• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationLimsa at night <3
  • Character:Eifa Carey
  • Race:Kun
  • Class:Force Master

Posted Dec 08, 2012 - 11:14 AM

...Poetry :sob:

But yeah i mean education does open up doors and stuff, but you hear about people with degrees and they're working in McDonald's, but that's just regurgitating what other people have said.

I mean, look at TB, doesn't he have a degree in something and he worked in Game for a few years and now he's making videos, same goes for Jesse Cox.

This post has been edited by Quasar97: Dec 08, 2012 - 11:15 AM

Posted Image

User is offline   Kitsune 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationRequiem Forest
  • Character:Kitsune
  • Race:Lyn
  • Class:Blade Master

Posted Dec 08, 2012 - 11:30 AM

That's a conclusion I came to, myself, actually. I think the success of people comes from a strong desire and a bit of luck (being in the right place in the right time, etc.). Unfortunately, there's way too many people in the world and we all can't be "successful".
Posted Image

User is offline   Kirito Kazuto 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationAincrad I guess...
  • Character:Kiirito
  • Race:Jin

Posted Dec 08, 2012 - 1:10 PM

Yeah that video is inspirational alright...and it also made me think when I first watched it; I've always had the same mentality; "if you struggle for something, it will most likely end with success". However I agree with Kitsune, we can't all be successful, only those of us who; live, eat and sleep for success will reach that status.

Another thing is; how do you measure success...I mean if it's money; yeah, then there are a lot of successful people. If you think success is a healthy life, great family, steady economy and just overall good friends, then I guess some average people, might even be more successful then Justin Bieber.

This post has been edited by Kirito Kazuto: Dec 08, 2012 - 1:11 PM

Posted Image
"If you can't dream big, then you'll remain small" - Me

User is offline   Set 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationNew York

Posted Dec 08, 2012 - 2:40 PM

That's a very nice video. I've always told people to simply follow what would make them happiest, for me there really isn't an occupation that I desire. For me the only major desire would be becoming a father. As long as I have a decent wage, thus far I see nothing but happiness in my near future.
Posted Image

Path of Exile Witch Passive skills
http://tinyurl.com/apmm4rt

User is offline   Nekuraba 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationBehind you~
  • Character:Morginna
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Dec 08, 2012 - 3:31 PM

That was beautiful...

I agree 100% just because you graduated from collage doesnt mean you will get the occupation you want in the future. You could very well be working at target for the next 10 years of your life for all you know, you never know what the future holds. Its all about motivation, if you have the motivation to make your dream come true, you wont give up until it comes true.

Edit: I also love how he never said "drop out of school, schools usless." yet people on YT are down voting the video talking as if he said that~

This post has been edited by Nekuraba: Dec 08, 2012 - 4:44 PM

User is offline   Kitsune 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationRequiem Forest
  • Character:Kitsune
  • Race:Lyn

Posted Dec 08, 2012 - 4:12 PM

View PostKirito Kazuto, on Dec 08, 2012 - 1:10 PM, said:

Another thing is; how do you measure success...I mean if it's money; yeah, then there are a lot of successful people. If you think success is a healthy life, great family, steady economy and just overall good friends, then I guess some average people, might even be more successful then Justin Bieber.

Everyone around me seems to think that success comes from making money and becoming famous; media tends to over-glorify success in terms of that (among other things). To me, true success comes from finding happiness in every day life. Is happiness not what we're all after, anyway? If someone can find something as simple as the thriving of nature or the many different arts & cultures exhilarating, then those common desires for wealth, power, fame, etc. are probably not going to matter much. It's those people who are truly successful in my book.
Posted Image

User is offline   Napsys 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationHolland
  • Character:Napsys
  • Class:Undecided
  • Guild:Nocturne: Rosacea Family

Posted Dec 08, 2012 - 4:23 PM

This was so on point.

I have studied so many subjects (especially in middle school) that I can barely remember, yeah i know some basics and vague facts, but i couldn't lay down the answer to a difficult math formula, even though that was the subject i excelled most in.

I feel like I waste so much time just handing in assignments and making tests which i forget all about a week after.

I want to do something big, but i haven't figured out anything yet, so I feel like I have to stick to my education.

really inspirational.
Posted Image

User is offline   Lyndis 

• Dojo Sensei
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationTexas
  • Race:Undecided
  • Guild:Slayers' Tower

Posted Dec 08, 2012 - 9:56 PM

Success is what you make of it yourself. Anyone ever remember the scene from the movie Cool Runnings?

"All you have to do is work hard enough, and if you want it bad enough, you'll get your palace."

