Blade & Soul Dojo: Community Voice: PvP - News - Blade & Soul Dojo

Jump to content

Poll: Community Voice: PvP (1120 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Blade & Soul's PvP system?

1. I love it! Here's why... (707 votes [63.12%])

Percentage of vote: 63.12%

2. I hate it! Here's why... (54 votes [4.82%])

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

3. I'm neutral. Here's why... (359 votes [32.05%])

Percentage of vote: 32.05%

How will you PvP in Blade & Soul?

1. I will wear my PvP Dobok proudly and fearlessly at all times, even if it will lead to my ultimate demise at times. (394 votes [35.18%])

Percentage of vote: 35.18%

2. I will be a defender, equipping my PvP Dobok only to save or help others. (174 votes [15.54%])

Percentage of vote: 15.54%

3. I will be a devious rascal, only equiping my PvP Dobok when victory is guaranteed. (70 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

4. I will equip my PvP Dobok whenever the urge to PvP arises, defender or not. (354 votes [31.61%])

Percentage of vote: 31.61%

5. I will store my PvP Dobok, hoping to never kill or die to another player. (77 votes [6.88%])

Percentage of vote: 6.88%

6. *Insert own answer here* Be sure to respond to the article with your own answer. (51 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Rate: ***** 9 Votes
5 9

Welcome to the Dojo's first official Community Voice!
Wondering what this is all about? Starting today, the Dojo will be releasing Community Voice articles containing a non-speculative Blade & Soul subject and a poll relating to the subject. Think of these articles as a recap segment of a specific Blade & Soul fact and a chance to voice your own opinions and speculations on the subject at hand.

What We Know About PvP in Blade & Soul
PvP in Blade & Soul is based on an optional flagging system. This means that PvP in Blade & Soul is not forced upon anyone and requires you to actively engage in player battles by equipping special PvP uniforms, or Doboks. Much like all body armor in Blade & Soul these PvP Doboks provide no stat advantages to your character and, besides its PvP purpose, are purely cosmetic.
*Note* New to Blade & Soul's stat customization? See this article for an explanation.

So, how does this work exactly? Upon equipping a PvP Dobok of a certain faction your name will appear red, hostile, to anyone that has the opposing factions Dobok equipped, of course their names will appear red to you as well. Whether or not these PvP Doboks only work in contested zones is currently unconfirmed by Team Bloodlust. We'll be sure to test that out for you in Blade & Soul's second closed beta test event, which will take place next month. Keep in mind that you can not swap out gear once you're in combat to prevent an inevitable defeat. Choose your battles wisely!

How does one obtain these PvP Doboks? You can acquire these Doboks through completing a quest for the corresponding faction upon reaching level 16. You can also buy them from the factions quartermaster if you've misplaced your quest reward Dobok. Blade & Soul's first closed beta test event only contained two PvP Doboks. However, Team Bloodlust has stated that there will indeed be more available in the later levels.

Posted Image
The two PvP Doboks found in Blade & Soul during CBT1.

Community Voice Polls
This wouldn't mean anything without the communities voice, your voice. So, let's here it! What do you think?

What do you think of this system?
  • I love it! Here's why...
  • I hate it! Here's why...
  • I'm neutral. Here's why...

How will you PvP?
  • I will wear my PvP Dobok proudly and fearlessly at all times, even if it will lead to my ultimate demise at times.
  • I will be a defender, equipping my PvP Dobok only to save or help others.
  • I will be a devious rascal, only equiping my PvP Dobok when victory is guaranteed.
  • I will equip my PvP Dobok whenever the urge to PvP arises, defender or not.
  • I will store my PvP Dobok, hoping to never kill or die to another player.
  • *Insert own answer here* Be sure to respond to the article with your own answer.
Posted in: News
Promoted from Community Voice: PvP

Comments

Epzilon Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 8:18 PM
This seems to imply that factions are already made, and that the players may not create their own... which is a little upsetting. Also, I really dont like to idea of being forced to wear something that significant to enter PvP play. My personal opinion: it should either have an on/off switch or PvP areas. Or a combination of both. As for the level 16 and quest requirements, they are a good idea and have some draw backs. 1) it makes the player gain some experience with the game and could possibly give them a better understanding of the faction they are fighting for (again I dont like the set factions. SURE make a few in game generated ones, but allow the players to create them too). 2) It restricts those who only want to play PvP.
Seraphy Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 8:19 PM
I love it. I'm not a PvP person, so being forced into doing something I dislike is never good. It helps with issues like PvP/PvE servers as well. If certain people don't wish to PvP, then they can still be on a PvP server (if it turns out like this). It's less of a hassle in choosing the right server to play on, especially if friends can't make up their minds. However, I'd still like to read more about the system. At the moment it seems too good to be true. Having some of the doboks also sorta limits the 'fashion.' If you like a certain look, but it enables PvP (and you don't want to PvP), you're kinda SOL.

My behavior in PvP has been to never attack people unless they attack me. If anything I'll probably be a defender to help friends / guildies. Other than that I probably won't use one.

