Blade & Soul Dojo: P2P or B2P? - Blade & Soul Dojo

• 28 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

P2P or B2P? Rate Topic: -----

Poll: P2P or B2P? (204 member(s) have cast votes)

P2P or B2P?

1. P2P (75 votes [36.76%])

Percentage of vote: 36.76%

2. B2P (129 votes [63.24%])

Percentage of vote: 63.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Foamy 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 2:36 PM

View PostBLöDSKääL, on Jan 30, 2013 - 9:27 PM, said:

yeah but if you have P2P and cashshop, there will be a steady income that will make it so the servers have regular maintenance and updates, and then extras from the cash shop that will make the developers more inspired to keep on thinking of stuff. B2P games like GW2 cant be compared to BNS because despite me really enjoying Gw2, it really is not in the same calibre. WHich is why it cant be F2P or B2P. P2P is the only way for Bns to go and grow like wow did, and potentially become big.

IMO:

P2p and cash shop would mean that they'd start their venture in the west already shot in the foot, the game won't get and can't get enough spotlight to make more than a few people pay the price of the box plus months and unfortunately P2P is all about the subscribers. Most of the p2p community here is held by wow and BnS ain't the game to tear any of that chunk away. As i said in another thread it's just another standard mmo with good visuals and somewhat different combat system coming from Korea ( first problem, in the minds of many, a game developed in Korea means generic mmo with lots of grind attached to it). It's thought better than Tera but nothing to brag about. It will most likely be a fotm mmo, with high pop in the begging to a wasteland the coming months.

Second point, the art style, while the game is beautiful, "anime" type graphics aren't everyones cup of tea, especially considering the amount of fanservice included. I'll include lore in this point as well since it's somewhat similar. The game has no major following, nothing to be based upon, it will be a new venture. Like Swtor had Star Wars to drive the sales even though it was a sub par game BnS doesn't have anything aside from some flashy trailers and the promise of "groundbreaking" systems ( like every other recent mmo bleh).

Third and final point which is mostly something out of NcSoft's hands (somewhat), the game will have a great contender this year. This game has a huge following, is way more hyped and has one of the most liked series in gaming as a facade. A game developed in the west for the western audience, the next big thing in mmo's ( next big fail more likely) but non the less a game that could have a reason to try P2P.

All in all, what i'm saying is keep it simple, make the game b2p or even f2p with restrictions, from the begging, give more people the chance to try it and most will likely love it and stay. But in this time and era when marketing and perceptions mean everything, BnS has no chance of succeeding as p2p mmo and while i would love a small community like this forum to play the game, a larger following usually means a better, healthier game.

User is offline   BLöDSKääL 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Character:BLoDSKaaL
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Assassin
  • Guild:Slayers' Tower

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 3:57 PM

hmm you have a point, there is no doubt in that. But to release BnS as a B2P or F2P will no doubt just make a bigger hole in the pockets of NCSoft. From what I understand, BnS is doing well in Korea, unlike Tera did, and that does not mean that just because its a korean game, its gonna flop regardless of anything in the west. There is no other contender for BnS Other than Tera, and Tera is going F2P, but thats because everything but the combat in the game is washed up garbage. As far as i can tell, BnS Is not so, at least not so far.

And any new MMO that is supposed to come out, IMO is not better than Tera even, let alone BnS in that sense. Granted BnS is not the best game in the world, but neither is any other game out there.

And they already have Guildwars 2 in their B2P Arsenal, so i dont think they want another one

making the game F2P, will only turn it into P2W, because thats the only way F2P games can turn their economy booming, with exception to few games out there
Posted Image
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no law and order,
never is there equality to be found,
for love, we kill,
for murder, we die,
for death, we moan,
so why for sorrow, we love?

User is offline   Tashigi 

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 4:09 PM

B&S has received more attention from the developers than TERA did. That's for sure.
Content wise, B&S is already ahead of TERA because of this. Keep in mind TERA released nearly two years ago in Korea. B&S just released last summer. So that goes to say a few things.

B&S is following on the steps of a certain MMO giant (World of Warcraft) as far as updates go.
So a P2P model is definitely valid... at least in Korea.
For NA and EU... after AION and now TERA? The Korean's image is too tarnished. I think NCSOFT will have to take the hit regardless of model. They'll have to market a lot. But so far, we haven't seen any of that marketing. So that kind of worries me a little.

A B2P model seems the most logical way to attract people. If they used the B2P model, the first game they'll look back to, will be GW2. Not AION and definitely not TERA (Yes, different publisher/developer; but still "Korean" made).
I think that's their best course of action.

