Blade & Soul Dojo: Why Blade and Soul online? - Blade & Soul Dojo

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why Blade and Soul online? What made you decide? Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

Poll: What made you decide? (71 member(s) have cast votes)

I choose B&So because....

1. I love the asian theme. (38 votes [18.36%])

Percentage of vote: 18.36%

2. of the extensive character customization (37 votes [17.87%])

Percentage of vote: 17.87%

3. of the dazzeling surroundings (35 votes [16.91%])

Percentage of vote: 16.91%

4. the combat style rocks! (40 votes [19.32%])

Percentage of vote: 19.32%

5. of the well told Lore (14 votes [6.76%])

Percentage of vote: 6.76%

6. I'm just a MMO junky (15 votes [7.25%])

Percentage of vote: 7.25%

7. JUST EVERYTHING! (28 votes [13.53%])

Percentage of vote: 13.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Kin-Pantsu88 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationNetherlands
  • Race:Kun
  • Class:Force Master

Posted Jan 05, 2013 - 4:29 PM

The most important feature of the j-RPG's are the strong story line, including some MMO's.

I just hope in B&So the storyline isn't to "linear" like Final fantasy X.
Or to scattered around like Final fantasy X-2 (hardly understood what to do, or need to here).

Yes....I like using emotes. :D

User is offline   Velad 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Jan 05, 2013 - 8:13 PM

Honestly, cause it looks interesting to me. I try most MMOs, and stick with what I like.

User is offline   Nattsu 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Jan 06, 2013 - 5:05 PM

What drew me towards this game was simply the pictures i saw of the game.

Finally a asian inspired mmo with bright warm colors and ofc the fantasy aspect of running on water and walls and ofc flying :big_smile:

Like some others i also come from Tera and fell in love with the combat system Tera had, altho this is not completely the same it will be close enough .
And also i feel all these former mmo ex. wow rift and many other, the medival theme runs deep.
it is so grim and dark and sad, reminds me of dark autumn evenings in cold ass Norway!

I have no problem about P2P, i look at it as a way of supporting the game and keep it form going out of buisness :surrender:
i also pay for other intenet stuff i like ex. spotify, then why not a game.

i come from CoH from back in the days so character customization is a huge plus(in CoH every char could be unique)
and also what i missed in tera was a story between two factions so u chose your side and fought.

Looking forward to this also because i am a huge anime fan and i cant help feeling im in Naruto when i get to run on water :big_smile:

-Nattsu out.

User is offline   Mizuki 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA
  • Class:Blade Master

Posted Jan 06, 2013 - 6:17 PM

All of the above plus I'm really impressed with the quality of the music
Posted Image
Lets go Blade and Soul!

User is offline   Mushi 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • LocationHalo's Ring
  • Character:Mushi
  • Race:Lyn
  • Guild:MoonTree

Posted Jan 07, 2013 - 8:49 PM

Might not understand how I feel if I told you but i'll say this.

Blade & Soul to me is not just a game it's something iv been looking for a while now.

Where I live is.......not a happy place put it like that, house is TAN AND RED for crying out loud who makes there our TAN and RED?!?!, thanks Dad.

Living in a poor city like Maryland with no signs of life, dead tress, poor looking towns is not the best place to be, rather be in a beautiful place like Japan/Korea or....I don't know some place where I can finally find some peace and quite without worrying that I might die every 5 seconds from gun fire and go back outside again, If people see you with a Cat hat on walking down the street they would just look at you strange, house is dead, grass is dead, Dad chopped down all the beautiful tress we had, turned the yard into a nightmare, back yard is hell worse, don't get me started with inside the house....

Me im a real shy guy can't even look at someone without putting my head down, All I ever wanted was that big Cherry Blossom tree on that hill I could just sit under with my girl friend. And I can't get that and I never will cause no place like that exist you only find things like that in games, and well if you ever watch any of the .//Hack Anime NOT the rip off Sword ark or whatever it's called, then you'd now what im felling right now, all that Pain I have everyday from getting up to sleeping wondering when things will get better for me but it never dose, trapped in my room for.....god I don't even know how long iv been in here, 5 Years maybe? Only time I have fun is when Otakon comes.

Blade & Soul with all it's Beautiful scenery, Characters, Amazing Costumes and whatever else I can't think of now is everything I need in Real Life. in that game I.....I don't know it's just paradise for me, im not here for the story, pvp, or leveling im here cause I found OUTER HEAVEN.
I hate all Newgens
Posted Image

User is offline   Lady Estellise 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Character:Lady Estellise

Posted Jan 07, 2013 - 9:02 PM

I really love the dynamic combat system that B&S provides, it keeps the game interesting and the class styles are all centered around fighting(no support/healing classes per say) which is awesome because from my name you might have guessed I am always the one who breaks down and supports for all my friends ect in games :D
Holy power that defies my enemies; Resist!

Posted Image
~Signature by Aery~

User is offline   Kryscent 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Character:Kryscent
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master
  • Guild:Descendants

Posted Jan 07, 2013 - 9:09 PM

View PostLady Estellise, on Jan 07, 2013 - 9:02 PM, said:

I really love the dynamic combat system that B&S provides, it keeps the game interesting and the class styles are all centered around fighting(no support/healing classes per say) which is awesome because from my name you might have guessed I am always the one who breaks down and supports for all my friends ect in games :D

Wow, you have the same concept as I do, hi-five !
Posted Image
Please do PM me or post in my support thread here if you got any kinds of problem about China Blade and Soul / Translation

User is offline   Gender Infection 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip

Posted Jan 09, 2013 - 5:07 PM

View PostZenek, on Jan 05, 2013 - 7:27 AM, said:

jRPG were popular, that is true. But if you see... this genre is in crisis from long time. It is hard to find rly good jRPG. Times where Xenosaga, Valkyria Profile, Star Ocean or FF dominated RPG marked are gone. Current jRPG are not even half good as old titles (IMO only Valkyria Chronicles keep high standards). Current Final Fantasy is crap compared to old games from this serie.

Final Fantasy has gone significantly downhill. However, that is only one game franchise by only one company. In fact I see a sad reliance on Final Fantasy titles for "good jRPGs" in your list. In my opinion, the Tales franchise is of far higher quality than Star Ocean. And the Tales Studio side of the Tales of Phantasia product has grown far better than the Tri-Ace side.

And even then, the new Star Ocean game isn't nearly as bad as it was reviewed out to be. And didn't have the ridiculous plot twist thrown in at the last minute that Star Ocean 3 did. This generation also has great Japanese RPGs like Dragon Quest IX, Tales of Graces f, Tales of Xillia, Xenoblade Chronicles, and multiple other great titles. In fact the only change in Japanese RPG quality is that more of the great Japanese RPGs are for handheld systems.

Also, I think you mess hate for single feature, element with hate for whole culture.

Then you ignored the part where I said the same sort of thing about androgyny. And that I like Blade & Soul for its Asianess in general.

As well as contrasted it to Tera as being more Asian aesthetically and thematically. For all Tera lacks some of the finer points of Western culture for "uniqueness", it is still far more Western than Tera. While Tera and Blade & Soul both have the Elin and Lyn, the aesthetic of Tera is far more Western as well as harsh. Particularly after Westernization by En Masse and Frogster. The clothes and settings and classes of Tera are clearly Western. Much of the architecture is clearly Roman. The classes, while not adorning appropriate attire, are based on Western fantasy. And Tera has gone for a theme of darkness, with the Argonians. Blade & Soul, conversly, has been more marketed on cuteness, with singing cats, an even greater degree of lush green nature than Tera, and sports architecture, classes, and a general feel inspired by Chinese traditions rather than Roman or Nordic ones. Furthermore, the cuteness that was uses in the promotion in Korea will likely stay more intact when brought to the West than Tera was, as it is handled by NCSoft, not En Masse or Frogster. Who would rather cheaply paint over any Asianess in the aesthetic of Tera to make the game seem more like it was developed my Westerners.

And it is the general Asianness in such a gaming climate, not just the presence of cuteness or so forth, that appeals to me about Blade & Soul.

I said nothing about Asian culture being classed by youth or cuteness. However, differences in culture were cited by En Masse for their decision to censor the Elin of Tera and market the game radically different than it had been marketed in Asia. And we are talking about the game industry, where a lot of fights about Eastern and Western games revolve around Westerners bashing Asian aesthetic sensibilities that have been popular in East Asia for over a decade.

And whether you like it or not, cuteness has become a pervasive part of the East Asian pop culture. Not just in Japan, but in countries like South Korea, the Chinese youth culture, and even somewhat of Southeast Asia as well. The "youth" is a part of the cute aesthetic that is popular. And does mark an difference in aesthetic approach in video game development that has existed for over a decade and can be seen as far back as Famicom titles and further. And which is why you tend to see the anime or otherwise aesthetic in almost all Korean video games. It is certainly far from the only aspect of East Asian culture, but is is a huge force in the youth culture and pop culture.

And it is why you see even races like the Elin and Lyn in even the more Westernized, realistic, and large budget games out of South Korea. Though there is pressure to delete traces of cuteness from East Asian developers to appeal to the West and instead appeal to a power fantasy ideal like a male body builder character. And not just that, but a suppression of most of the common tropes in Japanese video games. Such as androgyny, Eastern architecture, and so forth.