@Epzilon
Remember that there are multiple ways guilds can be named in a MMO. Faction, guild, clan, legion, etc. So it may not be true that faction in B&S means a guild.
Ryochan Profile Photo Moderators
Jul 18, 2011 - 8:28 PM
I love it! Here's why,

There is always a time where you aren't in the mood for PVP, but want to get other activities done. The Doboks are excellent for huge PVP lovers and for people that dislike PVP. Some PVPers would be like "Sigh....I wish PVP was more open because I like the feeling of having to be aware that an enemy can be lurking by at any second or not. I like being able to make swift decisions on whether or not I should kill the mob I am fighting, or stun the mob then kill the player after, because it gives me the feeling of great accomplishment."

=D Well look no further, all you have to do is wear a Dobok at all times. The only difference is, there will be a mix of people on your faction, not fightable, or on an opposite faction. Unless you purposely look out for the people on the opposite PVP factions, you sure won't know when something is about to happen. The same feeling can be achieved~. Or perhaps you are having an off-day and want to avoid PVPing for a little while. All you have to do is just take the Dobok off and continue doing what you want to your liking.

The thing I like most though, is that once you engage in combat, you can't switch your clothes off because you're losing OR! if you have a Dobok on, and you see a PVPer coming after you while you're fighting a mob, you can't switch it off because you might get ganked (You put it on, you must accept the challenges that await you!). Imho, Team Bloodlust has thought and planned it out very well. Now the question that remains for me is, how are Clan battles going to be dealt with? Only time will tell.
Jul 18, 2011 - 8:30 PM
[b]I love this! It's a nice way to show that PvP is PART of the game, not all of it, which seems to lose big aspects in games. It's good to know its not forced on you at all, and that you can engage in it when you like and have fun. That's what this is about. You get alot of elitist sure, that forget that PvE is a big aspect of the game and only focus on this or get high level and PK low levels that ruins fun for new comers. Also, I like the fact that Blade and Soul has you fighting alot of player class based monsters. It helps people that don't usually PvP transition well and not have to fight entirely different in PvE and PvP situations. Most games you transition from PvE to PvP and it's a completely different plain. Moves don't act the same, hit ranges are different, etc. Blade and Soul stays true to itself, PvE or PvP and that's a big thumbs up.

(I will equip my PvP Dobok whenever the urge to PvP arises, defender or not.) Not a big PvPer usually. I PvP when i'm around people that aren't so entirely serious that it zaps the fun out of things. People that are good sports and so on. I think Blade and Soul will open me up to PvPing alot more often. I usually don't like to PvP because you learn the game through PvE and once i've done that i've developed my style to that. I don't want to have to entirely rebuild my character and my style JUST to fit a mode of the game. It's good to know I can stay me in and out of PvP.[/b]
Wolfie Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 9:08 PM
[font="Book Antiqua"]I love it, as Ryo pointed out there are times when you feel like PvPing and sometimes you don't. I likely won't wear it too much while leveling unless I get bored but at all other times it will be on 24/7. I love PvP and this seems like a great idea to both open PvP up to those who enjoy it and not frustrate people into quitting due to getting constantly ganked. I just hope it does not force you to change your style of clothing as while the screenshots look good, if I find a certain piece of armour I love I do not wish to have it covered simply because I am in PvP mode. I still hope they announce some form of teamplay arena. Not that awful one in Aion but like WoW.

Edit - Koala I love your avatar <3, Lara's new design looks amazing.[/font]
PaniC Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 9:32 PM
I Love it,
I play multiplayer online games for this reason alone. Killing a player ingame and imagining their frustrated faces on the other side of the internet connection is pure joy for me. When you kill another player, you know that a real person just saw their toon die infront of them, is still watching their dead toon being danced on, and is probably a little . . .mad. Killing raid bosses is fun, but it doesnt give me a sense of achievement. Achieving the right to laugh at someones face for losing to you. Bragging, taunting, and making someone miserable are all fun to be had at someone elses expense. Also when you see that same person take off their dobok after [s]fighting[/s] losing to you is just. . . kind of funny.
I like and dont like the way Team Bloodlust has implemented the PvP. I like the fact that people who actually want to pvp will be the ones donning the doboks. I dont like the fact that I cant waltz out of town and go find some random person questing and ruin their day. However, the positive out-weighs the negative for me. Above all else in PvP, killing one challenging opponent gives me more fun then killing ten noobs. It also enables me to taunt them harder for thinking they were good in the first place.
[img]http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd405/iPod_hellokitty/motivational%20posters/demotivational-posters-it-will-be-slow.jpg[/img]
BLöDSKääL Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 9:32 PM
I Love it... and here is why=

cuz i can pwn whenever i want, or dont want. iwill have it on 24/7... so im gonna be awesome like that:D
Ark Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 9:38 PM
It's good to have choices, nuff said.
Jul 18, 2011 - 9:57 PM
[quote name='PaniC' timestamp='1311042724' post='74690']
[/quote]

