new console announcement this year, Sakamoto said:

“That’s still a big secret, but our friends at Sony Playstation are getting ready. For now, I can only say that we’re focused in the gaming event E3, scheduled for June.

“This announcement can be by then, or even before then, in May.”

Asked if it would be a “major announcement” or “complementary” one, Sakamoto responded: “Probably the first. On that date, we expect to deliver great news, but we must wait until May, at least.”

Thanks, NeoGAF.

http://gematsu.com/2...nt-for-may-june
Posted Image
Lets go Blade and Soul!

User is offline   Tashigi 

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Jan 13, 2013 - 7:47 PM

It took them nearly five years to turn around the deficit/loss in each PS3 console, due to the price (Even though it was still a fairly high price).
So I am curious as to what they'll do this time. Specially now that "license/publishing" agreements aren't as profitable (This is the sole reason Sony and the Playstation brand managed to stay alive).

User is offline   Mizuki 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA

Posted Jan 13, 2013 - 8:08 PM

They need to launch it for $399, enough of the you will pay for this sexy hardware and like it bs

Posted Image
Posted Image
Lets go Blade and Soul!

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted Jan 13, 2013 - 9:00 PM

Other way around.
People need to start to realize that these "consoles" are now computer devices more than anything. The PS3 specially, had some seriously expensive hardware and the 599 USD price was being sold at a loss in profit.
The next "console" needs to be priced more fairly towards Sony than it's customers I'm afraid.
They can't take the same chance/risk anymore; it just won't work.

User is offline   Mizuki 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA

Posted Jan 13, 2013 - 9:56 PM

True but the average gamer won't be able to afford it

Microsoft is said to be launching a cheaper and full featured console for their next system, Sony may want to consider that

This post has been edited by Mizuki: Jan 13, 2013 - 9:57 PM

Posted Image
Lets go Blade and Soul!

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted Jan 13, 2013 - 10:18 PM

MS has also been ripping off gamers and developers with their fees on online services, DLC updates, licensing, etc. So they can maybe pull it off.
Then again, many XBOX360 users are transitioning to PC/Steam and I doubt they'll go back, given that all services are free, plus there is strong support for mods and much more.
I highly doubt the approach will be the same as before.

Gamers need to start realizing that you pay for what you get.
You don't put a console together with the latest parts and then put it in the hands of gamers, hoping developers and online services will pay for it.

This post has been edited by Tashigi: Jan 13, 2013 - 10:20 PM

User is offline   Mizuki 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA

Posted Jan 13, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Yea that's true and I agree, I was just thinking of the market as it stands now.

One thing that Sony has improved on and needs to keep up with is marketing, as someone said before everywhere they look they see Microsoft which doesn't mean it's a better system but it's out there more
Posted Image
Lets go Blade and Soul!

User is offline   Ghastly 

• Large Hammer Master - 槌
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationIn a swamp!
  • Race:Gon
  • Class:Destroyer
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Jan 14, 2013 - 1:13 AM

It's not marketing, it's cultural differences. Americans like things cheap, low quality. The Japanese on the other hand like quality whether it's cheap or not (Wii/ps3). Europe is somewhere in between but leans to the quality side.

Tashigi and his PC is better rants :laugh:
Will never happen because the culture around consoles and making games for consoles is based on high end quality art.

It's not these games given to gamers to mod and spend hundreds of hours dismantling/breaking down, and getting pirated and handed out to every friend possible :laugh:

FFVII-FFXII. Based on high end quality. The MGS is the same way. Gran Turismo, same. When I say console quality, I mean it. It's not these PC games, which sure there are quality PC games, but on a consistent year to year basis don't match up with console games in quantity and quality.

As long as console game quality and quantity is higher than PC, things will stay the way they are :yes:
Posted ImageRemember to read our Forum Rules before posting!
Have a Blade & Soul related question? Check our FAQ before creating a topic/post.
Found a topic/post that violates our Forum Rules? Use the Report button and we'll deal with it!

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted Jan 14, 2013 - 1:40 AM

It can go either way at this point.
Not sure where you got the PC rant part; I was only pointing obvious things that have been happening over the past few years.

User is offline   Shinaji 

• Emperor of Lightning ( 雷帝 뇌제 )
  • View gallery
  • LocationJamaica
  • Character:Something Cool
  • Class:Assassin
  • Guild:Slayers' Tower

Posted Jan 14, 2013 - 3:09 AM

Let's hope the steam box concept works and forces em to pull up their socks.