This Westernization can be seen in the fact that Dark Souls looks more like a Western RPG than a jRPG. The fact that a Western company is handling the new installment of the Devil May Cry franchise. A Finnish company was asked to handle the new Ridge Racer game. Capcom is looking into more wRPG like games such as Dragon's Dogma. The fact that the new Resident Evil game has been changed to more closely resemble a first person shooter. And likely the reason that Megaman Legends 3 was cancelled.

it does not means we do not like asian culture, just this single element.

No, but cuteness, androgyny, and other aesthetic things common of Asian video games are often used as a whining point about Asian video games. And it is obvious that the taste of someone who prefers to play a tall character with facial hair will be more catered to by Western developers than East Asian ones. While if someone likes cuteness or a lack of exaggerated secondary sex characteristics, that is pervasive in the East Asian gaming industry.

And speaking of your Ikkitousen example. That has the stereotypical big eyed anime schoolgirl characters. Just with big curves instead of no curves. And part of the Asianess of Blade and Soul isn't just the pretense of races like the Lyn. But the fact that the other races are anime-esque and have huge, young looking eyes. In fact the designs of Blade & Soul in general are more young and anime esque looking than of Tera. In fact one of the only things more Asian aesthetically about Tera than Blade & Soul, is the design and appearance of the male high elves.

This post has been edited by Gender Infection: Jan 09, 2013 - 5:16 PM

User is offline   Kitsune 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationRequiem Forest
  • Character:Kitsune

Posted Jan 09, 2013 - 11:44 PM

Anyone else think it's ridiculous that there's a genre of games generalized by its country of origin?
Posted Image

User is offline   Kerro 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationSweden
  • Character:Kerro
  • Race:Undecided

Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 6:20 AM

Im a huge pvp freak but so far combat mechanics have let me down. But man, B&S looks so smooth! :dribble:

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 6:35 AM

As a reply to Gender infection's book work (realy, so much reading material)

The "Youth" youre talking about, the main reason the youth concept appeals to the youth that play the game is because: They can imagine them self in that spot.

Like you never wanted super powers or awesome moves to make youre friends awestuck, make the bullies grovel before you, or to impress that cute girl.

User is offline   Amaro57 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Guild:Slayers' Tower

Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 1:50 PM

View PostSugu, on Jan 03, 2013 - 4:56 PM, said:

Blade&Soul is unique to me because of the Asian Theme, Amazing character customization, the big open world with stunning environments, and the action combat. I also like that can fly and run on water, though I still prefer mounts.

View PostAlice, on Jan 03, 2013 - 5:26 PM, said:

I think the biggest reason I'm so interested in BnS is that the graphics are just so amazing. The scenery, the characters, everything just looks so pretty! :dribble: Of course, the fact that you can learn to run across walls and glide around is pretty amazing to me, too. I mean, who DOESN'T want to be able to fly? I've really never played an mmo with such an in-depth combat system like Tera or BnS, so I don't know how I feel about the combat, but it definitely looks more interesting than button mashing!

View PostFamfrit, on Jan 03, 2013 - 5:36 PM, said:

The whole Aesthetic is just astonishing, Hyung Tae Kim is really such an inspiring artist, his clothing designs are gorgeous and the whole world looks and feels beautiful. The combat is also amazing and Qing Gong is such a wonderful mechanic that adds a whole new dimension to the game. :joss_stick:

Also FM weapons are really pretty. :misdoubt:

View PostGhastly, on Jan 03, 2013 - 6:31 PM, said:

It reminded me of Demon's Souls, a colorful Demon's Souls. The next thing that grabbed me was the quality of the game, the graphics, the environments, the game's art, the classes.

Most mmorpgs have nice art but the games look and play badly. I still yet to see an mmorpg that warrants paying any money for. B&S is the only one that changed my mind.

View PostZahad, on Jan 03, 2013 - 6:32 PM, said:

One of the biggest reason that really got me into this game is the high level of character customization. I mean, it's almost impossible to run into a person who looks exactly like you, considering that there are so many different hairstyles, doboks, and weapons. The character customization is so high in this game, that you can make a character look totally identical to some celebrities in real world O:

View PostLaner, on Jan 03, 2013 - 7:18 PM, said:

For me it's mainly both the aesthetics of the game, and the combat system. But mostly it's just because I'm an mmo junky, can't live without them, I've tried many different mmos. This one does stand out! Can't wait for english version ^_^

View PostVile Samael, on Jan 03, 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

The aesthetics and what we thought the gameplay was drew me and my friends in years ago, but once we found it it wasn't quite as innovative and unique as we thought a lot of us dropped off. I'm starting to drop off as well, especially if they go P2P. It's just not unique enough or engaging enough for me to justify a monthly payment. Yeah it's pretty, and some of the outfits look really nice, but the only race I really like is the Lyn. It'd be too much work to fix the anatomy on the other races, plus Lyn has all the classes I'm really interested in other than KFM. Being a KFM isn't enough of an incentive to tweak the anatomy to the extent that I'd have to.