[b]That aspect is what would be FORCING people to PvP xD I think it's what makes it a change from PvP to flat out open PK. As much as I respect that enthusiasm, what you're asking is in many ways a game ruining aspect that alot of gamers would rather avoid. PvP when you want to, don't suffer for it if you don't. Reasonable and respectable terms to me.[/b]
Shinaji Profile Photo Moderators
Jul 18, 2011 - 10:02 PM
[color="#FFA500"][font="Century Gothic"]Well I don't like it, but I don't hate it, so Meh.
It's like SilkRoad's Cape system.
I'll wear mine all the time but it can't replace the atmosphere I'd like.
I guess there is no need for PvP and PvE servers then.
Accepting the game for what it is designed to be.[/font][/color]
Vex Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 10:03 PM
[color="#00FF00"] Glad you can choose to participate or not and lets hope there is better pvp Doboks as you lvl or gain rank or kills
[/color]
PaniC Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 10:10 PM
[quote]That aspect is what would be FORCING people to PvP xD[/quote]
Yup, that is why there is usually PvP and PvE servers to seperate the players.
Using the doboks seems like they are trying to get rid of that seperation.
Eleyon Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 10:15 PM
[quote name='PaniC' timestamp='1311042724' post='74690']
I Love it,
[/quote]

Ewww xD
JK, well gonna have PvP elitist in every game you play. Look forward to seeing you out there.

Cheers mate.

[quote name='PaniC' timestamp='1311045053' post='74699']
Yup, that is why there is usually PvP and PvE servers to seperate the players.
Using the doboks seems like they are trying to get rid of that seperation.
[/quote]
yeah, see what you mean. Makes me wonder what that will do for server stability. When you put on your dobok it wipes the mob monsters out and shows just players right? So technically you're still running around where everyone else is. Interesting.
RaikoLives Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 10:18 PM
[quote]I play multiplayer online games for this reason alone. Killing a player ingame and imagining their frustrated faces on the other side of the internet connection is pure joy for me. When you kill another player, you know that a real person just saw their toon die infront of them, is still watching their dead toon being danced on, and is probably a little . . .mad. Killing raid bosses is fun, but it doesnt give me a sense of achievement. Achieving the right to laugh at someones face for losing to you. Bragging, taunting, and making someone miserable are all fun to be had at someone elses expense. Also when you see that same person take off their dobok after fighting losing to you is just. . . kind of funny.[/quote]

This is why I don't PvP. This, to me, is the last thing I want to do, or have done to me. Have a game session ruined by some immature player whose spent 50 times longer playing the game than I have and believes they have right to "dance" and "taunt" and generally belittle others.

I think this system is a happy blend of the systems available. PvP servers are good, open PvP is popular too. This means, as some folks have said, you don't need to choose a specific server but can switch in or switch out of PvP at your whim. Good work Team Bloodlust.
Jul 18, 2011 - 10:24 PM
[b]Yeah, Raiko, i mean again i say, it's about having fun in the game. Whether that's PaniC's way or not, but still xD dance on the faces of people that wanted to PvP and you owned them. Not on people just trying to enjoy the game in PvP.

There comes a line between PvP and PK. But they have a nice blend in Blade and Soul, and the way it's done encourages people to PvP, I like that.[/b]

[quote name='Wolfie' timestamp='1311041287' post='74689']
[font="Book Antiqua"]I

Edit - Koala I love your avatar <3, Lara's new design looks amazing.[/font]
[/quote]

[b]Thank you! She is quite amazing <3[/b]
Lee Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 10:26 PM
[color="#FFFF00"][font="Century Gothic"]I like this system, and I like factions! But, how on earth will these factions be determined?
And, maybe this can be customized so we can fight rival guilds!
I have two concerns, though:
1) I'm hoping that there will be an option to now allow other players to interfere in fights
2) I'm hoping that we can make customizable Doboks in case no pre-made Doboks interest us.[/font][/color]
Eleyon Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 10:30 PM
[quote name='Lee' timestamp='1311045962' post='74703']
And, maybe this can be customized so we can fight rival guilds!
I have two concerns, though:
[/quote]
Kinda what i'm wondering xD
are you gonna earn your dobok be like 'OH YES! PvP time!' only to put it on and find that 90% of the game only wears 1 type of dobok so you get mass anal raped on sight?? lmao xDD questions questions
Ryjian Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 10:35 PM
I love it. Here's why.....

No "Stat Advantages", it all comes down to who plays their class better and who not has better equipment.
Lee Profile Photo Members
Jul 18, 2011 - 10:45 PM
[quote name='PaniC' timestamp='1311042724' post='74690']
I Love it,
[/quote]
[color="#00FFFF"][font="Century Gothic"]Isn't that a bit...harsh? It's fine to get poops and giggles out of someone's loss if the other person is joking about it, too. But...owie.[/font][/color]
Ghastly Profile Photo Moderators
Jul 18, 2011 - 10:47 PM
I'm neutral. I don't care about pvp but I will defend against it if anyone's trying to start trouble :laugh:

Good that you can equip something if you wanna pvp or keep it off if you don't want to.

Bad because you're forced to wear an uniform for it...individuality is one of the best aspects of B&S. Uniforms just makes everyone look and feel the same.

Maybe they'll change their mind and let us equip an accessory that glows a certain color.
  • 15 Pages +