User is offline   Itachi.Uchiha 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Character:Itachi.Uchiha
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master

Posted Nov 25, 2012 - 12:12 PM

I once tried to run the game on my pc. tried for 2 or 3 hours. Got the game to work, but eventually couldn't play due error 100.

I recently tried again. To go beyond that point, but It started to annoy me. I bypassed one thing and came across another obstacle. I stopped trying eventually. Today I said meh, at least I'll try the beta version.

And am now here to give my first expression, mainly aimed for the persons who haven't tried/couldn't try out the game yet.

One of the most important aspects of the game and what blows your mind the first second. The graphics. They are superb. Simply very impressive. Just the view only is outstanding, but all the visual effects makes it so much better. Even the way a blademaster uses it's sword is just epic. The gameplay overall is very satisfying. Though I did have some issues. perhaps it has to do with the beta version, but not much of a big deal.

I'm not going to count all things I liked about the game. That will be a very long list, So I will focus on the small details that bothered me a little. Though like I said, I only played the beta, so these things might not be even present on the retail version.

While in combat, the way you lock to an opponent is a bit bad. When using skills I missed an awful lot of times. especially when you try to move while attacking, this can be a big issue later on the game. Perhaps it is only bound to blade master (since that's the only one I tested out today). But still, prefer this to be fixed.

While in combat, you cannot dash, which is for me a little problem. Because I'm a player who likes to move and dodge a lot while fighting. I don't know if there is a dodge skill in the game, but beside that the person runs rather slow. So dodging with that speed is difficult. otherwise the combat will be nothing but timing the block and mashing the attack buttons, which can become boring after weeks of playing.

Gliding in the air is also a bit slow, but that's not much of a big deal. especially if there is a way to do it faster when you earned new skills etc.

Beside from these things I haven't encountered a major problem with the game. Overall it's very good.

Now let's talk about the visual performance of the game.
First of all I play on a 14 inch laptop (1 and a half year old). So running new games on max settings is not an option, but still it can handle them good enough.
- I have an Intel Core i7-2630QM. 2.00GHz quad core CPU
- I have the Geforce GT555M with 3GB video ram (I know it's an awefull lot of memory for this graphics card, but I guess that's one way for dell to get more money out of you, though this version of the laptop was on sale so it would have been stupid to pay more for less memory, but There is no way I can fill that much video ram with a GT555M so yeah. Though It's useful when testing as a developer in OpenGL and DirectX development (student Computer Science))
- I also have 8GB ram

These are the in game settings:
- full screen max resolution 1600x900
- texture Level: MAX
- shadows: MEDIUM
- Visual effects: MAX
- Enhanced Shadows: MEDIUM
- Terrain Distance: HIGH
- Viewing Distance: HIGH
- Effects Draw Distance: HIGH
- Object Distance: HIGH
- V-sync: ON
- Volumetric Lighting: ON
- Bloom: ON
- Depth of Field: ON
- Realistic Depth Shadows: ON
- Motion Blur: ON
- Water Effects: ON
- Terrain Effects: ON
- Physix level: OFF

So as you can see, the settings were pretty high. The Frame rate changed from 30FPS to 50FPS depending on the effects and terrain. Though only tested in few areas. There might be areas where it can go higher, or even lower if there is a lot detail.

Though I'd like to mention that this is the beta version. There might be improvements in the retail version which can give you a higher frame rate. And when the game releases here I'm sure Nvidia will add improvements for this game in it's next update. Which also might give a slight boost.

This might give an idea how much fps you will get with this game.

If there are others who think different about my opinions, or have experienced different things, please feel free to add a comment.
Posted Image

真実を見せてやる
shinjitsu o misete yaru

ROSACEA FAMILY
- "Shall I fight for you?"

User is offline   Famfrit 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationLimsa at night <3
  • Character:Eifa Carey
  • Race:Kun
  • Class:Force Master

Posted Nov 25, 2012 - 12:27 PM

I agree about the slowness of movement in combat, I would be so happy if they added a dodge mechanic.
Posted Image

User is offline   Dobijasek 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Race:Undecided
  • Class:Assassin

Posted Nov 25, 2012 - 12:39 PM

While in combat, you cannot dash, which is for me a little problem. Because I'm a player who likes to move and dodge a lot while fighting. I don't know if there is a dodge skill in the game, but beside that the person runs rather slow. So dodging with that speed is difficult. otherwise the combat will be nothing but timing the block and mashing the attack buttons, which can become boring after weeks of playing.

