• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Character:Bohvey
  • Race:Undecided
  • Class:Undecided

Posted Dec 01, 2012 - 1:27 AM

So my "gaming" machine is an Alienware M14x with the following specs:
Intel i7-2670QM 2.40Ghz (8CPUs) with boost to 3.49GHz, usually runs around 3.49GHz at 69 degrees Celcius
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GT 555M 3GB DDR3 driver 310.64
750GB, 7200 RPM Sata Drive
I run all of this on at 1920x1080 on a 24" external monitor.

I've been playing GW2 and was a bit miffed that my FPS was only about 27-35 on medium settings when I'm just in PvE standing still in the environment. When I drop it to "Best Performance" it jumps to 99 FPS. The game seems to be really hit and miss with people. Some people are getting 50+ FPS on the highest settings with similar machines and others are lucky to get 10.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

User is offline   Vile Samael 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Character:Ryang Huan-Yong
  • Race:Lyn
  • Class:Summoner

Posted Dec 01, 2012 - 2:24 AM

My friend had similar problems. His FPS was god-awful and mine was pretty great even though his machine is way better. Unfortunately he didn't find out what was causing it, but our best guess was that it's just poorly optimized for some systems.
Posted Image

User is offline   Bohvey 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip

Posted Dec 01, 2012 - 1:35 PM

View PostVile Samael, on Dec 01, 2012 - 2:24 AM, said:

My friend had similar problems. His FPS was god-awful and mine was pretty great even though his machine is way better. Unfortunately he didn't find out what was causing it, but our best guess was that it's just poorly optimized for some systems.

Which video card are you using and with which driver? I'm currently going to start trying different drivers and hope that one of the Nvidia drivers just happens to be more optimized for GW2.

Thanks,

User is offline   Tashigi 

• Optimized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Dec 01, 2012 - 11:47 PM

I think it has more to do with your GPU than anything. It's a mobility GPU (Laptop).
What kind of FPS did you get in TERA?
Keep in mind that there is more particles and little things/objects/models in GW2 and that if you're using heavy shaders/shadows on top of that, it can be brutal on your GPU.

This is what settings I usually have on.
My GPU is a GTX 460 (1 GB; not a mobility GPU).

Posted Image

Keep in mind this is out in the open. I usually have 60 FPS in those areas (Mostly due to VSYNC; it's usually higher if I take VSYNC off).
In crowded places, it can drop to anything between 20-40 FPS.
Here's a video too.

Seemingly empty area.

Slightly crowded.

I think... you might need to lower some settings, is all.
But I am curious as to how your setup handled TERA as well.

Also, keep in mind the resolution as well.
You're at full 1920x1080.
I'm at 1680x1050 (Not far behind, but y'know).

User is offline   Fatal 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Race:Gon
  • Class:Destroyer

Posted Dec 01, 2012 - 11:53 PM

Those results look fine considering your gpu, The 555m is about a third of the power of a desktop 640, not exactly a solid performer. Medium would probably be great at 1366x768 on the laptop screen, 1920x1080 is pushing it.

User is offline   Bohvey 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip

Posted Dec 03, 2012 - 11:10 AM

Great feedback, thank you.

To answer 回し蹴り ★ I was playing Tera at 50+ FPS on medium/high settings. My settings in GW2 are all on medium with the shadows, shaders, and post processing on low. In Lions Arch with driver 306.23 I get a steady 27-36 FPS. That seems pretty decent. I might try turning back my resolution some too, that's an easy fix. I'm not trying to run the game on Max settings or anything, I do realize my laptop's limits and to be honest I'm quite happy with how GW2 looks on medium settings graphically speaking. I'm more just shooting for a steady 40+ FPS on medium settings right now.

Fatal,
Ya, the "gaming" laptop idea is a bit of a contradiction, I had to learn the hard way. I'm actually going to be building a new machine this January. Won a nice Thermaltake Modular Power Supply in my last League of Legends tourney and my wife is buying my case for Christmas. I took some pieces from your PC's for Blade and Soul thread and used that same site to start piecing together a new desktop.

EDIT*******
Wanted to give a little update. I changed my resolution to 1600x900 put the UI on small and am now running 35-50 FPS in Lion's Arch. I get those drops to 35 from time to time in Lion's Arch but it's not noticeable compared to the drops to 12 I was getting before. Everywhere else seems to be maintaining over 40 FPS.

I was even able to turn up the shadows to medium and some of the settings to high. I forgot to take a screen shot. I honestly can't tell a difference with the resolution change except that the text in the Trading Post looks really awful. It's still readable.

Thanks for your help, I completely spaced on the fact that I'm using a laptop GPU to push a 1080 display.

This post has been edited by Bohvey: Dec 03, 2012 - 11:10 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users