Community would also be a pretty big key in if I stay or not, but that'll be something to be determined once it comes out.

View PostKitsune, on Jan 03, 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

It is the perfect MMO for me. The eastern mythological influences, the combat system, the enticing visuals, and the simple yet diverse races/classes. It's a ray of light & hope in the MMO market that I was gradually losing faith in.

View PostKin-Pantsu88, on Jan 05, 2013 - 4:29 PM, said:

The most important feature of the j-RPG's are the strong story (Read: For Plot.) line, including some MMO's.

I just hope in B&So the storyline isn't to "linear" like Final fantasy X.
Or to scattered around like Final fantasy X-2 (hardly understood what to do, or need to here).

View PostVelad, on Jan 05, 2013 - 8:13 PM, said:

Honestly, cause it looks interesting to me. I try most MMOs, and stick with what I like.

View PostNattsu, on Jan 06, 2013 - 5:05 PM, said:

What drew me towards this game was simply the pictures i saw of the game

Finally a asian inspired mmo with bright warm colors and ofc the fantasy aspect of running on water and walls and ofc flying :big_smile:

Like some others i also come from Tera and fell in love with the combat system Tera had, altho this is not completely the same it will be close enough .
And also i feel all these former mmo ex. wow rift and many other, the medival theme runs deep.
it is so grim and dark and sad, reminds me of dark autumn evenings in cold ass Norway!

I have no problem about P2P, i look at it as a way of supporting the game and keep it form going out of buisness :surrender:
i also pay for other intenet stuff i like ex. spotify, then why not a game.

i come from CoH from back in the days so character customization is a huge plus(in CoH every char could be unique)
and also what i missed in tera was a story between two factions so u chose your side and fought.

Looking forward to this also because i am a huge anime fan and i cant help feeling im in Naruto when i get to run on water :big_smile:

-Nattsu out.

In case you still missed it:

View PostTashigi, on Jan 03, 2013 - 5:34 PM, said:

Boobs.

This post has been edited by Amaro57: Jan 10, 2013 - 1:58 PM

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 3:17 PM

To lazy to use youre own words? :sweats:

And quote almost half the topic :big_smile:

This post has been edited by Kin-Pantsu88: Jan 10, 2013 - 3:17 PM

User is offline   Famfrit 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationLimsa at night <3
  • Character:Eifa Carey

Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 3:44 PM

View PostKin-Pantsu88, on Jan 10, 2013 - 3:17 PM, said:

To lazy to use youre own words? :sweats:

And quote almost half the topic :big_smile:

I feel he may have been emphasizing the fact that a lot of people like the game for its looks.
Posted Image

User is offline   Tashigi 

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 3:48 PM

More specifically the boobs.

User is offline   Vile Samael 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Character:Ryang Huan-Yong
  • Class:Summoner

Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 3:52 PM

View PostTashigi, on Jan 10, 2013 - 3:48 PM, said:

More specifically the boobs.

Nah, Hyung-Tae Kim's lemon boobs freak me out.
Posted Image

User is offline   Tashigi 

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 3:57 PM

View PostVile Samael, on Jan 10, 2013 - 3:52 PM, said:

DO NOT QUESTION THE BOOBS.

User is offline   Amaro57 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Guild:Slayers' Tower

Posted Jan 10, 2013 - 10:23 PM

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Amaro57: Jan 10, 2013 - 10:24 PM

User is offline   Kerro 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationSweden
  • Character:Kerro
  • Race:Undecided

Posted Jan 11, 2013 - 1:25 AM

You d-d-d-dont like the b-b-b-oobies? :sob:
But they're so shaky! :adore:
They make me giggle

User is offline   Vile Samael 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Character:Ryang Huan-Yong
  • Class:Summoner

Posted Jan 11, 2013 - 1:51 AM

View PostKerro, on Jan 11, 2013 - 1:25 AM, said:

You d-d-d-dont like the b-b-b-oobies? :sob:
But they're so shaky! :adore:
They make me giggle

I don't think they like themselves, either, in a lot of his art it looks like they're trying to escape.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users