Surprised Sony would launch another console, both because of the fiasco with the PS3 and the fact that they said they plan to ride out the PS3 for 10 years.

User is offline   Mizuki 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA

Posted Jan 14, 2013 - 3:23 AM

View PostShinaji, on Jan 14, 2013 - 3:09 AM, said:

Surprised Sony would launch another console, both because of the fiasco with the PS3 and the fact that they said they plan to ride out the PS3 for 10 years.

Well Sony has two fanbases to deal with, the hardcore and casual. Hardcore fans will buy the PS4 day one to 6 months after it's launch while the casuals will buy it 1 - 5 years after it launches. They're going to have both PS3 and PS4 on the market at the same time, the PS4 won't be backwards compatible and devs will still be releasing games for the system plus I don't think they're going to have their Gakai network fully stocked with all games people want to play from PS1 to PS3.

This post has been edited by Mizuki: Jan 14, 2013 - 3:24 AM

Posted Image
Lets go Blade and Soul!

• View gallery
  • LocationIn a swamp!

Posted Jan 14, 2013 - 9:38 AM

View PostShinaji, on Jan 14, 2013 - 3:09 AM, said:

ps2 lasted for 10+ years (continuous sales). When they say 8-10 years they're talking about manufacturing the console for those many years. Console life-cycle is 5-6 years, this is not something that anyone expects to change.

ps3 is more of a success than a fiasco, worldwide is only behind the Wii in this current generation.

View PostMizuki, on Jan 14, 2013 - 3:23 AM, said:

Well Sony has two fanbases to deal with, the hardcore and casual. Hardcore fans will buy the PS4 day one to 6 months after it's launch while the casuals will buy it 1 - 5 years after it launches.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that the casuals won't buy the new xbox until a year to five years later? That generalization is huge. Demographics will buy the consoles at different percentages but to generalize that broadly isn't the way to go. I've seen quite a few console releases and people want to buy and most (when the economy isn't the worst it's been since the Great Depression) do end up buying it.

They're going to have both PS3 and PS4 on the market at the same time, the PS4 won't be backwards compatible and devs will still be releasing games for the system plus I don't think they're going to have their Gakai network fully stocked with all games people want to play from PS1 to PS3.

ps2 and ps3 were on the market at the same time. I doubt the new xbox will be any more backwards compatible than the ps4. The PSN has and continues to have ps1's library. The ps2 games will just start to come up there too (like the Dreamcast games already have).
Have a Blade & Soul related question? Check our FAQ before creating a topic/post.
Found a topic/post that violates our Forum Rules? Use the Report button and we'll deal with it!

• View gallery
  • LocationJamaica

Posted Jan 14, 2013 - 11:57 AM

Oh no, they full intended to ride it out for 10 years. They pointed at some of the tech they put into it that was real expensive and the fact that they purposely sold it at a lost early on.
I read the full article, also the current console generation is over 8 years old.
If Nintendo hadn't come out with a console and made everyone all excited to see the new XBOX or PS then we probably wouldn't really be having this discussion until next year.

Thing is if none of the current three console makers make a push then they all kinda sit easy and rake in the cash.

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted Jan 14, 2013 - 3:37 PM

They have no choice but to pull the 10+ year thing again, before stopping manufacturing.
Their loss in hardware sales has to be made back anyway, although by now they probably have recoup the loss via license/DLC/patch fees, there's no reason not to keep milking.

Regardless, I choose not to take part in this.
The last generation of consoles, is the last for me.
They'd have to do something amazing and not to mention, less "fiasco" esque on the Sony side of things. As for Microsoft, I'm totally done there. For Nintendo... I don't even know what to think of the Wii U, so I'm done there too.
Sony has some shred of hope on my end, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

From here on is not just mainly PC/handheld for me, but it'll likely be the only thing.
I'd rather support Valve/Developers directly, than to feed these companies (MS/Nintendo/Sony) anymore. Although it's nowhere near as bad as how I feel about EA/Origin and lately even Blizzard/Activizion/Vivendi.

User is offline   Amaro57 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Jan 14, 2013 - 6:11 PM

Call me when Sony does something smart like Nintendo and makes their console MMO friendly. I'm not too interested in the PS4 right now as the PS3 has a solid line up ahead of itself these coming years.