B&S has a lot of parry/evade skill... I think I will not lie if I say that kind of skill are the main thing for survive. All classes for eg get SS (jump out) and EE/QQ skill (move to the opponent's back), additionally each class has their own skills (stealth mode, parry attacks, release grab etc).
Ofc. you played on priv server that got only few skills... so it is uncomapreable and CBT2 has completly other skills set to current.
Watch that and try cont how many times he avoid attacks, w/o that skills you die in few seconds...
However, you can still avoid damage by move but you must fill that how i work.
http://www.bladeands...__1#entry126521

This post has been edited by Dobijasek: Nov 25, 2012 - 12:43 PM

User is offline   Ghastly 

• Large Hammer Master - 槌
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationIn a swamp!
  • Race:Gon
  • Class:Destroyer
  • Guild:Thieves Den

Posted Nov 25, 2012 - 1:13 PM

Dodging/rolling to the side is overdone in a lot of games and it becomes the only mechanic you can use. In B&S they give you more than that as Dobijasek stated.
Posted ImageRemember to read our Forum Rules before posting!
Have a Blade & Soul related question? Check our FAQ before creating a topic/post.
Found a topic/post that violates our Forum Rules? Use the Report button and we'll deal with it!

User is offline   Itachi.Uchiha 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Character:Itachi.Uchiha
  • Race:Jin
  • Class:Kung-Fu Master

Posted Nov 25, 2012 - 1:20 PM

View PostDobijasek, on Nov 25, 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

B&S has a lot of parry/evade skill... I think I will not lie if I say that kind of skill are the main thing for survive. All classes for eg get SS (jump out) and EE/QQ skill (move to the opponent's back), additionally each class has their own skills (stealth mode, parry attacks, release grab etc).
Ofc. you played on priv server that got only few skills... so it is uncomapreable and CBT2 has completly other skills set to current.
Watch that and try cont how many times he avoid attacks, w/o that skills you die in few seconds...
However, you can still avoid damage by move but you must fill that how i work.
http://www.bladeands...__1#entry126521

Nice, there are indeed a few skills like that.
And yes. Since I only played the beta version and have a lot limitations it sure isn't comparable to the retail version. Thanks for your reply.
Though as I mentioned I only gave my impression from the beta.

So far the most attractive classes to me are the blademaster and kung-fu master. Though I haven't looked in the assassins class yet, because when watching a review of the classes the combos of the blademaster and kung-fu master were overwhelming. But if the assassin class is more focused on evasion instead of stealth, it sure will become my favorite class.

Though I guess I'll have to wait and see when the game releases over here.
Posted Image

真実を見せてやる
shinjitsu o misete yaru

ROSACEA FAMILY
- "Shall I fight for you?"

User is offline   Vile Samael 

• Dojo Prefect
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Character:Ryang Huan-Yong
  • Race:Lyn
  • Class:Summoner

Posted Nov 25, 2012 - 2:57 PM

View PostGhastly, on Nov 25, 2012 - 1:13 PM, said:

Dodging/rolling to the side is overdone in a lot of games and it becomes the only mechanic you can use. In B&S they give you more than that as Dobijasek stated.

IMO it'd be nice to have it in addition. I mean, it wouldn't be bad to have both, right? Especially early on when you don't have a lot/any of the evasive skills. I mean sure they have the RNG parry/dodge but I don't like relying on RNG all that much :x'''''' It's a personal preference, though, and it's not really game ruining either way for me.
Posted Image

User is offline   spencerBAXLEY 

• Dojo Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationGA, USA
  • Race:Lyn
  • Class:Force Master
  • Guild:Bladefall [BDF]

Posted Nov 25, 2012 - 6:56 PM

After playing GW2, I'm going to stick in the negative for a dodge mechanic. :P

Share this topic: