• You cannot reply to this topic

Westernization/Translation (dub vs sub)

User is offline   fatkitty 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Dec 12, 2012 - 5:25 PM

I'd just like to point out to the NCWEST folks that some (i'm guessing most) people prefer a subbed version of game/anime/films etc
i being a korean born player, prefer the korean voiceover.
we all know how "westerners" butcher asian names in general (i.e Hyundai is pronounced as Hundai)
i hope that they would either leave korean voiceover alone, or allow a option to choose audio language.

a quick poll should show the general preference towards subbed version of anime/kung fu films/games etc.
with so many of the in-game dialogue having npc names (thats pretty difficult to pronounce by western standards), save the budget on voiceover and invest that budget into a more quality translation...

i dont know how "western" voiceover will pronounce i.e chun ryung gang si / eun gwang il / dok cho guh sa etc etc
please keep the "signature eastern mmorpg" theme intact via "subbing" or at least give the choice of voiceover language choice on launch (North america).

thank you!
Fatkitty

User is offline   LoliLover 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • View blog
  • Race:Lyn
  • Class:Summoner

Posted Dec 12, 2012 - 6:15 PM

View Postfatkitty, on Dec 12, 2012 - 5:25 PM, said:

I'd just like to point out to the NCWEST folks that some (i'm guessing most) people prefer a subbed version of game/anime/films etc
i being a korean born player, prefer the korean voiceover.
we all know how "westerners" butcher asian names in general (i.e Hyundai is pronounced as Hundai)
i hope that they would either leave korean voiceover alone, or allow a option to choose audio language.

a quick poll should show the general preference towards subbed version of anime/kung fu films/games etc.
with so many of the in-game dialogue having npc names (thats pretty difficult to pronounce by western standards), save the budget on voiceover and invest that budget into a more quality translation...

i dont know how "western" voiceover will pronounce i.e chun ryung gang si / eun gwang il / dok cho guh sa etc etc
please keep the "signature eastern mmorpg" theme intact via "subbing" or at least give the choice of voiceover language choice on launch (North america).

thank you!
Fatkitty

Heard the western-voice overs. Pretty much bland and lacks the depth of expression as the original voice-overs had. Would certainly prefer a toggle option of having the dub or originals with sub.

If movies can have more diversity options in their audio, why not games too? If there's no official implement then i'll mod the voices in.

User is offline   Vile Samael 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Character:Ryang Huan-Yong
  • Class:Summoner

Posted Dec 12, 2012 - 6:37 PM

View PostLoliLover, on Dec 12, 2012 - 6:15 PM, said:

Heard the western-voice overs. Pretty much bland and lacks the depth of expression as the original voice-overs had. Would certainly prefer a toggle option of having the dub or originals with sub.

If movies can have more diversity options in their audio, why not games too? If there's no official implement then i'll mod the voices in.

Iunno, apparently the korean voices are really cheesy. People who don't speak the language don't know the difference, though.

This post has been edited by Vile Samael: Dec 12, 2012 - 6:37 PM

Posted Image

User is offline   Nekuraba 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationBehind you~
  • Character:Morginna
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Dec 13, 2012 - 2:10 AM

sometimes the sub isnt always "great" like Vile said but I would prefer the sub anyway, would feel it more if its in its natural language~

User is offline   Famfrit 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationLimsa at night <3
  • Character:Eifa Carey
  • Race:Kun
  • Class:Force Master

Posted Dec 13, 2012 - 2:58 AM

The original korean dub does sound just sooo much better than the english one...
Posted Image

User is offline   Lyndis 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationTexas
  • Race:Undecided
  • Guild:Slayers' Tower

Posted Dec 13, 2012 - 7:23 PM

Dont we already have a thread discussing this?

User is offline   Aelle 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • Character:Aelle
  • Race:Kun

Posted Dec 13, 2012 - 7:29 PM

View PostLoliLover, on Dec 12, 2012 - 6:15 PM, said:

I don't know if we can be sure if that's the final dub. Sometimes companies use 'placeholder' voice actors for things like trailers and early demos, so they could very well change. I have to say though, at least they didn't mangle the Korean names too badly.