User is offline   Ryochan 

• |~Yorai Dragon~|
  • LocationNJ
  • Character:Ryochan

Posted Jan 14, 2013 - 7:10 PM

http://www.neowin.ne...e-of-used-games
http://www.youtube.com/yoraidragon
Rick James: "Cocain Blade and Soul is a hell of a drug." *giggles*
Posted Image

User is offline   Amaro57 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Jan 14, 2013 - 11:00 PM

View PostRyochan, on Jan 14, 2013 - 7:10 PM, said:

That's been known for quite a while. I still think it won't happen as the console that does utilize blocking used games will most likely see a shift in their consumer base to rival consoles. It's all a game really. Sony probably wants to do this, but they know if Microsoft doesn't do it as well then they're screwed. Not every patent technology is actually brought into the product.

• View gallery
  • LocationJamaica

Posted Jan 14, 2013 - 11:07 PM

View PostAmaro57, on Jan 14, 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

That's been known for quite a while. I still think it won't happen as the console that does utilize blocking used games will most likely see a shift in their consumer base to rival consoles. It's all a game really. Sony probably wants to do this, but they know if Microsoft doesn't do it as well then they're screwed. Not every patent technology is actually brought into the product.

Yup, they are probably just waiting around to see if Xbox does it too.
Which wouldn't surprise me because the used game industry is kinda ripping developers off on a massive scale. Pretty much reselling all those games over and over and the devs never see a penny of it.
Especially with lots of games that are so short that they can be beaten easily within the first few days of purchase, traded in and then resold.

It's only really a big issue because of places like game fly that have turned it into a big enough business to hit dev and publisher pockets.

• View gallery
  • LocationIn a swamp!

Posted Jan 15, 2013 - 9:21 AM

Console companies never needed PC gamers to begin with :laugh:
All this bickering about nothing won't affect how the next wave of consoles will fly off the shelves.

View PostTashigi, on Jan 14, 2013 - 3:37 PM, said:

They have no choice but to pull the 10+ year thing again, before stopping manufacturing.
Their loss in hardware sales has to be made back anyway, although by now they probably have recoup the loss via license/DLC/patch fees, there's no reason not to keep milking.

Regardless, I choose not to take part in this.
The last generation of consoles, is the last for me.
They'd have to do something amazing and not to mention, less "fiasco" esque on the Sony side of things. As for Microsoft, I'm totally done there. For Nintendo... I don't even know what to think of the Wii U, so I'm done there too.
Sony has some shred of hope on my end, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

From here on is not just mainly PC/handheld for me, but it'll likely be the only thing.
I'd rather support Valve/Developers directly, than to feed these companies (MS/Nintendo/Sony) anymore. Although it's nowhere near as bad as how I feel about EA/Origin and lately even Blizzard/Activizion/Vivendi.

Sony is a multi billion dollar company, why do you care so much what they make? You keep bringing up the sales part of it as if affects operations. The ps3 is following the ps2. It will keep being manufactured up to 4 more years like the ps2 was. The ps4 is in the works, operations isn't affected at all. The console lifecycle is roughly 5-6 years. This is nothing new.

View PostAmaro57, on Jan 14, 2013 - 6:11 PM, said:

Call me when Sony does something smart like Nintendo and makes their console MMO friendly. I'm not too interested in the PS4 right now as the PS3 has a solid line up ahead of itself these coming years.

MMO friendly? Really? Besides FFXIV and B&S is there an mmorpg matching console game quality? I don't see any mmorpg worth subscribing to. MMORPGs is the last thing console gamers need. This is again a PC gamer's point of view. It's like console gamers wanting PC games to have more storylines, higher quality production, etc.

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted Jan 15, 2013 - 10:11 AM

The business model does affect the production process.
There is nothing wrong in wanting a broader list of features, even if some come from other platforms.
PC has TONS of high production value games; it just so happens you don't care for those type of games. Stop bashing what you don't understand/appreciate blindly. I don't think anyone here has bashed Sony's or any other console's first party/exclusive games, have we?

And again, this isn't about PC or console perspectives.
This is about consumers and developers and the companies in between. You're the only one bringing up the PC/console thing as if were relevant.
So again, if Sony wants my business as a consumer, they better ramp up their game.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users