User is offline   Kryscent 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Character:Kryscent
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master
  • Guild:Descendants

Posted Dec 08, 2012 - 11:14 PM

Education makes us a real person alive I guess, success and so on.
Posted Image
Please do PM me or post in my support thread here if you got any kinds of problem about China Blade and Soul / Translation

User is offline   Kogane 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Character:Kogane
  • Race:Gon
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Dec 09, 2012 - 3:16 AM

The problem with obtaining success is knowing what it is before you strive for it.

The best rule of thumb is to never settle for a definition defined by someone else...because if you do that you've already lost.

Success can only truly be gained by the one whom understands just what it is he strives for---and then is able to work diligently toward it.

Success is relative. Just like happiness.
Posted Image

User is offline   Exodus 

• Do you feel lucky, Punk?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationValhalla
  • Class:Destroyer
  • Guild:♣ Lotus - 山 Leader ♣

Posted Dec 09, 2012 - 9:17 AM

Something interesting Michio Kaku said:

Hidden Content

Posted Image
Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω

User is offline   Kogane 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Character:Kogane

Posted Dec 09, 2012 - 2:24 PM

View PostExodus, on Dec 09, 2012 - 9:17 AM, said:

Something interesting Michio Kaku said:

Hidden Content

And guess what?

It's not just science.

It's history, it's math, it's English, it's Social Studies, it's Economics, It's anything in the IT feild, and it's so much more that I haven't even named yet.

Our schools BORE people out of their desire to learn.

They quite literally BORE THE SNOT out of kids in school and make them hate learning.

Thing about it though---this isn't always the teacher's fault. I've met some brilliant teachers that looked at the school's curriculum and heaved a heavy sigh.
Posted Image

User is offline   Surgam 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationReality

Posted Dec 09, 2012 - 3:23 PM

Sometimes I really believe most schools have just become business institutions instead of institutions meant for learning. Especially colleges, where you can spend 4+ years memorizing things from textbooks and not learn a single thing, all the while still paying for tuition and more books you will only be reading a day or two before midterms and finals.

Looking back, we all would have spent about a quarter of our lives in school, but how much do we actually learn in that span of time? Let's face it, most if not all of us have cheated on an exam somewhere down the line because you either felt the test material was useless or not worth your time to memorize. The best memories I've had of being in classes were the open discussions among teacher and students. Unfortunately, more often than not, classes are boring because you are forced to sit and listen to someone talk for an hour or more.

User is online   Ghastly 

• Large Hammer Master - 槌
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationIn a swamp!
  • Class:Destroyer

Posted Dec 12, 2012 - 2:09 AM

This is such an amazing topic of discussion that I wish it would reach millions of people and change schools all throughout the world.

In the past I've talked to friends about how I would like to one day make/own my own schools. Schools where teachers teach and test in a way where students learn and are rewarded instead of generic systems designed to compare scores and fail people.

Everything these days is crammed into books to make money. It's incredible how it's all set up so that everything is based on memorization and no actual practice (very little and badly conducted).

We live in good yet very sad times.
Posted ImageRemember to read our Forum Rules before posting!
Have a Blade & Soul related question? Check our FAQ before creating a topic/post.
Found a topic/post that violates our Forum Rules? Use the Report button and we'll deal with it!

User is offline   BrandX 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Dec 21, 2012 - 2:26 PM

There's nothing wrong with failing people. People shouldn't just be passed because they tried their hardest.

Reminds me of a story. My mom (no collage education) worked for a company. She was one of the most valued employees of the company. She walked in on one of the owners/bosses going through job applications, and he was just glancing at the applications and throwing them away. So she asked him what he was doing, as he wasn't even reading them. He said, he was looking to see if they went to collage, and if not, he was just throwing them out. To which she replied, so you wouldn't want me working for you, to which he said of course not, they couldn't have gotten as far as they have without her, to which she said, but I didn't go to collage.

I have another friend I work with, who dropped out of collage when he realized he was going into a field that was overflooded with people looking to get into it. And really, that's part of the problem with education. It's a funnel. You have a thousand people paying for educations in fields where there are only a hundred openings (numbers are of course made up in this example, but the point stands). Same thing happened with my uncle. Went to collage, got his computer science degree, and in over twenty years, he's never been able to use it, because the job market was filled with people with the same degree. Needless to say, he loves computers, and hasn't been happy with being an electrican all these years (and he was making good money at it).

So you spend thousands of dollars for an education, going into massive debt, for a long shot at getting anywhere in your field. To make matters worse, all those jobs out there, only 20% put out ads, while the other 80% hire friends/family, making it very much, it's not what you know, but who you know.

My brother graduated collage this year with a degree from a university. He's been unemployeed ever sense, with only a couple of promising job pop up that didn't happen. Now he's miserable and because of that education isn't willing to "downgrade" himself to applying at Mickey Ds, because while he needs the money, he believes he shouldn't have to work for minimum wage or fastfood.