Besides... I'll admit it.
I've spent more in GW2 gems for random cosmetic stuff (Fine Transmutation Stones/Vanity) than I normally would have in a P2P environment.
I don't think B2P is really that far behind as a model, in contrast with P2P IMO.

This post has been edited by Tashigi: Jan 31, 2013 - 4:10 PM

User is offline   Famfrit 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationLimsa at night <3
  • Character:Eifa Carey
  • Race:Kun
  • Class:Force Master

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 4:49 PM

Sooooo much speculaaaaaation :shakehead:

NCsoft needs to release some news if anything to provide a definitive answer to this perpetual discussion.
Posted Image

User is offline   Lady Estellise 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Character:Lady Estellise

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 5:05 PM

Indeed, INDEED. Best thing to do is just wait and see.
Holy power that defies my enemies; Resist!

Posted Image
~Signature by Aery~

User is offline   Vile Samael 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Character:Ryang Huan-Yong
  • Race:Lyn
  • Class:Summoner

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 5:27 PM

Oh, I just realized. A little note to think about.

The west isn't going to be as big of a "We need this to get our development budget paid and start getting a profit" since it's so huge in the east. They're getting a bunch of money from KR. The only fees they'll need to think about for the west is translation and dubbing budget and some other stuff like maintenance, which isn't going to cost millions of dollars. They're not making a whole new game, they're localizing one that's already done. West is going to have a much smaller number to beat before they start actually profiting. So, even if B2P makes less money as you say, (it doesn't, gonna be honest,) it's not as big a deal for here. If it were developed here and this was the very first game launch? Yes, budget would be a big deal. A localization? Not so much.
Posted Image

User is offline   Zef 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 6:27 PM

View PostBLöDSKääL, on Jan 30, 2013 - 9:27 PM, said:

yeah but if you have P2P and cashshop, there will be a steady income that will make it so the servers have regular maintenance and updates, and then extras from the cash shop that will make the developers more inspired to keep on thinking of stuff. B2P games like GW2 cant be compared to BNS because despite me really enjoying Gw2, it really is not in the same calibre. WHich is why it cant be F2P or B2P. P2P is the only way for Bns to go and grow like wow did, and potentially become big.

I'm not inclined to agree on gw2 not being same caliber. B&S and GW2 are quite different, but in overall sum up they're both top dogs, even if one is a boxer and other husky.

And i disagree on P2P needed to make B&S grow to WoW sizes. Because "P2P is needed for patches etc....fails short of simple fact. They already have all the money they need for patching. From koreans. Else they would not get new content updates with such frequency. Our money is needed for...erm what? Translation?...I still fail to see a reason P2P with Cash Shop should be tolerated.

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 7:04 PM

... they are not going to take money from Korea to do the patching... not if they cant make the money here? why would they waste money they already have, when they can use money they are already generating with the game? While korea's dept, will most likely give the funds to get the setup started, the point of the game releasing here is to generate revenue... if its not going to do that and require NCSoft to bring forth capital, NCWest is just not gonna get BnS, simple as that
Posted Image
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for love, we kill,
for murder, we die,
for death, we moan,

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 8:22 PM

View PostBLöDSKääL, on Jan 31, 2013 - 7:04 PM, said:

... they are not going to take money from Korea to do the patching... not if they cant make the money here? why would they waste money they already have, when they can use money they are already generating with the game? While korea's dept, will most likely give the funds to get the setup started, the point of the game releasing here is to generate revenue... if its not going to do that and require NCSoft to bring forth capital, NCWest is just not gonna get BnS, simple as that

B2P does make money though. It makes a lot of money. B2P easily contends with P2P in the money-making department. Also patching is included with maintenance.
Posted Image

User is offline   Mickey 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Character:Mickey
  • Class:Blade Master
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 8:52 PM

Considering the fact that I need to pay 400 to upgrade my PC I think b2p would work best for me.
Hoping the launch isn't soon.
Posted Image
E-Vel Mickey<-- I'M SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE

User is offline   Ghastly 

• Large Hammer Master - 槌
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationIn a swamp!
  • Race:Gon
  • Class:Destroyer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 9:15 PM

View PostTashigi, on Jan 31, 2013 - 9:01 PM, said:

You realize the ACTUAL price for a console is actually well over 900 USD on launch?
Nevermind, I don't think you'd get any of that.

He didn't even mention console in his post :ohmy:
A lot of console and pc people stick to one or the other. Few pc or console players care enough or have enough money to get both.
Posted ImageRemember to read our Forum Rules before posting!
Have a Blade & Soul related question? Check our FAQ before creating a topic/post.
Found a topic/post that violates our Forum Rules? Use the Report button and we'll deal with it!

