Revast

Developer Interview Relay

25 posts in this topic

We will continue to update this thread with new interviews as they are released.

Update (3/14) - Added interview with cinematic team leader, Choi Hyung-Geun.

Update (2/9) - Added interview with lead concept artist, Lee Wang-Soo.

Developer Interview Relay Has Begun

On January 19th, we posted an interview with Blade & Soul's lead programmer, Hong Suk-Geun. Many of us found out that a lot of the important NPCs in the game are named after real people in the Blade & Soul development team. When we first heard the back-story, we were amazed by the witty yet sentimental feel of it. I'm sure many of you thought the lead programmer would look similar to the master in his small form, but after seeing Hong Suk-Geun's image and smiling eyes, he looked similar to both the hulking transformed version and the regular version.

gallery_2_176_25700.jpg

The Developer Interview Relay will cover various topics from never-before-seen amusing episodes in Blade & Soul to stories of hardship and difficulties that arose in the conceptual and development processes. I really hope these refreshing interviews will quench the thirst that many of you have been suffering from over the past few months due to the lack of news and updates.

So, when does this interview relay begin? The subsequent interviews containing interesting stories of Blade & Soul will arrive in early February. Below is a schedule of the coming interviews. We're also going to be answering a lot of the Korean communities questions in between the second and third interview articles.

<center><br /><table class="newstable" style="width:550px;text-align:center"><tr><th colspan="3" style="text-align:center">Developer Interview Relay Order</th></tr><tr><th style="text-align:center"></th><th style="text-align:center">Developer (Position)</th><th style="text-align:center">Details</th></tr><tr><td>1st</td><td>Hong Suk-Geun (Lead Programmer)</td><td>Get to Know the Developer</td></tr><tr><td>2nd</td><td>Lee Wang-Soo (Lead Concept Artist)</td><td>Intro to Character Creation</td></tr><tr><td>3rd</td><td>Choi Hyung-Geun (Cinematic Team Leader)</td><td>Intro to Cinematic Creation</td></tr><tr><td>4th</td><td>Song Hoh Gun (Sound Team Leader)</td><td>Intro to Sound Setup</td></tr><tr><td>5th</td><td>Joh Young Hwan (Lead Artist)</td><td>Intro to Scenery Creation</td></tr></table>This interview schedule is subject to change.</center>

Yeon, Blade & Soul's Korean community manager, proceeds to leave instructions for the Korean community on how to submit questions for the development team. Since we're not part of the Korean community it would be rather difficult for us to submit our questions. However, ask anyway! Go ahead and (neatly) leave your questions in a reply to this article. Our translating team may pick a few questions, translate them and submit them to the official Blade & Soul Korean site for us, if they are up to the task of course.

Source:

Official Korean site. Article translated by futilepath.

I'm sure this won't quench many people's thirst for more B&S info since the majority are waiting for info regarding the next phase and the game's actual launch. I'm looking forward to reading the behind the scenes interviews though. It's a good way to appreciate the nuances that goes into game development.

im down for gathering questions from here and posting it on the official page. i have a few questions i wanna ask myself~

a lot of korean users already started posting questions.

we can use this thread to compile a list of worthy questions and ill translate them. (if yuan helps, itll be a godsend ^^)

Ask away people! This is where we get character/costume design information :yes:

For me I just want to know if they will keep adding more hairstyles as time goes by? Not a great question I know lol

It should be interesting nonetheless.

Have you improved the male designs by major demand?

How will Qi Gong be further improved/advanced?

Will wall-jumps/running still be implented?

Other than that, I'm really extremely satisfied with the current game state.

Ghastly is probably still praying for that hammer~

Tashigi still wants better textures~

Edited by Amaro57

Now that you bring it up Amaro that's going to be my question. Will there be more weapon choices in the future? Example: Destroyers using a hammer makes perfect sense.

Most of my questions are in regards to main development (end game plans, Qing Gong uses, etc.)... doesn't really suit roles like artist or sound.

I'm pretty satisfied with character customization. There's a lot of random things like glasses in the client files.

Edited by Seraphy

Any questions I have would probably be weapon related or customization related. And I'm sure the latter is being worked on so I'm not worried about it really.

Hope you guys get some of those questions answered.