Basically, higher education is a gamble, that doesn't even help improve your odds. I can't even count on all my fingers and toes the people I work with who have higher educations and yet we work with people who have dropped out of HS and make the same amount.

This is why I never finished my higher education. :/ Not because I didn't want to, I really did, I just wasn't willing to go into massive debt for it. I've seen what massive debt does to people. I worked, went to school, but when worked stopped, I wasn't willing to take out massive student loans that would leave me in debt and struggling to get out of debt for years and years.

User is offline   Kryscent 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Character:Kryscent
  • Guild:Descendants

Posted Dec 21, 2012 - 9:56 PM

View PostBrandX, on Dec 21, 2012 - 2:26 PM, said:

There's nothing wrong with failing people. People shouldn't just be passed because they tried their hardest.

Reminds me of a story. My mom (no collage education) worked for a company. She was one of the most valued employees of the company. She walked in on one of the owners/bosses going through job applications, and he was just glancing at the applications and throwing them away. So she asked him what he was doing, as he wasn't even reading them. He said, he was looking to see if they went to collage, and if not, he was just throwing them out. To which she replied, so you wouldn't want me working for you, to which he said of course not, they couldn't have gotten as far as they have without her, to which she said, but I didn't go to collage.

I have another friend I work with, who dropped out of collage when he realized he was going into a field that was overflooded with people looking to get into it. And really, that's part of the problem with education. It's a funnel. You have a thousand people paying for educations in fields where there are only a hundred openings (numbers are of course made up in this example, but the point stands). Same thing happened with my uncle. Went to collage, got his computer science degree, and in over twenty years, he's never been able to use it, because the job market was filled with people with the same degree. Needless to say, he loves computers, and hasn't been happy with being an electrican all these years (and he was making good money at it).

So you spend thousands of dollars for an education, going into massive debt, for a long shot at getting anywhere in your field. To make matters worse, all those jobs out there, only 20% put out ads, while the other 80% hire friends/family, making it very much, it's not what you know, but who you know.

My brother graduated collage this year with a degree from a university. He's been unemployeed ever sense, with only a couple of promising job pop up that didn't happen. Now he's miserable and because of that education isn't willing to "downgrade" himself to applying at Mickey Ds, because while he needs the money, he believes he shouldn't have to work for minimum wage or fastfood.

Basically, higher education is a gamble, that doesn't even help improve your odds. I can't even count on all my fingers and toes the people I work with who have higher educations and yet we work with people who have dropped out of HS and make the same amount.

This is why I never finished my higher education. :/ Not because I didn't want to, I really did, I just wasn't willing to go into massive debt for it. I've seen what massive debt does to people. I worked, went to school, but when worked stopped, I wasn't willing to take out massive student loans that would leave me in debt and struggling to get out of debt for years and years.

I love how you wrote your long essay, I agree on most part I must say, it's true, a degree or a cert doesn't mean that you would have a bright future, everything depends on yourself, not the cert or degree or whatever.
Posted Image
Please do PM me or post in my support thread here if you got any kinds of problem about China Blade and Soul / Translation

User is offline   Surgam 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationReality

Posted Dec 21, 2012 - 10:01 PM

@BrandX:

That's just it. Higher education shouldn't be a gamble. You should be learning something you can definitely use, but the current system is flawed. On that end, hate to be the one to point this out but..."Collage" is a compositional art form. The word you're looking for is "College".

User is offline   BrandX 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Dec 22, 2012 - 1:36 AM

View PostKryscent, on Dec 21, 2012 - 9:56 PM, said:

I love how you wrote your long essay, I agree on most part I must say, it's true, a degree or a cert doesn't mean that you would have a bright future, everything depends on yourself, not the cert or degree or whatever.

I love discussions. ^_^

You're right, some of it also depends on you. Some of it also depends on blind luck.

Not to mention, you could be trying for something that you find out you just don't love to do like you thought you would. Which, with the price of college, just makes things harder. All that money spent, then hating everything you do.

View PostSurgam, on Dec 21, 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

@BrandX:

That's just it. Higher education shouldn't be a gamble. You should be learning something you can definitely use, but the current system is flawed. On that end, hate to be the one to point this out but..."Collage" is a compositional art form. The word you're looking for is "College".

Always messing that up. :p

User is offline   Surgam 

• Dojo Novice
  • Pip
  • LocationReality

Posted Dec 22, 2012 - 2:02 PM

View PostBrandX, on Dec 22, 2012 - 1:36 AM, said:

Always messing that up. :p

Or...you were subconsciously using the misspelling to make subtle points on how the current educational infrastructure has failed us. Yes, well done.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users