User is offline   Lady Estellise 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Character:Lady Estellise

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 9:34 PM

You realize the ACTUAL price for a console is actually well over 900 USD on launch?

How is that at all relevant to what he posted? :P
Holy power that defies my enemies; Resist!

Posted Image
~Signature by Aery~

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 9:49 PM

tashi got confuse lol

View PostVile Samael, on Jan 31, 2013 - 8:22 PM, said:

B2P does make money though. It makes a lot of money. B2P easily contends with P2P in the money-making department. Also patching is included with maintenance.

B2P makes the same amount of money as P2P does, Minus the subs.... basic math?

and maintenance needs to be paid for... no one will maintain something for free
Posted Image
for love, we kill,
for murder, we die,
for death, we moan,

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 9:50 PM

View PostBLöDSKääL, on Jan 31, 2013 - 9:49 PM, said:

tashi got confuse lol

B2P makes the same amount of money as P2P does, Minus the subs.... basic math?

and maintenance needs to be paid for... no one will maintain something for free

More people buying large amount of cash shop merchandise. People spend way more money on subscriptionless games than they do on subscription games.

"The only fees they'll need to think about for the west is translation and dubbing budget and some other stuff like maintenance" I addressed maintenance, please read, thank you.

This post has been edited by Vile Samael: Jan 31, 2013 - 9:53 PM

Posted Image

User is offline   Mickey 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 10:11 PM

I can wait if it over 900 I am a PC/console gamer and?
Posted Image

User is offline   Mickey 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Also, I was off the topic of consoles like a week ago until next gen comes out I'm satisfied with the ones I have.

Actually, in that post I was suggesting next gen mmo's should think about going PC/console.

Was a suggestion, and?
I do also think playing on a console is cheaper instead of upgrading every few years. I don't see why you wanted to point that out.

This post has been edited by Stacked Ares: Jan 31, 2013 - 10:24 PM

Posted Image

User is offline   Ghastly 

• Large Hammer Master - 槌
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationIn a swamp!
  • Race:Gon
  • Class:Destroyer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 10:23 PM

Calm down Tashigi. If he doesn't want to spend money on PC you don't need to go on a crusade to prevent him from being consoles which you don't even know when he buys them. Maybe he buys them 2-4 years after they release when the price for them is down.

Back to the discussion.

@Ares

Report any such attacks, completely uncalled for. I'm buying the next wave of consoles too, as will a lot of players (higher population of players) :yes:
Posted ImageRemember to read our Forum Rules before posting!
Have a Blade & Soul related question? Check our FAQ before creating a topic/post.
Found a topic/post that violates our Forum Rules? Use the Report button and we'll deal with it!

User is offline   Mickey 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 10:31 PM

I never said that this was fact I said in my opinion. It is my opinion that I think it's cheaper ,is it not?
But anyway it doesn't really matter one man's opinion.

This post has been edited by Stacked Ares: Jan 31, 2013 - 10:35 PM

Posted Image

User is offline   gunner429 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Guild:Affliction

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 11:14 PM

View PostMythicalbrit, on Jan 28, 2013 - 3:09 AM, said:

just because a game is F2P doesnt mean it will lead to P2W take a look at League, POE, neither is P2P or B2P yet both have 0 Payment options that lead to advantage within the gameplay.

There has been no official word and they said they would CONSIDER (Keyword that has been said multiple times now) the payment method used for western release.

Still not too likely, sorry to burst your bubble. True fans of the game will play it no matter what option, and if you don't mind me saying your post to me was pretty short and rude. Yes, I know what the said. Does that change my opinion on it? No.
Posted Image

Signature/Guild Banner courtesy of blue sky 900

User is offline   Cinnamin 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip

Posted Jan 31, 2013 - 11:41 PM

I feel like I have to say this: I like Tera's payment model. I wish more games would do this same kind of status structure. I also find B2P with a cosmetic cash shop appealing. Honestly, I can't see BNS having a large player base in the West with a P2P model.
I agree; a group of true hardcore fans will continue to play this game no matter what, but since NCsoft is westernizing and dubbing everything, it's difficult not to believe that NCWest wants it to be BIG and appeal to all kinds of players! This thread is all about speculation and opinion, though. If it's P2P, I'll probably try it out but I'll be comparing and rating it harshly.
...We need news. And I was betting for more news yesterday, 1/30. Yeah, I'm disappointed. :cry:

This post has been edited by Cinnamin: Jan 31, 2013 - 11:52 PM

Share this topic:

• 28 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users