As much as I would prefer a subbed version of the game, though...I just don't see it being possible in Blade and Soul. Considering the sheer number of cutscenes, having two separate audio tracks would increase the file size quite a bit (something most companies try their best to avoid), also, how would they subtitle NPC voices? Sometimes they speak to you when you walk near them, and it would just be damn weird to have Korean cutscenes but English NPCs.

This post has been edited by Aelle: Dec 13, 2012 - 7:29 PM

User is offline   Zero_ 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • Class:Blade Master

Posted Jan 04, 2013 - 9:55 AM

id like the game content(item names, interface , skill names etc.) to become english but the story videoclips should be subbed and the npc creatures and areas to be kept
Posted Image

User is offline   Zenek 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master

Posted Jan 04, 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostZero_, on Jan 04, 2013 - 9:55 AM, said:

id like the game content(item names, interface , skill names etc.) to become english but the story videoclips should be subbed and the npc creatures and areas to be kept

+1

Cutscenes should stay korean voices, just with eng subtitles. All voices should stay korean.

I would like this not only because of eng voices are bad, always. But because this game as no one other should keep eastern syle. And Korean voices would greatly improve this experience.

User is offline   foxlight713 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location电信二区 ; 斩天诀
  • Character:Foxtrot
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master
  • Guild:B&S Dojo

Posted Jan 08, 2013 - 3:26 AM

View PostZenek, on Jan 04, 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

I would like this not only because of eng voices are bad, always.

I highly disagree with this blanket statement, also let me find a post said in another Eng dub. thread...

Here it is

View PostRonule, on Dec 10, 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

View PostBlissed, on Dec 10, 2012 - 5:41 PM, said:

To be honest, hearing English dubs in a game influenced heavily by the eastern culture, just seems off. GW2 English dubs can work fine, since it doesn't have the eastern culture heavily mixed in. But games like Blade and Soul, has the ancient Eastern look, which would perfectly go with, Japanese, Chinese or any eastern Asian dubs. But I could be wrong, and the English dubs can turn out to be good as well.

I will say this is the truly best case against having it dubbed in English. However, to finally point to the elephant in the room, as it were, we have to remind ourselves that this is a product. That means it must be made for the sake of making as much money as it can. As an MMO being brought to the West (for the rest of this point I shall be referencing America exclusively) it has to try to cater to as many Americans as possible. This may lead to some design choices that may make those who have been interested and following this game from the beginning roll their eyes or even become upset. It must be remembered that they want to make money and in order to get the most players they need to make sure people will not be turned off by issues such as the language choice.

I won't speak for anybody else, but from my own experience, most people I know hate playing a game or watching anything with a foreign language where they have to read subtitles. Most of my friends can't stand the Japanese voices they hear when I watch subbed anime, and I'm quite sure the same would be felt if I watched House of Flying Daggers in Mandarin or Brotherhood of the Wolf in French. It is just how people are. It is easier to pay attention to the important things when you don't have to spend time reading just to know what is being said.

Also this gives jobs to Americans. If they do an in-house language track, this would mean they would have to hire directors, writers, translators, engineers and of course the actors themselves as well as any miscellaneous jobs that I am sadly ignorant of and was not able to list. Long story short, having jobs for Americans is a good thing.

Bolded the last few lines to raise a point that translating and dubbing gives employment to the people of the respective countries that the game is being translated into, and this one

View PostRyochan, on Jan 06, 2013 - 5:12 AM, said:

View PostZenek, on Jan 06, 2013 - 4:43 AM, said:

Something what I can not understand is = "WHY?"

That is obvious eng dub is always far worse than orginal. Community of every game always want oryginal voices, at last as optional. So why publishers always doing something against will of community?

And B&S is special - because of Asian theme of this game. All dialougs and voices in oryginal language would only improve this unique experience. Text is enought to understand everything.

That also encouraging to starting explore game files - because modders will bring back original voices to eng version.

Why? Because having the voices from another region in the game costs a lot of money due to licensing. That's one big reason why each country has their own language tranlated for different things.