What features do you have planned to extend the world to have it feel more like an MMO with dynamic world changes and players having an affect on the game world as opposed to feeling like moving from instance dungeon to instance dungeon as you level up?

Double checking the list none of those guys won't be able to answer this question most likely.

"Can you please have this on the Playstation 3?"

My question is like begging! I can only play this on console. :-(

Notice how they saw they're going to answer questions in between the second and third articles, hence, the people being interviewed won't be asked the questions, Shinaji and Seraphy.

There is clearly a black bold line of epicness between the second and third interviews on the chart.

Edited by Amaro57

if its okay wit you guys, i am going to post the questions officially. like, i will state that im representing the bns dojo community, and then post questions.

who knows? they may mention us in one of the interviews~ xD

if its okay wit you guys, i am going to post the questions officially. like, i will state that im representing the bns dojo community, and then post questions.

Go for it!

I support this! We know them, they know us, it's a win win :yes:

From the 6 confirmed classes in B&S, which class is your personal favorite and why?

Besides combat and fighting, will B&S features various crafting skills?

Will B&S have a dynamic day and night cycle?

How many and what type of emoticon will players have in B&S have to express their individual personality? So far we mostly see the crossed arm stance when players are standing idle.

Aside from asking if they are going to be beginning the localization process soon , I don't know what ot ask. I mean, that's really all I want to know. Well, I guess I would like to know if they ahve any idea how many more CBT they are planning to have, have their plans changed any from when they first announced only one final CBT. Stuff like that.

:embarrassed:

From the 6 confirmed classes in B&S, which class is your personal favorite and why?

Besides combat and fighting, will B&S features various crafting skills?

Will B&S have a dynamic day and night cycle?

How many and what type of emoticon will players have in B&S have to express their individual personality? So far we mostly see the crossed arm stance when players are standing idle.

Current Crafts

Hidden Content
Crafters

Blacksmith

Alchemist

Bo-Pae Sculptor

Handicrafter

Pharmacist

Cooking

Ceramist

Gatherers

Herbalist

Harvester

Fisher

Hunter

Miner

Stonecutter

Lumberjack

I hope they do dynamic day/night, but I remember reading about how that was unlikely to happen (either due to engine or just because it's already static).

I got some questions of myself:

[Character Team] I'll have to go with Amaro57 question, really want to know. "Have you improved the male designs by major demand?"

[Cinema Team] Proximately, how long will be the total of cutscenes when the game releases?

[scenery Team] Where did they get inspiration to create the amazing world of B&S? Books, images, pure imagination?

[sound Team] Some of the scores are being made in Japan. Is it hard working with a team that isn't exactly there in Korea?

[ETC] What is the name of the Blade & Soul world? It has to have a name, right? (OffTopic: Seriously, would love to know the answer to this one. Don't think it ever came to public...)

guys try to post questions with the specific department header~ will make organizing these questions into their respective categories much easier...

Character Team: Roughly how many NPC's are in the game? Did you just use similar character models for NPC's, or are they all different in their own way?

Cinema Team: Will there be any cut scenes that party members, as well as yourself, be apart of? Or is it strictly our own character?

Scenery Team: Are there any locations in game that closely relate to locations around the real world?

Sound Team: What is the inspiration behind the music you've created?

What's wrong with the male designs? They seem diverse enough to me. You have masculine faces, softer faces, etc. Looks diverse enough to me, but I am guessing there are some major complaints with them.

I am not sure, which department to address, but how expansive is the PVP?

What's wrong with the male designs? They seem diverse enough to me. You have masculine faces, softer faces, etc. Looks diverse enough to me, but I am guessing there are some major complaints with them.

I am not sure, which department to address, but how expansive is the PVP?

Not too sure about specifics on the male design. I know this topic was quite an extensive one:

2 Questions :

Will they involve some sort of Arena system? A place were people or guilds in-general can compete and win something or if it’s not PvP/TvT style matches what about a fortress system where players need to capture a fort/castle/Something big and when they succeed, the guild with more points gets a bonus. Basically something else than the standard PvP, PvE gameplay that will make this game more competitive for players

Now for designs I would like to know if we will have a chance to change our characters appearance in-game (face, body size, etc)

Edited by Exodus