• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationHolland
  • Character:Napsys
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Undecided
  • Guild:Nocturne: Rosacea Family

Posted Nov 26, 2012 - 11:07 AM

oke, so ive been told my laptop should switch videocards automatically when necessary, but somehow i can only play tera completely fpslagg free when i use lowest settings, whats up with that

when I put the ingame settings to : detect auto settings, it gives me almost the highest settings in the game but when i apply those i cant play laggfree, i tried setting it lower from there but still the gameplay was most enjoyable on lowest settings, but it makes the game ugly.

are my cards 'switching' properly or should i do something about my computersettings? i cant seem to find it

thanks
Posted Image

User is offline   Jayrune 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • LocationTexas
  • Race:Lyn
  • Class:Force Master
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Nov 26, 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by switching, does your laptop have 2 video cards but only uses one at a time? I've never heard of a setup like that before.

As for fpslag, need more info on the card(s) themselves and the other tech specs for the comp, it's possible that the autodetect is simply wrong.
Posted Image

User is offline   Napsys 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationHolland

Posted Nov 26, 2012 - 11:47 AM

its a laptop and yeah i have 2 cards

processor: i7 3610QM 2,30GHZ

ram: 16 GB

video cards : Intel® HD Graphics 4000
and a nvidia geforce GTX 670M 1.5GB

35GB free on my SSD
and 800 GB free on my normal memory.

the windows performance index is also based off of the intel card instead of the nvidia card so i wonder if im even using the nvidia card.
Posted Image

User is offline   Soultaker 

• 千ブレードダンシング
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Character:Kyoskae
  • Class:Blade Master
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Nov 26, 2012 - 11:56 AM

is it possible you can go into the bios and manually switch it?
Posted Image

Are you someone who loves treasure and close bonds then check out Thieves Den! Click the pretty picture for infos on us ;D

User is offline   Fatal 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Race:Gon
  • Class:Destroyer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 - 12:49 PM

You should be able to disable auto switching within the Optimus control panel. Then just switch back and forth when you need more battery life. Also, update your drivers.

User is offline   Napsys 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationHolland

Posted Nov 26, 2012 - 3:28 PM

i got it, lol, i was checking in the same menu all the time but it took me awhile to realise the sidemenu, thanks for the help. game looks and plays nice now :)
Posted Image

User is offline   Itachi.Uchiha 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Character:Itachi.Uchiha
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master

Posted Nov 26, 2012 - 3:43 PM

I know all about your problem.

recently I think since the 500 series of geforce Nvidia has impelented a new version of optimus, which allows you to whatever program on the desired graphics card, because you have 2 of them.

One is the Intel HD Graphics 3000 If I'm not wrong which is not a powerfull graphics adapter, but saves a lot of power. Causing you to have a longer battery life, On the other hand you have the Nvidia Geforce GTX 670M.

Nvidia has a list of programs (mainly games) that uses the Nvidia card by default. But some programs/games might not be on that list, so you have to do it manually, by right clicking on the programm/game.
There you should have an option "Run with graphics adapter". Your two graphics cards will show up and you simply choose the one you want.

One will have "(default)" written in the end, which means the program will use that graphics card by default. If it's on the Nvidia card, that means it should run correctly, however, if it is stated on the Integrated Intel card it means it uses that one by default.

To change that default value, go to nvidia control panel.
There you have on the left hand "manage 3D settings".

Under Program settings, you simply choose the program/game you want. If it's not in the list you have to add it.
Then you choose "High performance Nvidia processor" on the second step. And voila. Don't change the settings below, it's better to keep them default (aplication controlled) then you can choose the settings yourself for each game.

Though Dont forget that Tera is not just like any other game. MMO's are a bit tricky at this point, because you start the game with the launcher (in this case TERA-Launcher.exe). But you have to change the graphics settings for the actual game binary (in this case TERA.exe). If it is on nvidia, just set every launcher to run with the Nvidia card just to be sure.

Under Global settings you have 3 options. Autoselect if you want it to stay like this, where every program runs by a different graphics setting. Or you choose simply one of the 2 graphic adapters, and your pc will always use that card on any program no matter what.

Hope this helped

EDIT: Crap, since writing this took so long, the problem apparently is solved already, wrote it for nothing Posted Image*sigh*

This post has been edited by Itachi.Uchiha: Nov 26, 2012 - 3:45 PM

Posted Image

真実を見せてやる
shinjitsu o misete yaru

ROSACEA FAMILY
- "Shall I fight for you?"

User is offline   Napsys 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationHolland

Posted Nov 26, 2012 - 4:15 PM

I appreciate your help eitherway, i just switched the cards and then started to play tera, and i will turn it back to the intel one after im done, but looks like there are better ways to do it reading your post,

ill check it out.

<3
Posted Image

User is offline   Blissed 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • LocationNYC
  • Character:KR:Feisty CN:Gandalf

Posted Dec 08, 2012 - 1:04 AM

Heh, thought SLi isn't supported by Optimus. Anyways can you tell me what laptop manufacture are you using? If it possible to disable Optimus just like Enduro can be disabled on some laptops, your laptop might support this option.

User is offline   Exodus 

• Do you feel lucky, Punk?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationValhalla
  • Class:Destroyer
  • Guild:♣ Lotus - 山 Leader ♣

Posted Dec 08, 2012 - 9:56 PM

View PostBlissed, on Dec 08, 2012 - 1:04 AM, said:

Heh, thought SLi isn't supported by Optimus.

The one is the graphic card and the other is the onboard graphic chip

He only switched from using the "dude i forgot what its called *facepalm*" graphic chip to his graphic card

Posted Image
Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω

User is offline   Blissed 

• Dojo Student
  • PipPip
  • LocationNYC
  • Character:KR:Feisty CN:Gandalf

Posted Dec 08, 2012 - 10:44 PM

View PostExodus, on Dec 08, 2012 - 9:56 PM, said:

The one is the graphic card and the other is the onboard graphic chip

He only switched from using the "dude i forgot what its called *facepalm*" graphic chip to his graphic card

Ahh thought he meant he had two 670s, well if that is the case, disabling Optimus completely may solve the problem. It sure did solve a lot of Enduro issues with the 7970m.

If you have a clevo, its completely muxed, so you won't be able to disable it. However on the devices like Alienware, they have a specific button designed to turn the program completely off.

This post has been edited by Blissed: Dec 08, 2012 - 10:48 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users