Of course english dub isn't always far worse than an original. Just look at Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. They all sound better than the original.

All in all, it is INDEED a difficult task, to duplicate even 90%+ of the feel of an original.

Those two quotes essentially say what I could have said in a different way. Though in the end it is entirely up to personal preference and opinion on what could be considered a good and bad Dub.

This post has been edited by foxlight713: Jan 08, 2013 - 3:27 AM

"Every one has a story, weather it is short or long not all of them are told."
http://fox-light713.deviantart.com/
Posted Image
*Warning spelling errors may and will happen in my posts*

User is offline   Biyoka 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationChina Server
  • Character:Biyoka
  • Guild:Anonymous

Posted Mar 25, 2013 - 5:34 PM

It should just be subbed since the game is Asian themed. And besides, wouldnt they just prolong the release in order to re-do Every Single NPC's voice?
Posted Image

User is offline   Boseiai 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • LocationLondon

Posted Mar 28, 2013 - 9:59 AM

The reason that they're doing it, is because in the west, our language is English. You have to look at this more of a business perspective, rather than a personal preference. There are those who WILL prefere english voice overs, to those who do not. In the end, what's the main language of the west? English. And of course it'll prolong the game, same with translation. As long as it gets their money into their pockets. It has to appeal to those english speakers out there.
Posted Image

User is offline   LoliStelleia 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Location电信一区 / 铁傀王
  • Character:Stelleia

Posted Apr 06, 2013 - 2:20 AM

I agree with the poster... id rather the game stay in Korean voice :C

American voices RUIN EVERYTHING.... well sometimes.. not all the time.. but sometimes xD;;;..

I think Blade & Soul would be better in its "original" voices C: id rather read the subtitles... i dunno i think games with that type of feel are better in my opinion

I mean look how great the game Okami was... and i have no idea what kind of jibberish that was.. still my fav game tho *3*

~Stella❤

Posted Image
❤ Artist ~ Gamer Girl ~ Loli ~ Free Thinker ~ Out-going and Random ❤

❤ Im A Little Loli...Short and cute.. Here Is My Ears and Here is my Fluffy Tail *3* ❤

!! Now playing CN B&S !!
Region - 电信一区
Server - 铁傀王

User is offline   NekoPanda 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip

Posted May 27, 2013 - 6:45 PM

English subs with korean voice. That is all I have to say.

User is offline   Kitsuiko 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip

Posted May 31, 2013 - 3:16 AM

Whichever one has the best voice acting; I think that's the clear answer.

I've heard bad Western dubbing, and, yeah it sucks... but Just because it's in its original language doesn't mean it sounds good or is something you want to hear over and over. I, personally, turn into a murderous stab-ninja with too much saturation from the moe-girl voice regardless of what language it's in.

More important to me is that in the Korean version you're able to pick what the voice of your character sounds like. If they keep that with an English dub, I'm perfectly fine with either. If that sort of localization effort is too much and they'd drop it - then I'd rather read and have subtitles.

User is offline   幻夢零 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip

Posted Aug 02, 2013 - 4:41 PM

Sub = less time less money faster contents generally better voice acting.

Plus for such a eastern game dubbing is silly.

User is offline   NEONLICHT 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • View gallery
  • LocationGermany
  • Character:NEONLICHT
  • Guild:SW

Posted Aug 10, 2013 - 12:16 PM

View Post幻夢零, on Aug 02, 2013 - 4:41 PM, said:

Sub = less time less money faster contents generally better voice acting.

Plus for such a eastern game dubbing is silly.

YESSS make it so !

and what i will never, never, understand-- why they don't develop with engish text from start ? i remember in the
fist close bns beta, was a FAN, he have translate 80% of all bns text to english. that was nice, because
many player have see all the gui and skill infos and after that they have start to play the KR Version too.

