Blade & Soul Dojo: Can someone help me get my old PC stuff into my new one? - Blade & Soul Dojo

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can someone help me get my old PC stuff into my new one?

User is offline   Anya 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationEPT
  • Race:Kun
  • Class:Blade Master
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Nov 28, 2012 - 2:23 PM

Hey there everyone! Well, my old PC broke down and I can no longer use it, but I want my old things (music, pictures, notes) transferred to my new PC. I'm not sure how to do so, I've read that you can just transfer the old hard drive to the new one but I'm not sure how to do that either, and all my stuff was on the desktop, so I'm also not sure if that will transfer everything. I'm not too familiar with PC things so please, any help is much appreciated! Thanks guys~
Posted Image
Spoiler

User is offline   Fatal 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Race:Gon
  • Class:Destroyer

Posted Nov 28, 2012 - 2:50 PM

Watch this video
https://www.youtube....h?v=Ue-FvmAVYKM

Everything on your desktop on the old drive can be found at "Users\<user>\Desktop" on whatever the old drive comes up as on the new PC (most likely E:)

Everything that isn't one the desktop will be in the same folders and you can just copy everything over.

Then, after you have everything you want, you should wipe the old drive and continue to use it as storage in the new PC or whatever you decide.

User is offline   Anya 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationEPT

Posted Nov 28, 2012 - 3:47 PM

I watched the video but my old PC has a "parallel" HD and the new one is all "sata"?
Posted Image
Spoiler

User is offline   Fatal 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted Nov 28, 2012 - 3:58 PM

In that case you'll probably need to get an external enclosure that supports PATA, the old drive. then connect to your new pc through usb to move the files over.

Something like this

User is offline   Lithia 

• ~ Black Fractal Butterfly ~
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • Character:Lithia
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master
  • Guild:Nocturne [Viscaria]

Posted Nov 28, 2012 - 4:09 PM

PATA, nowadays, is pretty old-skool (reckon the PC you have it somewhat....dated?)
If it were me, I would probably go for an IDE-2-SATA connector (I assume those exist)
IDE being the connector used for your PATA-drive and SATA being...well..the SATA-drive connection.

This way I would hook up my drive to my new PC, asusming there will not be a conflict with two drives having a boot-OS on them
(never been in that situation before, I suppose through your BIOS you can select which drive to boot windows from)
-then select your new drive and as windows has loaded in, I EXPECT to see the old drive as simply an added "internal HDD"
(again, I've never tried this, so the drive may not show up)

If the drive does show up, simply copy all you want/need to your new drive and remove the drive afterward (or leave it there for your convenience,
but do note that PATA is slower than SATA (how much you notice the difference, I cannot tell you. Been ages since I've even SEEN a PATA-drive)

Alternatively, you can try and hook up your old drive through an IDE-2-SATA, boot windows from there and then copy everything to an External HDD
(which you might have handy, or maybe a friend could help you out.....or use USB-sticks :3 )

Food for thought, take it as you see fit.

- Lith. ...PETA.

User is offline   Anya 

• Dojo Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationEPT

Posted Nov 28, 2012 - 4:39 PM

View PostFatal, on Nov 28, 2012 - 3:58 PM, said:

In that case you'll probably need to get an external enclosure that supports PATA, the old drive. then connect to your new pc through usb to move the files over.

Something like this

Alright thanks! Will I need to install any drives? Reason for asking is because since this new PC was built by someone else, they didn't get all the drives. Like I had to manually install the drives for my Samsung phone to connect my phone.

@Lith, I believe you read my post(s) wrong lol.
Posted Image
Spoiler

User is offline   Fatal 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted Nov 28, 2012 - 5:09 PM

It's highly unlikely that you'll have to install extra drivers.

User is offline   Lithia 

• ~ Black Fractal Butterfly ~
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • Character:Lithia
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master
  • Guild:Nocturne [Viscaria]

Posted Nov 29, 2012 - 5:45 PM

View PostAnya, on Nov 28, 2012 - 4:39 PM, said:

@Lith, I believe you read my post(s) wrong lol.

Did I? o.o
From what I understood is that you have a harddisk (your old one) that has "sensitive" data,
that you want on your new PC (which has a "clean" harddisk), but you're not quite sure how to go about it?

Perhaps I was a bit too techie :x (no offence)
I merely meant to suggest that you might be able to slot in your old harddisk into your new computer (should you be technical / brave enough to do so)
in which way you might be able to transfer your files from your old HDD to your new HDD.
(The IDE-2-SATA connector was mentioned, because most motherboards today don't have PATA connectors anymore (...or maybe they do,
speaking from my own exp. here :3 )

If this whole thing is misunderstood, then I apologize (and demand that you elaborate on your OP-story, so my low-IQ brain can compute .\/. [/angry fist-shake] )

- Lith. ...Miss.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users