Now they say : We have to Westernisation this Game ? ^^ with Voice over and what not...
But the True Story behind "for me" is : NC like to milk Aion 4 and GW2 just more, before we
see BnS in NA/EU - but other Games are on the Way too - Zero from PWE or EQN.
Well NC - bring BnS on the NA/EU Table before its to late - Hey our Game is older now or and Fans will not wait forever :P
Region 14 : 电信洪福区 - 华山论剑KRISTALL - Assassin L40Yzumi - BM L45

User is offline   Aari 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Character:Aari

Posted Aug 10, 2013 - 1:29 PM

View PostNatsuki, on Aug 10, 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

YESSS make it so !

and what i will never, never, understand-- why they don't develop with engish text from start ? i remember in the
fist close bns beta, was a FAN, he have translate 80% of all bns text to english. that was nice, because
many player have see all the gui and skill infos and after that they have start to play the KR Version too.

Now they say : We have to Westernisation this Game ? ^^ with Voice over and what not...
But the True Story behind "for me" is : NC like to milk Aion 4 and GW2 just more, before we
see BnS in NA/EU - but other Games are on the Way too - Zero from PWE or EQN.
Well NC - bring BnS on the NA/EU Table before its to late - Hey our Game is older now or and Fans will not wait forever :P

Nc cares about Wildstar right now, since that is going to be released this year/early next year I don't expect any new infos until after that.
Posted Image
Click the Picute for a Livestream with B&S and Tera in 1080p
Youtube Channel with BnS Gameplay & Guides

User is offline   Tsukotaku 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationItaly, Monza Brianza
  • Character:Tsukotaku

Posted Aug 11, 2013 - 7:57 AM

Simply, because NC Soft Korea doesn't care that much about the situation of the american division. For them it's just a "non guaranteed" 28% of the annual profit and income. And most of the games published by NC Soft Corp. are developed internally within the korean offices, and primarily for the asian market.

This post has been edited by Tsukotaku: Aug 11, 2013 - 7:58 AM

TW: Micromachine (萬夫莫敵), Force Master / CN: Tsukotakun (Deleted), Blade Master lvl.45 / KR: Mako Mako (After the merges who knows), Blade Master lvl.50 / Mia Gloria (Same thing), Summoner lvl.36 / Windsense (Deleted), Lyn Blade Master lvl.45 / A certain server: Tsukotaku (Not allowed to write it), Kung-Fu Master lvl.45 / Micromachine (Same thing), Summoner lvl.45 / Brezel (Same thing), Force Master lvl.30 / Boken (Same thing), Lyn Blade Master lvl.10

Posted Image

User is offline   NEONLICHT 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • View gallery
  • LocationGermany
  • Character:NEONLICHT
  • Guild:SW

Posted Aug 11, 2013 - 1:27 PM

@ Aari oh yes right Wildstar ,yes ^^

View PostTsukotaku, on Aug 11, 2013 - 7:57 AM, said:

Simply, because NC Soft Korea doesn't care that much about the situation of the american division. For them it's just a "non guaranteed" 28% of the annual profit and income. And most of the games published by NC Soft Corp. are developed internally within the korean offices, and primarily for the asian market.

thx, sorry idk how this NC bussiness works ^^ 20-28% sounds not too shabby - ok i see "non guaranteed" annual profit and income.

but my view "as gamer" is : they wait to long - or KR have to get rid of this KSSN thingy, i mean is a NA/EU
passport ID not good enough for a KR Game ? i'am sure NC-Soft KR or other KR Game Teams are 100% able to
create Games with optional english text too. But they don^t do it - sometimes WWW Bussiness is just to fare away,
to fare away for my little understanding. They block some 1000 Game Fan's in the first place and they don't see it ? ^^
I would make asap a BnS KR NC Acc .. but not in a backstreet place, like you can get a KSSN Acc today.
Looks like KR Games don't need extra Fan cash in the fist place... idk but i don't play against the law and like
to respect the rules. Now i hope, i can create a official CN BnS Acc, just with my ID and must not have fear for a acc bann.

thx for read .. is just what i have in my mind when i like to try a KR Game... is allways the same s... :)
Region 14 : 电信洪福区 - 华山论剑KRISTALL - Assassin L40Yzumi - BM L45

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users